Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 02:13 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,719,529 times

Advertisements

Well as some of you know, I'm coming to the end of my employment search. I got called in for an interview in Kentucky, which is 8 hours from here. The job seemed really good, great pay, good opportunity for advancement. Well I get in the door and he hiring manager asks a few questions and then tells me that my position that I was applying got filled but they had something else which was as good. He describes the position, it's not as good, but maybe there is some perk, better salary, better hours perhaps. Nope. This job paid 32k per year. The worst part is I went down on my own dime. How irritating!

I've never seen this before. They did offer me the job, but it was over 10k below what my minimum salary is.

Oh well, at least I got some good fishing in, but I'm still ticked that they wasted 2 hours of my vacation with this interview.

Here's the question, if a company is unilaterally changing the position you are interviewing for, what is the proper decorum? Should they have called me? Just tell me once I get there?

And I will post the company's name once I accept the other position I am getting offered here, because that was scummy, and people should see this company for what it is... And you've all heard of this company, I guarantee it, they employ about 70000 in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 02:16 PM

And I should add that the only reason that I even went down for this interview was because it was in my first choice of cities. I actually would have accepted a lot less than my minimum to live there... I guess it wasn't meant to be.

Old 06-23-2010, 02:18 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
That is pretty messed up. Personally I have never heard of that.

Old 06-23-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
That is pretty messed up. Personally I have never heard of that.
I know. I am half considering accepting the position and then reneging the day before I should start... But there's that thing about burning bridges.

My plan now is to take a job locally (which sucks when you live in a town as rotten as Buffalo) work it for 2-3 years, then relocate. With the salary I'll be earning here, I should have close to $70,000 saved up, making a move very easy since money won't be tight (I only have $8000 saved now).

And one more thing, because it gets asked all the time here. I've applied to about 10 jobs in Buffalo, gotten interviews with about 5-7, I've probably applied to close to 200 outside of the region and gotten 1 pre-screen interview, 1 actual phone interview, and 2 in-person interviews. Buffalo's economy is terrible for my line of work (banking, but the job I'm accepting is in transportation management). That should say how difficult it is to get jobs outside of your region -- nearly impossible.

Old 06-23-2010, 06:55 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,468,083 times
Yeah, it happened to me once. They said that morning before the interview they decided to move an internal person into the job, so that person's old job was available and they asked if I wanted to interview for that position. I said sure and got hired and once I started working there I learned the person had made the internal transfer about 3 weeks prior, not the morning of. The pay was the same. I was actually a better fit for the 2nd job anyway.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:50 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
I've had it happen with a local position, but I'd be pissed as hell if I had traveled out of town (or state) on my own dime to interview for a position that wasn't there any longer.

Old 06-24-2010, 12:05 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,717,779 times
Luckily, you have four other offers on the table, including a couple for over $50K. Imagine how much worse this would be if you didn't have so many back-up options.

Old 06-24-2010, 02:02 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
Don't think I could accept that other job unless it was a better job and a perfect fit for me. I believe I would be unhappy with any company that didn't respect me enough to let me know in advance the job I was traveling to interview for had been filled. I think it's very disrespectful and most likely intentional on their part.

Old 06-24-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Luckily, you have four other offers on the table, including a couple for over $50K. Imagine how much worse this would be if you didn't have so many back-up options.
Not anymore, 2 haven't been on the table in a long time, and I said no to another... Now it's between this and the better job... It seems pretty obvious.

Old 06-24-2010, 06:31 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,699,747 times
I guess I must have missed something, but, I thought you had posted something about you having tons of well paying job offers? I would think you would simply just move onto the next good job offer since you are so highly in demand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment