Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 12:07 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,614,054 times

Advertisements

While more than 14.5 million Americans are out of work, tattoos are becoming less of an obstacle to finding employment, according to a Challenger Gray Christmas report released earlier this week.

From Otzi the Iceman to Angelina Jolie, humans have tattooed themselves for centuries as a form of healing, self-expression, remembrance and even advertising . They’ve also been affiliated with criminals and gang affiliation, making it difficult for those with stamped skin to find jobs in the past.

Body art seen as less of a workplace barrier - Business - Careers - msnbc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 06:31 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,916,818 times
It depends heavily on the type of tattoo. Few would object to a woman with a small butterfly on her right arm. But gang related, obscene or violent tattoos are another story. So is someone who is tattooed almost from head to toe. With young people today it seems you stand out if you don't have one.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:31 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,697,329 times
I think it'll be a long time before people with head-to-toe tats can easily get employed, but at least we're headed in the right direction.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:54 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,724,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I think it'll be a long time before people with head-to-toe tats can easily get employed, but at least we're headed in the right direction.
And what fun it will be 20-30 years from now sitting in an office full of middle-aged out-of-shape "tatters" (or whatever you call them) whose previously resplendent colorations have faded and stretched beyond recognition. Oh and if they have those big old earlobe piercings too, I can just see those things hanging down and touching their shoulder blades like Dumbo flappers.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:26 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,638,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Usually, people with head to toe tattoos have careers and jobs.... they aren't out trying to get a job at an office or anything. The guy who owns the tattoo shop I used to go to was pretty much tattooed from ears to feet and he made a pretty good living being a small business owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
And what fun it will be 20-30 years from now sitting in an office full of middle-aged out-of-shape "tatters" (or whatever you call them) whose previously resplendent colorations have faded and stretched beyond recognition. Oh and if they have those big old earlobe piercings too, I can just see those things hanging down and touching their shoulder blades like Dumbo flappers.
I'd think that would be the individuals fault... with higher quality inks and better artists being used, the tattoos will hold up a lot better than in generations past. Along with those 'tatters' (or 'tattooed people' as we prefer) there will also be a whole lot of leathery faced men and women who spent a little too much time in the sun or tanning bed.

I know which one I prefer

And earlobes are easily fixed. Mine were stretched to nearly 3/4 of an inch at one point and they shrunk up nicely without any problems.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:39 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,724,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
And earlobes are easily fixed. Mine were stretched to nearly 3/4 of an inch at one point and they shrunk up nicely without any problems.
But you're still probably young - didn't you know that, far from "shrinking", earlobes get longer the older one gets?

Each to his own but since the topic was employment I'd hate to see a day come when not hiring someone because they were chockablock with tattoos would lead to a discrimination suit. People can do what they want with their bodies but, as an employer, I reserve the right to not hire someone who's a walking mural if I feel that image doesn't fit in with my business. One of my current employees was talking about getting a ring in her nose and I was perfectly honest in telling her that if she came in with a ring through her nose like a bull in the pasture, she wouldn't be able to work until she removed it...

Old 07-28-2010, 09:49 AM

1,378 posts, read 4,364,090 times
i once worked at a grocery store. There was a girl who was a front end manager (a ful time position with benefits) that aksed the store manger if she could get a nose ring and wear it at work. He said that would be fine wiht him. Then a few days later the DM came in and wasn't happy and told her not to wear it at work again.

She got mad and turned in her notice. She said it wasn't fair because the store manager was her boss and he said it was OK. I guess she didn't know the DM (who had once been the store manager and still kept an eye on things) was also her boss.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:00 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,935,082 times
I still think its a risky idea to get one in an exposed area in many workplaces.

Old 07-28-2010, 05:59 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,638,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
But you're still probably young - didn't you know that, far from "shrinking", earlobes get longer the older one gets?

Each to his own but since the topic was employment I'd hate to see a day come when not hiring someone because they were chockablock with tattoos would lead to a discrimination suit. People can do what they want with their bodies but, as an employer, I reserve the right to not hire someone who's a walking mural if I feel that image doesn't fit in with my business. One of my current employees was talking about getting a ring in her nose and I was perfectly honest in telling her that if she came in with a ring through her nose like a bull in the pasture, she wouldn't be able to work until she removed it...
Of course, but it's a very easy outpatient procedure to get them surgically fixed. I've known people in the past who have gotten it done. Personally, I find a stretched lobe better than 'cheesecutter' lobes that people get when they wear normal earrings. Yick.

I actually had my septum pierced at one time (as did my sister) and you can actually flip it up into your nose and hide it. I had mine for almost 3 years and worked in a fairly conservative office for 8 months of those 3 years and not one person knew I had it pierced And yes, they would have fired me immediately if they found out.

Old 01-14-2011, 12:10 AM

6 posts, read 21,581 times
It’s really interesting that I have been observing different blogs for a while now, you have employers stating, that tattoos might not be the look they want to represent for there company, however people with tattoos can gladly make a purchase to support your company. If your going to be bias based on appearance, then it should be a sign on your door that states , if you don’t look a certain way , your business is not wanted because that’s not what my company represents. If you’re going to use the excuse of perception then go all the way and use it in its entirety. The government makes laws at a convenience to them... We are far away from ignorance; it’s just ironic some people with body art are more of an asset to a company than someone with none. But keep perceiving I’m sure your company is one that’s not doing so well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment