Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 01:33 PM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,607 posts, read 1,086,651 times

Advertisements

Or are taxi drivers eventually going to be replaced?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2018, 02:29 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
Probably, at least here in Seattle where we now see more Uber/Lyft cars than cabs already downtown. The biggest hit is at the airport where the cabbies say they are not even making minimum wage now with so few runs. Despite the record number of passengers people seem to prefer Uber/Lyft.

Old 03-29-2018, 03:12 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,388,746 times
I think old people still prefer taxis.

My grandma isn't going to get on an uber app...

Old 03-29-2018, 03:17 PM

130,460 posts, read 12,124,678 times
Where I live, we do not have uber, so we still use taxi. Uber is mostly in cities, small towns do not seem to have them.

Old 03-29-2018, 10:55 PM

13,131 posts, read 21,016,446 times
It's probably location and economic driven. In my neck of the woods, Uber drivers are a revolving entity. Seldom will someone do it for long once they recognize their net income is peanuts. However, as they leave for other opportunities, others are stepping in. I belive the number of Uber drivers is in excess and that's what is keeping income low. Taxi drivers on the other hand probably would also be limited in income if not for their ability to pickup and drop off at certain government facilities. Uber drivers can't because they do not have to submit to a full fingerprint background check and carry a verifiable license. Additionally, taxis are clearly identifiable and they can be tracked long range via surveillance systems. Uber vehicles can get loss in the crowd.

As the local taxi company embraces technology allowing service request to be handled remotely, Uber's draw diminishes. Although the taxi fare may be higher overall, it's regulated and set so there are no fluctuations. But I think the draw to taxis is they are just viewed as safer instead of paid hitchhiking.

Old 03-31-2018, 05:32 AM

7,190 posts, read 9,329,700 times
I learned to use Uber when I fly into SFO to visit my daughter.

With the "old school" taxi line, you get the next guy in line who is usually a recent immigrant who can barely speak english, who is driving a 5 year old rattletrap SUV and drives like a maniac. I don't feel safe. I question his driving skills and I had to navigate for him. The trip costs about $30 including tip.

With Uber, I generally get an educated driver with a 1-2 year old Toyota Camry or Prius. He has Google Maps up on the display, knows how to navigate, drives well, and speaks good English. The cost including tip is about $18.

Which would You choose?

Old 03-31-2018, 06:23 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,234,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post

With the "old school" taxi line, you get the next guy in line who is usually a recent immigrant who can barely speak english, who is driving a 5 year old rattletrap SUV and drives like a maniac. I don't feel safe. I question his driving skills and I had to navigate for him. The trip costs about $30 including tip.

With Uber, I generally get an educated driver with a 1-2 year old Toyota Camry or Prius. He has Google Maps up on the display, knows how to navigate, drives well, and speaks good English. The cost including tip is about $18.

Which would You choose?
Ditto. Given my experiences with taxis and ubers, I'd take the Uber any day of the week and twice on Sunday even if the taxi was a bit cheaper, which it isn't. Uber drivers, in my experience, are more up to speed on modern technology and have a better attitude (when they get burned out they just stop doing it as few have made it into a "career").

The best part of Uber is the app, which lets me easily look up a route, see how much it will cost, and how long I'll have to wait. Simply press the button, the ride is ordered, lets me know the driver and the car that is coming, shows me exactly where it is and when it will arrive, allows me to directly contact driver to explain special details (gate code, which entrance, what color shirt I'm wearing, etc.), and if necessary to cancel ride.

I haven't used a taxi in USA for a few years though. Maybe they have similar apps now? I'd be surprised as their response to uber/lyft competition usually seems to be scare tactics and greasing local politicians to get uber banned or restricted rather than improving their own level of service to make themselves more attractive.

Old 03-31-2018, 06:29 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,583,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post

Which would You choose?
There is no comparison. Uber wins 10x/10.

Cost, convenience, security, ease of use.

Old 03-31-2018, 07:02 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,578,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
There is no comparison. Uber wins 10x/10.

Cost, convenience, security, ease of use.
security ?

taxi's are usually old police crown vics so that the driver is partitioned (bullet-proof glass) from the back seat.

i once took a car (before uber was a thing) from the bus station to about 10 blocks home. the driver told me $25 bucks (taxi wouldve been about $8). it was past midnite; i was in no position to argue or he wouldve dropped me off the docks -- literally (no dispatch log).

never again...

Old 03-31-2018, 07:05 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,583,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
security ?

taxi's are usually old police crown vics so that the driver is partitioned (bullet-proof glass) from the back seat.

i once took a car (before uber was a thing) from the bus station to about 10 blocks home. the driver told me $25 bucks (taxi wouldve been about $8). it was past midnite; i was in no position to argue.

never again...

Uber has your name and the driver's name and registration along with the time and route you take. Taxis don't. Who the hell knows who is driving your cab ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment