Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 07:25 PM

1,128 posts, read 1,649,907 times

Advertisements

Many of us have had more than one job...and some have been great, others ok...while yet others have downright sucked!
I know I have certainly had my share.. I am a Behavioral Health Tech, and with that you can pretty much work in group homes, psych wards, or halfway houses.
Well, I gor one job at a large group home for kids and teens here in Phoenix. I won't mention the name b/c I do believe they have the kids best interests at heart but their administrations dealing with employees was the worst.
It was already a stressful job b/c I had was working with teen girls with large chips on their shoulders. I understand they were going through a lot...abuse, CPS involvement, drugs, etc...but iit didn;t matter to them if a person was actually there to help them, they would do everything they could to start problems.
Again, i am a very caring annd understanding person but the worst part was the admin would treat us workers so bad! Like we had to make sure the house was clean in the morning b/f we left. The girls had chores. Well, the girls bit**ed and complained and some wouldn't do them , so I would do it. I made sure I left it looking great. But then the supervisors would come do a "quality assurance" check and I am not kidding, it there was one strand of hair found on the floor (and it was all white tile-with 9 girls with long hair living there) I would be called to the office for a reprimand!
So it was just stupid things like that...they actually would summon you to the office like a kid gong to the principals office...on your time off, and that was after working there all night long!
Plus I had a really bad co-worker who would let the girls do whatever they wanted and when I would come in and I would have to be the bad guy.
The point is though the place just focused on so many petty things instead of being happy to have someone that could control the girls, not have any awols on their shift ...and cover other peoples shifts (that up and quit) I just got sick and tired of it. It was good pay but not worth the stress!
Anyone else have a tale to tell?

Last edited by phoenixscorpiogirl; 03-28-2010 at 07:36 PM.. Reason: awols on their shift....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2010, 07:31 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,373,980 times
When I graduated from college (BS - History/Education), I couldn't find an open History teaching position so I accepted a position as the In-School Suspension Supervisor. It was grades 6-8, but many of the students had already been in jail or had some major issues in their lives which caused them to get in trouble. Some of the students would be cussing out the principal when he brought the students to me. I had no chance. It sucked! Luckily, around Christmas time I was offered a History teaching position at another district and I couldn't leave fast enough.

I was also a telemarketer for four years when I was in high school and early college. It sucked, but you get used to people cussing you out after a while, and it was much better than flipping burgers.

Old 03-28-2010, 10:34 PM

Working with teenagers is very challenging to say the least!

Old 03-28-2010, 10:38 PM

25,146 posts, read 54,055,023 times
Don't work with teenagers then. It's that simple.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Don't work with teenagers then. It's that simple.
I was answering someone else that's worked with kids too.
I didn't say I had a problem with them- just that it is challenging - get it Artguy?
It's also rewarding when you can actually get through to them and help them.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:30 PM

I think these professionals have control issues to the point where they get into jobs expecting to change girls who have been abuse and are on drugs? Sounds double-binding and ineffective. I'm sorry but why would anyone do this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixscorpiogirl View Post
I was answering someone else that's worked with kids too.
I didn't say I had a problem with them- just that it is challenging - get it Artguy?
It's also rewarding when you can actually get through to them and help them.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:54 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,450,436 times
After graduating from college during a recession, I worked three jobs, one as a stockperson in a drug store, another as a security guard in a dept store, and the third at UPS, unloading trucks from 11P-1am outside Milwaukee at subzero temperatures. Insanely exhausting and mundane that UPS job, but it didn't come close to working as a software engineer for a couple of backwards, redneck-dominated companies in Sunnyvale, CA.

Never thought I'd work in a place where I'd be exposed to bigoted super-geeks with PhDs from Stanford or Abraham Lincoln-looking, bigoted Japanese PhDs, or blue-glass, banjo-playing, stuttering, spineless, two-faced good 'ol boys, or Terry Bradshaw lookalikes who were not only bigoted hicks but severe micro-managers. I have never seen such a bunch of rednecks, all highly qualified on paper and so smug in their positions. No details, but these places were the worst! The East coast is far better in this regard. No wonder silicon valley, even today, is not the land of opportunity for certain minority groups.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:58 PM

To be honest higher education in a lot of situations is about the good ole' boys network. They protect incompetence and promote the ruthless weasels to supervisor positions. But I believe you. Your story sounds very true to me. Discrimination is real. And the higher educated you are. The more clever you are at doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post

Never thought I'd work in a place where I'd be exposed to bigoted super-geeks with PhDs from Stanford or Abraham Lincoln-looking, bigoted Japanese PhDs, or blue-glass, banjo-playing, stuttering, spineless, two-faced good 'ol boys, or Terry Bradshaw lookalikes who were not only bigoted hicks but severe micro-managers. I have never seen such a bunch of rednecks, all highly qualified on paper and so smug in their positions. No details, but these places were the worst! The East coast is far better in this regard. No wonder silicon valley, even today, is not the land of opportunity for certain minority groups.

Last edited by artsyguy; 03-29-2010 at 12:09 AM..

Old 03-28-2010, 11:59 PM

61,255 posts, read 87,664,863 times
easy question. the one where i learned the most in the shortest period of time.
of course i did not realize that til years later.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:07 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,076,131 times
I once worked in a small company out of college where one of the owners took a dislike to me. He literally harassed me and actually once yelled at me to fix my F'ing hearing when I did not understand something he said (he has a heavy accent). I was grateful when I received another job offer and left that place on the best of terms that I could.

I also worked as a telemarketer which I quit after the first day due to unbearable working conditions. They mailed me my small 33 dollar check and it literally bounced!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment