Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2008, 11:19 AM

25 posts, read 109,671 times

Advertisements

Hi. Could anyone tell me about medium size areas around the New Richmond, WI area? We have 5 children and we are looking for a family friendly, pretty area to relocate to. Thank you for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 05:23 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,914,047 times
What do you consider medium sized? What size is New Richmond do you feel? If you want a little larger, I have always heard good things about River Falls. I grew up in Amery and liked it. Of course, there is Hudson, but I have never thought too much about Hudson.

Both Amery and RF are family-friendly. Especially Amery. Life tends to revolve around the schools (but not totally). It is also only 20 miles from NR and would have cheaper housing than RF. RF has the college and I'm guessing more cultural activities. It has really been built up in the last 10 years, though (hence the rise in housing).

Again, what size are you thinking and how far away from NR are you thinking?

Old 08-24-2008, 06:14 PM

25 posts, read 109,671 times
Thank you for your help. As far as size, we are thinking 50 to 100 thousand people. While you are answering questions for me, do you know anything about the Catholic elementary schools in the area?

Old 08-24-2008, 09:36 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,914,047 times
Ooohh... 50-100,000 people? I'm curious, where are you coming from and why are you moving?

New Richmond is in St. Croix County (as is RF, I think), it has a total population of about 80,000. Amery is in Polk County, which has a total population of about 50,000. NR has a population of 8,000; Amery a population of 3,000; RF a population of 13,000. (all the city populations were taken off of City-Data, census taken 2006)

This is the land of small towns, considering both NR and RF are considered medium to large towns. While growing up (graduated mid-90s), Amery was the only town in the county to have a stoplight. We had one. Then we got another and so did a few other towns. I'm saying all of this, because you might have some more questions...

For a city that size, you have to look at the Twin Cities area in MN (Eau Claire is large as well, but the Twin Cities are much closer). Most people live in these areas and commute to the Cities. If you would rather live across the border, it would probably be better to post a question in the MN forum. There aren't a lot of west-central posters here.

I don't have any experience with the Catholic school system in NR (if there is one) or RF (there is one). Most towns here are one-school towns. However, I did grow up in the diocese. I feel like I had a very good Catholic experience through CCD. My cousin attends church in RF and seems to enjoy it. Her daughter is just starting kindergarten in RF, but I believe she is going to public school. I also enrolled my son in Catholic preschool in a different town (too far away from NR, but still in the diocese) and we were very happy with it. I wish he could still be attending there. I know each school is different, but each school within the diocese will have the same basic rules/theme/whatever.

Please ask more questions and I will answer them the best that I can. I have a feeling that you might need to ask a lot more...

Like I said, there aren't many posters from this area of the state in the forum right now. The ones that have posted in the recent past seem to have a very negative connotation of the area. And while there have been some good information in the negative posts (you can search for old posts), a lot of space has been given to people who just don't like small towns--so it isn't necessarily the area, but their attitude.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:09 AM

746 posts, read 2,175,740 times
I would suggest a visit over to Hudson and River Falls, WI. Hudson is close enough to the Twin Cities that many people commute there for work and it is almost like a suburb. It has many big box stores along the interstate. River Falls is a college town and so has that feel to it. I went to college there and really liked the town.
If you absolutely have to have a larger city, you'll need to go into MN towards St. Paul. A lot of people will say that WI taxes are high because of the property taxes. But, having lived in both MN and WI, I can say they are pretty equal as MN income taxes and various fees are higher. Schools in both states are in general very good.
As far as scenery, all the towns along the WI/MN border are very beautiful. The area is made up of bluffs and valleys due to the St. Croix and Mississippi rivers that form the border.

Old 04-14-2009, 05:20 PM

1 posts, read 5,300 times
Agreed, there is no such thing as a 50k or 100k population unless u move into the twin cities. WI side of the boarder is all small towns in comparasion to other places in the USA. Even Hudson and River Falls are small in comparasion. Hudson you will also find much higher prices as it is considered a bedroom community to the twin cities. (right aross the boarder) Twin cities is the only metropolitian area if that is the living experience you are looking for on the western boarders. When I located here, I had hoped to find something of 20k or 30k population. Small town feel with all the shopping and just big enough that everyone isn't all up in your business. Didn't happen. Hudson offered more but also had rental prices you would find in Washinton DC suburbs. I choose to reside in New Richmond. Not gonna pay crazy prices for small town USA. New Richmond has grown in the last 10 years but still a small community that is no where near 20k population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin