Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2010, 08:14 AM

18 posts, read 47,656 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Can anyone give me an idea of likes and/or dislikes about living in this area? We are familiar with the area from a visiting stand point.

My outdoorsey family loves this area and are looking to move hopefully sooner than later. I am a non sworn Ranger with the Forest Preserve District of DuPage County IL, my husband an all around carpenter possibly looking for a more stable career, and my middle school boy like us, just can't get enough of the outdoors.

Job outlook areas?
Cost of living?
Schools?
Fishing, horses, snowmobiling, nature, wildlife?
10-20 acres?
Quiet?

Thanks for your negative, positive, or nuetral insight!

Need to Get out of Congested DuPage County, and family
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 05:16 PM

2,661 posts, read 3,858,594 times
Lived in Palmyra for about a year about 15 yrs ago.
Very backwards people with little insight into anything. Beer drinkin and shooting at old cars on the back 40 was the hobby of the day.
Scenery was very pretty though.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:04 PM

Good to know thank you. I sure want my son to have more to live for than that.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:24 PM

45 posts, read 168,142 times
It would be helpful to know which section of the Kettle Moraine area you're interested in. There's both a Northern and a Southern area. Quite a wide variety of communities within each -- including some high-end places, some very rural areas, and some with all the amenities like good shopping, restaurants and entertainment.

In general, it's a beautiful area with a multitude of outdoor recreational pursuits available year-round.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:53 PM

We are interested in the southern portion. My in-laws have a cottage on Lake Delavan that we are trying to stay nearer to.

Thanks for asking

Old 04-28-2010, 05:43 PM

14,322 posts, read 14,618,819 times
The job situation could be difficult as unemployment is on the high side. I can understand the wanting to move part, I left NE Illinois to have a safer, quieter life as I get older. I love driving around here, my neighbor says, you go out at "rush" hour??? What a hoot!!!

However, I am retired and do not need to work. If I had to be working, I would have stayed in Illinois, I had a good contract job with Manpower. There are people posting here who have left Wisconsin and are now in Illinois and I'm pretty sure it was for a better job opportunity.

By all means check it out, it is a great area but first and foremost, jobs!

Old 05-02-2010, 06:45 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,285,067 times
15 years ago is a long time, and besides, any small town in america will have that. I wouldn't worry too much with the internet and all.. it keeps all sorts connected these days. Move to a town with more then 10,000 and no problem.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:31 AM

5 posts, read 13,797 times
If you're looking for that much land for an affordable price and decent schools, probably Eagle, Gennesse, maybe East Troy. That's a lot land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin