Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 08:28 PM

2 posts, read 45,120 times

Advertisements

I over paid on my escrow in 2008 for approximately $1500.00. I am 22 years old and have owned my house for 2 years. My dad got a check in the mail from his bank for the over payment and told me it was the law that they had to refund the money. I called Wells Fargo today and they told me they would put the over payment towards my mortgage? This makes no sense to me as I understand it is my money and I should get a check and use it for what I chose? My mortgage is paid off months in advance so it has nothing to do with owing anyone money. Does anyone have any info about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 08:56 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,675,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floofy07 View Post
I over paid on my escrow in 2008 for approximately $1500.00. I am 22 years old and have owned my house for 2 years. My dad got a check in the mail from his bank for the over payment and told me it was the law that they had to refund the money. I called Wells Fargo today and they told me they would put the over payment towards my mortgage? This makes no sense to me as I understand it is my money and I should get a check and use it for what I chose? My mortgage is paid off months in advance so it has nothing to do with owing anyone money. Does anyone have any info about this?
How is putting the overpayment toward your next mortgage payment(s) any different than the bank giving you a check for $1500 so you can write them a check or checks back for the next $1500 due on the mortgage? Either way they just reduced your net cash outflow by $1500, so whether they write you a check or credit your next payments, the dollars and cents are the same. Your pocket is up $1500. Or am I missing something else?

Old 03-04-2009, 10:04 PM

2 posts, read 45,120 times
thats it, they wont be "crediting" my next payment just putting it towards the principle, but I will still owe the next payment just as if they hadn't done so.

Old 03-05-2009, 12:37 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,675,136 times
Quote:
thats it, they wont be "crediting" my next payment just putting it towards the principle, but I will still owe the next payment just as if they hadn't done so.
I suspect your father is correct, but I'm not 100% sure. You might want to do some more searching on this.

I would send a registered return receipt letter to them requesting the full amount of overpayment to be refunded by check immediately, and also request a response indicating when this will be done. Also you probably did this, but review the paperwork, to find out if there is any information. If they refuse, ask them what permits them to do so. (This might prompt a check to get written, or you to at least get an answer).

The problem here is, the bank is really using your money for no cost. Multiply that by many customers who had escrow overpayments and that's probably a truckload of money that helps to offset all of the mortgage losses.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:06 AM

620 posts, read 1,837,979 times
My company does an escrow "assessment" around April, keeps a certain amount for a "cushion" as they call it and then sends a check for the difference. I'm quite a bit over and in fact called them about it and that's what they told me. I know in the past I have received a check for overpayment.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:00 PM

122 posts, read 519,319 times
Default escrow...

I received a check from my bank last year, I had an overpayment of $800 or so. My bank needs a cushion of $300 or so, so I received a little over $400 from them. That is their policy, to return the money to me.

This year, I had an underpayment, after the cushion, of $50 some dollars, instead of requesting the money outright, they are adding it to my house payment, a little each month, until the next assessment.

That is my local credit unions policy. Maybe Wells Fargo has a different policy.

Just call them and I'm sure you'll get the answers.

Good luck.

Old 09-27-2011, 09:06 PM

2 posts, read 36,458 times
Lightbulb escrow overpayment

Yes you are missing something. "The Question". The person asking the question wanted to know weather or not the mortgage company had a right to dispurse his/her escrow overpayment any way they liked or if he/she had the right to request a refund of the 1500.00 overpayment. Yes he/she has a right to request said funds be refunded to him/her. Doesn't matter if it reduces his/her's net cash outflow by 1500.00 the point is that it should've been the choice of the consumer who could've had other plans for the money not the mortgage company. Its the principal of the thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
How is putting the overpayment toward your next mortgage payment(s) any different than the bank giving you a check for $1500 so you can write them a check or checks back for the next $1500 due on the mortgage? Either way they just reduced your net cash outflow by $1500, so whether they write you a check or credit your next payments, the dollars and cents are the same. Your pocket is up $1500. Or am I missing something else?

Old 09-27-2011, 09:12 PM

2 posts, read 36,458 times
I to have my mortgage through wells fargo. A couple of years back of overpaid and they sent me a check for the difference. I've been with them for 9 years and I've never known them to keep the money.

Quote:

Old 02-14-2012, 11:03 AM

1 posts, read 16,525 times
i am in default with my mortgage company by 12 months and i had always overpaid on my monthlly payments so i had a $165.00 overpayment in my account since early 2011 when I was unable to make furhter payments.

I have been trying to get a modification and they sent a letter requesting documents which i returnd ontime although they requested it to be returned by march 2, 2012. THey sent me a letter stating that I did not comply with returning the docs on time so I am ineligible to receive a modification. How can this be. Is that why they returned my overpayment so they can pursue foreclosure actions against me? I am working with A-Home to help with mortgage payment services. How can this work for me?

Old 01-27-2014, 05:45 PM

1 posts, read 8,656 times
I just got my check of $1600. It should be up to you if u want to make extra mortgage payment or keep the money for your own personal use. They shouldn't just automatically make a payment. That's YOUR money. My bank us B of A
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
View detailed profiles of: