Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 06:31 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,914,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
You're lucky you still have your license. In some states like NY you get a conditional license for 3 yrs.

You're only allowed to drive back and forth to work, doctor's appts, and three hours on Sunday.

And that is with one DUI.
Yes, and I think NJ is even stricter. My mother tells me that some of her friends are driving their middle aged children to work. Drunk driving remains the worst behavioral hazard on the road, though texting is coming up fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 07:58 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,196,736 times
Minnesota announced the state Highway Patrol issued 52 tickets for DUI just on the 4th of July weekend.

They gave plenty of advance notice that they would have extra patrols and cracking down on last weekend.

Still,many ignored the warnings.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:02 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,932,502 times
^^MN is tough, they pull people over at random and test. Especially on holidays, thats why I get hotels or pass out at the party residence when I go there.

Old 07-07-2010, 02:29 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,635,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Minnesota announced the state Highway Patrol issued 52 tickets for DUI just on the 4th of July weekend.

They gave plenty of advance notice that they would have extra patrols and cracking down on last weekend.

Still,many ignored the warnings.
Fourth of July deadliest holiday for drunken driving - MSN Money

I refuse to drive on the 4th unless it's an emergency, especially considering I live on the coast where a LOT of people come to vacation and watch the fireworks.

Old 07-07-2010, 02:55 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,164,099 times
It is unclear as to whether you were actually convicted or not. I used to work with the court system and - whether right, wrong, or whatever - a lot of people who are arrested for DUI that did not involve an accident and who otherwise have clean records and appear to be responsible (regular employment history or school attendance) are given the benefit of a doubt and allowed to pay fines, perform community service, attend alcohol counseling, and in return receive probation before judgment (PBJ). In this case, there is no conviction on their record. After a period of time the arrest record can be expunged as long as the terms of probation are not violated and the individual keeps him or herself out of trouble. So if you only have a record of the arrest and not an actual conviction, then I would say you will probably be okay (as long as you aren't applying for a job that involves driving). Were you actually found guilty, or were you given PBJ?

Old 07-07-2010, 03:30 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,719,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Fourth of July deadliest holiday for drunken driving - MSN Money

I refuse to drive on the 4th unless it's an emergency, especially considering I live on the coast where a LOT of people come to vacation and watch the fireworks.
I live in upstate NY, and I grew up in a rural area where alot of people from Buffalo go to park for weekends, and drive back far too drunk. The funny thing is that people always think it's us "country bumpkins" or rednecks who drive drunk, but it's usually people from the city. I will say those narrow 2 lane 65 MPH roads are very scary when someone can't stay in the lines.

As to the issue for the OP, I wouldn't hire someone who just got a DUI, it shows a serious lack of judgment, and a total disregard for those around you. Maybe after 5 years if they managed to stay out of trouble, but it would certainly be disturbing.

I know I had a former manager at the bank, very good job, she made in excess of $100,000 each year, got a DUI, spent the night in jail, and was fired that day. I like her, but thought it served her right - losing her job is a very small price to pay for a crime that kills too many innocents.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:59 AM

37 posts, read 118,775 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
It is unclear as to whether you were actually convicted or not. I used to work with the court system and - whether right, wrong, or whatever - a lot of people who are arrested for DUI that did not involve an accident and who otherwise have clean records and appear to be responsible (regular employment history or school attendance) are given the benefit of a doubt and allowed to pay fines, perform community service, attend alcohol counseling, and in return receive probation before judgment (PBJ). In this case, there is no conviction on their record. After a period of time the arrest record can be expunged as long as the terms of probation are not violated and the individual keeps him or herself out of trouble. So if you only have a record of the arrest and not an actual conviction, then I would say you will probably be okay (as long as you aren't applying for a job that involves driving). Were you actually found guilty, or were you given PBJ?
It just happened a week ago. They said they will send me everything in the mail. I haven't received any ticket, they took me in for blood test and finger printed me and took pictures then they let me go.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:03 AM

37 posts, read 118,775 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound47 View Post
I live in upstate NY, and I grew up in a rural area where alot of people from Buffalo go to park for weekends, and drive back far too drunk. The funny thing is that people always think it's us "country bumpkins" or rednecks who drive drunk, but it's usually people from the city. I will say those narrow 2 lane 65 MPH roads are very scary when someone can't stay in the lines.

As to the issue for the OP, I wouldn't hire someone who just got a DUI, it shows a serious lack of judgment, and a total disregard for those around you. Maybe after 5 years if they managed to stay out of trouble, but it would certainly be disturbing.

I know I had a former manager at the bank, very good job, she made in excess of $100,000 each year, got a DUI, spent the night in jail, and was fired that day. I like her, but thought it served her right - losing her job is a very small price to pay for a crime that kills too many innocents.
For your information I wasn't drunk, I was a little bit over the limit. I was pulled over because some idiot try to pass me and I pulled over the road to let him pass me. Than I got back on the highway and got pulled over probably because I was suspicious for the cop me pulling over.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:26 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,164,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tssmith528 View Post
It just happened a week ago. They said they will send me everything in the mail. I haven't received any ticket, they took me in for blood test and finger printed me and took pictures then they let me go.
So at this point you do not have a conviction on your record. If any potential employer asks if you have ever been convicted of a crime you can honestly answer no. Once you go to court that could change depending on what happens.

It goes without saying that you should really contact an attorney so that you are aware of all of your rights.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:56 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,696,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
I knew someone with a DUI who couldn't drive at all. I don't know if it was his first or more, though.
that's how it should be if it's your second violation, or first violation if it causes injury/death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment