Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 03:17 AM

610 posts, read 3,015,655 times

Advertisements

Does anyone believe in that statement? I feel that someone with a PhD in 20 different fields who doesn't know anyone is in a worse position than someone with a GED who is a people person and knows a lot of people.

I feel that about 95% of the jobs out there follow the philosophy I mentioned above. Obviously is someone wants to be a doctor, pharmacist, nurse, etc, you have to have knowledge of the medical field or if you want to be a CPA you need to have knowledge of accounting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 03:44 AM

13,626 posts, read 10,029,608 times
I agree entirely with that statement.
Although if you are comparing jobs that need qualifications with jobs that don’t, there are always more unskilled jobs available, and qualifications are restricting, in that they often tie you to one field.
On the point of people that know lots of people, I know of a large number of people that get jobs from drinking acquaintances, and are never really out of work.

Old 06-22-2010, 03:59 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,840,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heeha View Post
Does anyone believe in that statement? I feel that someone with a PhD in 20 different fields who doesn't know anyone is in a worse position than someone with a GED who is a people person and knows a lot of people.

I feel that about 95% of the jobs out there follow the philosophy I mentioned above. Obviously is someone wants to be a doctor, pharmacist, nurse, etc, you have to have knowledge of the medical field or if you want to be a CPA you need to have knowledge of accounting.
even in fields that require a high level of education/certification/licensing etc, it can still be a case of who you know that lands you the job you want in the place you want to work.

Old 06-22-2010, 04:04 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heeha View Post

In this market, I agree with this statement. When hiring managers have hundreds of applications to choose from, they need some way to weed. Picking the people with personal references from people they know is a good start.

Old 06-22-2010, 04:19 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
This is always true.

Old 06-22-2010, 04:23 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,075,727 times
...which is exactly why networking is so important...you can get to 'know' people even if you don't 'know' them...

Old 06-22-2010, 05:21 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
This is usually what people who can't fnd jobs like to use as an excuse.

Old 06-22-2010, 05:24 AM

1,828 posts, read 4,655,977 times
And a quite true excuse at that.

Old 06-22-2010, 05:41 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times
Actually you need both. But they keep talking about networking, so you do need to know someone. And you need to be able to do the job.

Old 06-22-2010, 05:44 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,936,007 times
I've seen it happen more times than I can count. I know of a company that had posted a position available and they wanted all sorts of specific things regarding experience and, especially, education. Actually interviewed and then rejected people who had the experience, skills, and education. I just heard they found their person: a friend's niece who has not a single attribute listed in the ad. She's smart and will figure it out---as would any of the other people they rejected.

I know of an owner of a restaurant who desperately needed an assistant manager. Placed an ad in the paper. Wanted experience, a degree, blah, blah, blah. Interviewed a bunch of people and not a single one was "right". Last week he promoted his server...no experience, no degree. So why put all of the other applicants through that whole grueling process to begin with?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment