Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 05:43 PM

438 posts, read 946,921 times

Advertisements

I agree with the advice you've been given here. Keep your options open and flexible...even if it isn't your dream job, working is better than having giant gaps of unemployment history.
Also, networking is such a good tool to finding a job. Actually, a friend of mine majored in finance and accounting and couldn't find a job for almost a year after graduation. Although she had worked as an intern (for Citigroup in NY right before it went bust), she had no luck at all applying for jobs. She was getting desperate and was emailing everybody she'd had any professional or academic contact with. One of our profesors had started working as department head at another college, and told her he could use an assistant. Got her a scholarship to come work for him and earn a Master's at the same time. Point is...don't be shy about initiating contact with people who might be able to help you. Can never tell what might come of it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 07:50 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,420,434 times
Go to med school, pharmacy school, etc.

You'll always have options with a high GPA. If your GPA had been below 3.5, then yes, you would have wasted your college degree.

Another option is to look for internships and entry-level positions from your professors. A lot of professors run consulting businesses on the side and usually recruit from the school they teach.

Old 07-02-2012, 04:40 PM

1 posts, read 4,126 times
Default Same exerience with u

Hello Sluser,
I was googling "no internship after graduation" and I have came across your website. I just want to let you know that I am surprised to say that I am going through the same thing as you. I also graduated with a Business degree and major focus was in Fiance and I worked at the dean's office as an admin assistant for 2 years. Freaky right? Lol. Anyways, I also didn't take on any internship while in college. I am also having a tough time looking for jobs after graduation, it has actually been a year for me know too and I am still unemployed. Beside my family and friends giving me lecture on what happened to me and why I cannot find a job I am also feeling very bummed out. I also went to a lot of interview with those "sales commission only" jobs, which I think is all crap. I really need some advice on what and where I should looking. It seems like all the jobs that we want after college require experiences, which I believe we just don't have. I just want to share my experience too and see how you are doing so far. You are not alone. I am going through the same thing! Please email me at giatran917@yahoo.com or post here to let me know ur most updated news.

Thanks,

Nancy

Old 07-02-2012, 05:22 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,843,907 times
I didn't have a 3.5+ GPA or an internship and I'm doing just fine.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:44 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
If you aren't already, volunteer. This will help network and you can use your skills to get you noticed.

Old 07-03-2012, 04:06 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,479,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Neither did I.. but I had a Masters and applied for nearly 1000 jobs and turned out fine.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:31 PM

1 posts, read 3,546 times
Yeah, you are basically screwed if you are looking to go into any financial related field. I ran a busy convenience store for 12 years, and I was also a western Union agent, which is basically the same thing as a bank teller. Not to mention I have a B.S. in Economics and a minor is business administration, yet 2000+ applications later and not a single interview. So yeah, I know exactly how you feel...

Old 04-23-2013, 02:18 PM

1,092 posts, read 3,436,186 times
Just because you've graduated, it doesn't mean you can't still apply for internships.

Old 04-23-2013, 05:55 PM

805 posts, read 1,161,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
But when did you graduate? The job market has changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment