Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 12:44 PM

4 posts, read 3,161 times

Advertisements

I am paid too much at work and so are my coworkers!

OK, I am being honest. Sometimes I am shocked what they pay me and my coworkers. I really do not work that hard and really do not have that many skills and education. I just kind of wing it at work.

One thing that has shocked me ever since I got out of college is how incompetent and lazy most of the people I work with are. Most of the people I have worked with are just doing the minimum. They cruise through the day and do lots of clock watching. Most are not really keeping their skills current or keeping up with the times.

I am sure you are different but I wonder what you think of your coworkers. Do they deserve the money they are making?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 12:57 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,779,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Political Mind View Post
I am paid too much at work and so are my coworkers!

OK, I am being honest. Sometimes I am shocked what they pay me and my coworkers. I really do not work that hard and really do not have that many skills and education. I just kind of wing it at work.

One thing that has shocked me ever since I got out of college is how incompetent and lazy most of the people I work with are. Most of the people I have worked with are just doing the minimum. They cruise through the day and do lots of clock watching. Most are not really keeping their skills current or keeping up with the times.

I am sure you are different but I wonder what you think of your coworkers. Do they deserve the money they are making?

Anonymously for the forum:

What line of work are you in? What is your job title.
What did you earn your degree in?
Private or public sector? What industry or field?

Back in the 1980s, I had an older colleague tell me "They're paying you for 8, you should at least work 6."

Also, your pay might not be 100% tied to your measureable (EVMS) productivity. You might make more because you can be trusted, you are reliable, you company works "Cost Plus", you are unlikely to produce legal problems, or you benefit the company in the government's eyes as a statistic (you may help the company meet its diversity goals).

Old 07-29-2010, 01:02 PM

I work for a mid sized technology company as an Office Manager in Pittsburgh PA. I got a Political Science Degree and started my full time work as an Administrative Assistant. Private Sector. Software Development Company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Anonymously for the forum:

What line of work are you in? What is your job title.
What did you earn your degree in?
Private or public sector? What industry or field?

Back in the 1980s, I had an older colleague tell me "They're paying you for 8, you should at least work 6."

Old 07-29-2010, 01:04 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,779,981 times
Another thing, they may pay you more because it reduces the probability of you leaving which would force them to expensively retrain someone else.

Old 07-29-2010, 01:11 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,312,966 times
No, Weekend Traveller. They are definitely OVER-paid.

Old 07-29-2010, 01:25 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,719,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Another thing, they may pay you more because it reduces the probability of you leaving which would force them to expensively retrain someone else.
Speaking of this, when I was 14, I worked at the Wendy's at my small town. When I tried to quit, they offered me an extra $2 per hour or something like that. I was earning minimum wage, and at the time it was around $4 per hour. So it was a massive increase if I took it.

Apparently I was a pretty hard worker and they kept just getting ex-cons or drug addicts.

I hated that job, but in hindsight taught me the value of a hard day's work and a dollar earned the hard way - Easily the job that taught me the most about what a hard worker and got work ethic is.

Old 07-29-2010, 01:27 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,678,492 times
There is no such thing as being over paid. We all should strive to get as much as we can out of an employer, non profits being the only possible exception. To think otherwise makes me think you are probably a weak employee.

Old 07-29-2010, 01:31 PM

I am talking specially about your coworkers. No yourself.

I know all of you likely feel you are underpaid but most people I know think poorly of their coworkers and feel they are vastly overpaid and are incompetent. How about you, do you think your coworkers are overpaid and lazy?

Old 07-29-2010, 01:49 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,700,852 times
My co workers deserve every penny they make and more!

Old 07-29-2010, 02:25 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,843,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcb1025 View Post
No, Weekend Traveller. They are definitely OVER-paid.

wow - THAT was fast - "not a member" already LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment