Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 11:33 PM

299 posts, read 903,677 times

Advertisements

To get this thread back on topic and answer the question of "Is the current recession as serious as reported in the media?," the answer for me is yes.

For the unemployed, the situation IS as bad as the media makes it out to be. While companies may not be laying employees off at the drop of a hat like they were in 2008 and 2009, they aren't bringing those jobs back either.

I live in a community where the 3 biggest employers are the local school district and 2 government-supported hospitals. So, I think it is fair to say that the government is what drives the economy around here. The private sector around here has struggled ever since a major steel mill dramatically downsized its workforce in the early 1980's, and the economy has yet to recover. This is a major problem in cities with 100,000 people or less.

The bottom line almost everywhere in America is that the private sector just isn't adding jobs. Everyone thought that Obama's white elephant stimulus bill was going to help revive the economy by now, but clearly, that isn't going to happen in the foreseeable future. I'm praying that the economy shows some signs of life within the next year because by then I will have graduated college and be searching in earnest for a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 04:44 PM

42 posts, read 55,782 times
Howdy Go yanks 57. I was not intending to bring the subject off topic. It was in fact that I am blind in both eyes and Anna corrects for me. Mine was supposed to be a new post.
One may not believe. But I do not think this is Hype. It may seem like hype but let us consider. Did you know we were trying to get a loan or money from China? China has stored up money. But China would rather interconnect money exchanged in same way of a similar currency. The recession also hit the UK. They borrowed several billions from the IMF international monetary funds. It’s not hype because more than America got hit with the recession. And remember just before Bush left office he told us its coming. Obama entered the recessionAlthough this is not an exact Bible prophecy it does correlate with future prophecy and how hard things are going to get. I am aware of many Global events because of the bible because what Jesus told us. And what Jesus says is really happening. This may be off topic one might say. But if you knew Bible prophecy you would expect things such as recessions. In the Book of Revelation is a rider on Black horse who has scales in his hand. This scale represents the balance of the economy. It shows us a days wage for a quart of wheat. That’s like a loaf of bread. The hard times have just begun. This is no hype. Want to know other prophecies of the Bible write to me and I will share? The Lord is 1000 percent correct with no exaggeration. Our recession and merges fits in well with Bible prophecy that is happening now and more is to come.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:51 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,556,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_CD View Post
I've sent an email to the companies in the article for further information about the available positions.
I received two responses from the three emails I sent. So, two companies are on the ball and one is not really for investing in... oh wait... finding a job at.

Both responses pointed me to their web page of job listings. But one actually suggested I send a resume directly to them and they would check with the company managers for a fit. Nice work!!!

I'm not looking for a job and won't be going any further with my research on this, but will be looking at the stock of both companies that responded to my emails. It's always good see people working hard instead of wasting investor dollars.

So, if anyone is looking for work in Phoenix some companies actually are looking for workers.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:48 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,643,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9.3BillionBionicBear View Post
I also knew He would be like a dictator. They thought W Bush was bad dragging us in the war. But what many don’t realize is that Bush was trying to keep war off America soil. Not over here.
This is a ridiculous statement. First of all, it was Bush who pushed for federal wiretapping. That's sounds more dictator-like than anything Obama has called for. Second, the idea that you fight a war overseas to prevent one over here is laughable. The terrorists can attack both here and there.

Quote:
With Obama in office He likes the Islamic. That’s cool but the terrorists can get in here easier now And as for jobs Obama says the recession is over.
That first part sounds like you have issues with Muslims. Here's a newsflash for you. Not all Muslims are terrorists and not all terrorists are Muslims. I personally think it's great to have a President who's willing to reach out to Muslim countries for help in fighting terrorism. That's a low better than being a cowboy like Bush who clings to simplistic "you're either with us or against us" views of the world. As for the second part, I don't recall Obama ever saying the recession is over. But even if he did, technically he's correct. The definition of a recession is two consequent quarters of a decline in GDP. GDP has actually increased. Problem is the jobs haven't come back. Listing all the companies that have gone under doesn't prove we're in a recession. Sounds to me like you don't know what the word means. Go pick up an econ book before you post about stuff you don't understand.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:18 PM

436 posts, read 908,390 times
maybe worse, when you have people with degrees flipping burgers, it is really bad.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:23 AM

42 posts, read 55,782 times
Hey Denny. I’ll be honest to say I don’t know everything. But honestly to say there is not one person who knows everything. Whether this is a technical recession or not I do know a lot of people lost work. Even if this is not defined as recession America is not out of trouble however they define recession.
My sister’s Husband got let go of work. It took him over a year to get back. I know a guy who has been struggling for years to try to get steady work. He is pretty good at math. I have a friend named Donna who has been a teacher’s aide. Many people have been let go. Despite they like her at the school whoever is hiring her is not letting her come back unless they can find something else for her to do.
Sir I know this one thing for sure before Obama took office He was anti-American refusing to salute to The USA flags. Should that not bring red flags to us? Obama is not about America. He is all about the World.
I never said I hated Islam. It is in fact in school I had a best friend name Hamed jan from Afghanistan. Sometimes when I take the taxis some of them are Islamic and I talk to them. Then what is the issue?
Well if you did not know Obama stopped prayers in Pentagon. No more God. Although previously He went to a church Obama has attended an Islamic school growing up. Truly He was not a Christian.
Did you know they are planning on building a mosque right by where the trade towers were attacked? Islamic says because we want to prove we are peaceful. This may be true. Only that this would trigger off bad memories for those who remember the 2001 attack. They could have built a mosque anywhere by so near the place that was attacked on 2001. I don’t know if this project is going to go through or not it is being talked about.
I know there is a difference between True Islamic and of Terrorist. But there are some who say they may be truly Islamic but more in plans of attacking this country. Many of the avengers have said they America helped Israel for our Blood they have shed and America we will get their blood don’t think the terrorists have forgotten. They want us to be surprised. But whether one likes W Bush or not he had more of a defense. Our defense is being put down making being attacked just that more possible. They caught the one at times square. Those who still want vengeance on America true Islamic would not but Obama favors Islam over other beliefs. And if you have lived in the county of Iran under the laws of he Koran let’s see how you can deal with this? America would become another Iran Koran directed nation. Would you really want to lose your first amendments under the law of Koran?.
Obama is not about America. He is not with us. He has his own agendas that he feels he needs to do whether America likes it or not.

Old 07-17-2010, 06:45 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,200,443 times
Quote:
Well if you did not know Obama stopped prayers in Pentagon. No more God. Although previously He went to a church Obama has attended an Islamic school growing up. Truly He was not a Christian.
I know this isn't the politics forum but I can't resist a comment here... who the F cares? If there is a quality about a President I couldn't care less about I would honestly have trouble topping whether he is a Christian. There are plenty of points to complain about Obama on but he's obviously not a gibbering religious lunatic in any direction, so what does it matter whether he's a Christian?

No prayers in the government operated military command center of a country who's constitution has a first amendment that addresses separation of church and state? Again, who cares? Worry about whether Pentagon wants to buy F-22s or whether their decision to have provincial security in Afghanistan etc. but to spend time fretting about Pentagon not having prayer? Sheesh/

Old 07-17-2010, 01:09 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,842,677 times
Quote:
Hey Denny. I’ll be honest to say I don’t know everything. But honestly to say there is not one person who knows everything. Whether this is a technical recession or not I do know a lot of people lost work. Even if this is not defined as recession America is not out of trouble however they define recession.
My sister’s Husband got let go of work. It took him over a year to get back. I know a guy who has been struggling for years to try to get steady work. He is pretty good at math. I have a friend named Donna who has been a teacher’s aide. Many people have been let go. Despite they like her at the school whoever is hiring her is not letting her come back unless they can find something else for her to do.
Sir I know this one thing for sure before Obama took office He was anti-American refusing to salute to The USA flags. Should that not bring red flags to us? Obama is not about America. He is all about the World.
I never said I hated Islam. It is in fact in school I had a best friend name Hamed jan from Afghanistan. Sometimes when I take the taxis some of them are Islamic and I talk to them. Then what is the issue?
Did you know they are planning on building a mosque right by where the trade towers were attacked? Islamic says because we want to prove we are peaceful. This may be true. Only that this would trigger off bad memories for those who remember the 2001 attack. They could have built a mosque anywhere by so near the place that was attacked on 2001. I don’t know if this project is going to go through or not it is being talked about.
I know there is a difference between True Islamic and of Terrorist. But there are some who say they may be truly Islamic but more in plans of attacking this country. Many of the avengers have said they America helped Israel for our Blood they have shed and America we will get their blood don’t think the terrorists have forgotten. They want us to be surprised. But whether one likes W Bush or not he had more of a defense. Our defense is being put down making being attacked just that more possible. They caught the one at times square. Those who still want vengeance on America true Islamic would not but Obama favors Islam over other beliefs. And if you have lived in the county of Iran under the laws of he Koran let’s see how you can deal with this? America would become another Iran Koran directed nation. Would you really want to lose your first amendments under the law of Koran?.
Obama is not about America. He is not with us. He has his own agendas that he feels he needs to do whether America likes it or not.
Just on a side note - that size and font is REALLY hard to read.....

You may want to think about getting your typist to change both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment