Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 03:52 PM

9 posts, read 41,631 times

Advertisements

I'm about 4 years into my career and I've held various Finance roles in the tech industry. During those 4 years I've already worked for 4 different companies (including where I'm currently working) but one of them was just a short-term contract position. The longest I've stayed with a company is 2 years. I went into these companies/positions thinking that I would stay long-term, but you never know how it's really going to be until you actually spend a few months there.

I've been in my current job for about 8 months now, but I'm just not too happy with the work/life balance or the culture here. I feel that I need to stay here for a few years though to have some stability in my resume, but I'm tempted to look at other opportunites since the job market seems to be picking up again. Would this be a bad move, and will I be forever labeled a job hopper? Or do employers even care anymore?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 03:59 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,300,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEA_Guy View Post
I'm about 4 years into my career and I've held various Finance roles in the tech industry. During those 4 years I've already worked for 4 different companies (including where I'm currently working) but one of them was just a short-term contract position. The longest I've stayed with a company is 2 years. I went into these companies/positions thinking that I would stay long-term, but you never know how it's really going to be until you actually spend a few months there.

I've been in my current job for about 8 months now, but I'm just not too happy with the work/life balance or the culture here. I feel that I need to stay here for a few years though to have some stability in my resume, but I'm tempted to look at other opportunites since the job market seems to be picking up again. Would this be a bad move, and will I be forever labeled a job hopper? Or do employers even care anymore?
Yes, they do.

We recently went through the hiring process at my job and whenever I would review a resume one of the things I looked at was how many positions a candidate had held in the last decade. That was not an automatic eliminator; a lot of I.T. work is contract work and due to the poor economy a lot of people have had to take what they could get and go from job to job because a lot of companies simply weren't doing CTH, just straight contracts only. But if I saw a history of job-hopping prior to 2007 that continued through 2007-2010, that was sometimes enough for me to toss the resume in the trash and keep looking. 2007-2010 job-hopping was not an automatic eliminator.

Old 08-10-2010, 05:44 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,658,708 times
I say just keep applying until you find an employer who is OK with your work history. You have nothing to lose if you keep applying for jobs anyway. If you're not happy there, you shouldn't stay there just so you can build a stable resume. I've been at my current job for over 3 years now and I think it's time for a change myself.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:02 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,294,659 times
I hired for two positions in the past 6 months. With the understanding that IT is fairly short stinted (especially for those that worked in the late 90's), we did pass up a few that were very qualified - but had very short tenures in their jobs.

We still talked to a couple of them. But in the end, we didn't feel it was worth the risk of having them walk out on us in 12 months.

So, yes, it does matter.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:11 PM

5,077 posts, read 14,647,600 times
My boss and I just had this conversation, we have a bit of a unique working relationship in that even though she's my "boss" per se. I work out of state and I have senior people I work under at my location so we are also very friendly and have conversations on the phone that are a bit out of the norm, I would consider her a friend and manager but anyway... we were talking about the old days when you never heard of a person leaving the company unless they had been there 10, 15 or even 20 year nowadays though, it's nothing to have a job 2-4 years and you leave for something else or turnover happens and you lose your job. It's just the way it is these days. I've been at my job a little over three years and in March my job is closing it's doors so I'll be out of work. The last few jobs I've had have varied between 3 - 4 years.

Old 08-10-2010, 02:07 PM

9 posts, read 41,631 times
Thanks for sharing your thoughts guys. I thought I might add that all of my moves have been for higher level positions instead of lateral moves so hopefully when employers see that they see a clear career progression. Also, I started my career just before the recession hit so I hope employers will be a bit more understanding.

I accepted the offer at my current job since I was in a contract job at another company prior to this, and I was desparate to have a stable job with benefits. My company is known for overworking their employees, and things just got worse since the job market tanked. Since the job market is starting to pick up again, I think I'll keep my eyes open but I won't jump ship until something really compelling comes up.

Old 08-14-2010, 12:46 PM

28 posts, read 129,349 times
Quote:

You may be considered a job hopper already. I think some of the recruiter's hiring parameters include how many jobs the applicant has had over a certain period of time. I'm sure that is one of the many reasons I can't get interviews.

You might consider continuing your search for better people to work with, but don't switch companies unless you're as sure as you can be about the new group/culture. Or maybe not...

Old 08-14-2010, 05:13 PM

61 posts, read 186,467 times
Quote:

Employers don't seem to make a big deal out of it anymore. I say follow that gut feeling. Life is too short for you to be unhappy at a job. Put the past behind you, keep the faith (stay positive), and make sure it's your calling. Be happpy!

Old 08-14-2010, 05:18 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,037,300 times
I would think anything that is a year or less

Old 08-14-2010, 06:58 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,772,397 times
Dont leave your job before you find other work.

But if you do find another job that you think would be a good fit long term, and they offer a position, why not move?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment