Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 11:33 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,938,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
There are earthquakes in Orlando, Fla???
There's millions of dollars spent on earthquake upgrades for federal buildings all over Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 01:57 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
There's millions of dollars spent on earthquake upgrades for federal buildings all over Florida.
Ok ... Is it because there are ACTUALLY earthquakes in Orlando or is this just another example of government waste? Structures in California are often made with wood because it offers flexibility in the event of an earthquake. From my limited understanding, Orlando uses bricks for fortification of properties to help withstand the force of the hurricane winds. Bricks are not appropriate for earthquake-prone areas and wood is not appropriate for hurricane-prone areas. You would think that building codes would have hurricane fortification as their priority versus earthquakes?

Old 06-29-2010, 06:31 AM

1,828 posts, read 4,656,456 times
Quote:
And neither does Obama and the current Democratic regime.
Someone has to clean up the mess left behind

Old 06-29-2010, 10:49 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
There are earthquakes in Orlando, Fla???
I've lived here for over five years and have never felt an earthquake. Hurricanes, tornados, lightning, sinkholes, sure. Earthquakes, not so much.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:54 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,789,526 times
We need a WPA in America and cleaning up oil isn't exactly the best idea.
That is just more $$ we'll have to spend later on these people's hospital bills.

I'd much rather get serious on renewable energy and provide tax credits to businesses and individuals who buy solar panels and wind turbines that were manufactured in the USA by individuals who are receiving a living wage.

We need to invest in our infrastructure. High speed rail is possible and necessary. The cars for these trains can be built here in the U.S. by workers making a living wage.

Affordable housing is a big deal. We need to try to develop a way to make housing more affordable. Tax credits for buying a home only drive up the cost of housing. I realize people don't want their homes to lose value BUT I'd rather see the cost of housing come down. If people's home values decrease, the bank should let people pay off the current value of their home, not what the original loan value was. Too bad our "representatives" won't pass a law forcing banks to do this. It would slow the rate of foreclosure and help plenty of families.

We can work on making our buildings more energy efficient. Many schools can be retrofitted to be more energy efficient.

There are plenty of job creation ideas "our representatives" can explore but they refuse to.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:56 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,789,526 times
Quote:
And neither does Obama and the current Democratic regime.
Regime?

Old 06-29-2010, 04:45 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,002,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekAnthony View Post
Hows this make sense if its only temporary.............................

Where's the REAL jobs we were promised Barack?
It's not President Obama's fault; it's these companies/corporations closing and/or outsourcing ...

Besides, the previous president left this economy in a mess. The economy didn't get this way overnight. Took 8 years for these results...

Old 06-29-2010, 05:13 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,719,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
It's not President Obama's fault; it's these companies/corporations closing and/or outsourcing ...

Besides, the previous president left this economy in a mess. The economy didn't get this way overnight. Took 8 years for these results...
Haha, wow, so when President Bush inherits a recession which was deepened greatly by 9/11 and he causes a recession. Senator Obama and the Democrats who controlled Congress since 2006 create legislation that forces banks to make loans to poor minorities (who then default) are totally innocent. Yes President Bush was wrong for signing the law, but Democrats act like he forced their hand (when he had nothing to do with those amendments on war supplementals and other bills)

I see how this works.

I thought Obama said that at some point he had to take ownership... My guess is that the "change" he discussed had more to do with dismantling our market-based economy, and transitioning to a centrally-planned economy.

So when is Obama responsible? My guess is that the answer for his apologists is, "It won't be his fault ever, even if this recession last 9 years, because BOOSH!"

Just like BP's well getting blown up on Obama's watch isn't his fault, but Bush's, while Hurricane Katrina was also his fault. At some point people realize that the people making these arguments are complete morons in need of a mental health screening.

Old 06-29-2010, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Ok ... Is it because there are ACTUALLY earthquakes in Orlando or is this just another example of government waste? Structures in California are often made with wood because it offers flexibility in the event of an earthquake. From my limited understanding, Orlando uses bricks for fortification of properties to help withstand the force of the hurricane winds. Bricks are not appropriate for earthquake-prone areas and wood is not appropriate for hurricane-prone areas. You would think that building codes would have hurricane fortification as their priority versus earthquakes?
Check this Peak Ground Acceleration Map.

2008 U.S. Geological Survey National Seismic Hazard Map. These figures are probabilistic ground motion maps for Peak Ground Acceleration (PGA), 1Hz (1.0 second SA), and 5Hz (0.2 second SA). Some additional spectral accelerations (SA) are also included for central and southern California. Most figures correspond to the 2% in 50 year probability of exceedance, but there are a few figures for the 10% in 50 year and the 5% in 50 year probability of exceedance as well. The latter figures are identified in the listing below, or can be identified by examining the file name and looking for a “10pc50” or “5in50” (respectively). All ground motion probabilities are computed for the B/C Boundary (Vs30 = 760 m/s). If similar maps were created for the 2002 update,

2008 NSHM Figures

Continental US map

As you can see from the map the ground really shakes in Florida.

My job is designing sprinklers and they is earthquake sway bracing required on every single federal job in Florida, even Key West, along with jobs that get federal money. A 20 story bank building in downtown Miami won't get it but a single story tool shed to house lawn mowers at Homestead Air Force Base certainly will.

Boosts cost by 5 to 10%... doing a small job now I bid it $47,000 with seismic and $42,600 as an alternate without in case they were kidding. Foggy Bottom wasn't kidding, my contract came in at $47,000.

I am small fry, $4,800 is chump change but when you add all the trades, plumbing, HVAC and even general construction, that building that should have cost $22 million can, and probably will, end up costing $25 million and we wonder why we can't balance a budget.

Not saying it is all a waste because some areas of the country really need it but Key West???

Old 06-29-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post

It took 50 years to achieve these results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment