Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2010, 06:22 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,018,788 times

Advertisements

I have been languishing in my present position for some time and know it is time to move on or change. I have attempted to get a promotion but am limited as I am not interested in supervisory management, and there are not many positions above mine that are non supervisory in the organization.

With 9 years in at this organization, just over 4 in my present position, I feel it is time to get some new training or education and begin looking outside the organization for a new position and challenge. I do not want to become stagnant, and I am afraid if I remain in my present position too much longer that is exactly what will happen.

I am just having trouble identifying what is really a good thing to gain some training in which would provide good job options and be a step up in my career. I presently have a BA in History which is ten years old, would consider going for a masters if I could identify one that would really help me.

I am sure I could obtain an MBA, but I am not seeing how that really is helpful. So many people have an MBA that it really doesn't provide skills that are in demand.

So I am just fishing for some ideas. One friend of mine suggested getting training in GIS, which is a field he is in. Unfortunately, there is no adequate GIS training near me. Also, I know healthcare is a big growth field that is not going to go away, but I am not going to ever be a doctor (I just do not show the skill needed in biology for it) and the technicians in the field are in demand, but are not as strong in wages as I would prefer.

I am not sure what else. Any other ideas? What kind of training is in a real short supply, or in a really high demand?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 05:11 PM

36 posts, read 106,241 times
It really depends on what interests you. From what you're saying here, I'm not getting a lot of that.

With a recession, one has to think about what need doesn't go away even when money gets short:

- social work
- healthcare
- education

for starters. Any of those would be challenges (albeit for less pay than you're probably making right now), but if that's not an issue they can all be fulfilling careers. I have a relative that just graduated with a degree in finance and is doing well...so an MBA may also help you.

(I'm probably being biased - I'm in the non-profit world and can't see much else. :P)

Old 07-27-2010, 01:50 PM

18,728 posts, read 33,402,036 times
Social service and education have had tremendous cutbacks in many places.
Could GIS be an online course of study?

Old 07-27-2010, 01:57 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,482,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rewindthis View Post
It really depends on what interests you. From what you're saying here, I'm not getting a lot of that.

With a recession, one has to think about what need doesn't go away even when money gets short:

- social work
- healthcare
- education

for starters. Any of those would be challenges (albeit for less pay than you're probably making right now), but if that's not an issue they can all be fulfilling careers. I have a relative that just graduated with a degree in finance and is doing well...so an MBA may also help you.

(I'm probably being biased - I'm in the non-profit world and can't see much else. :P)
While you're right that the need always exists for those three things listed above, the problem is that the jobs aren't always funded. With all the cutbacks in state and local governments, schools/agencies/etc. simply make due with fewer social workers/teachers/etc. From what I understand, hospitals are shedding jobs, too.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:19 PM

36 posts, read 106,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Social service and education have had tremendous cutbacks in many places.
Yes, I'm simply talking about need. Education will always be needed and so will social workers to attain live goals for their caseload. I'm working at a non-profit and know that there are freezes. But those three are still great to have a background in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb919 View Post
While you're right that the need always exists for those three things listed above, the problem is that the jobs aren't always funded. With all the cutbacks in state and local governments, schools/agencies/etc. simply make due with fewer social workers/teachers/etc. From what I understand, hospitals are shedding jobs, too.
Non-profits are not the places to go if you want to make a ton of money, generally, and I realize that. Since he wasn't talking about pay, I suggested those.

Hospitals have never really been a place to have a career unless you're a doctor or an RN. I know someone who is an aide and the turnover is ridiculous. Even RNs can't get jobs now. However, I still stand by the fact that those professions will always be needed even with all the tomfoolery going on within them.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:54 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,719,852 times
I wouldn't base your decision on what is in demand during a recession, as someone suggested. I think that an MBA is a good idea if you want to move up. Yes, you would be qualified for line management, but also business analysis, which is what I think you might be interested in.

If I were you, I would start looking at schools to get an MBA. I have personally looked into many schools, and picked out the few I will apply at in about 4 years. Which state are you in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment