Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 02:16 PM

239 posts, read 895,257 times

Advertisements

As I have moved up the corporate hirearcy in my career things get tougher and tougher. I remember when I was just out of college in my first job, things were kind of boring but easy at the same time. Basically my boss told me how to do the job a certain way and there was a right and wrong way to do the job. If I did it the right way and worked hard and put in my time I was rewarded.

As I moved up to ever more challenging positions there was no longer a right or wrong way to do the job. And what constitues success was unclear. I had to make a 100 judgement calls every day. That is when the critics started. I was told constantly:

I wouldn't do it that way if it were me.

I would use a different approach if I were you.

Your final product was not good enough.

Your approach lacks creativity.

You need to re think how you do that task.

(But when I challenged them for details none were forthcoming. How frustrating!)

So, how do you deal with workplace critics?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 03:03 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,312,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Outcast View Post
If I did it the right way and worked hard and put in my time I was rewarded.
Ah, the good ole days. When, if you worked hard, you would be rewarded. Now we're all stuck in a constant state of uncertainty. We work longer hours for less pay and are expected to like it, because you never know when you'll get the proverbial axe.

I have a lot of freedom in my job, for the most part. I don't get criticized too much, because I do a fantastic job! On the rare occassion that I do receive negative or dubious feedback, I usually just shrug it off. Most of the time, those criticizing know the least amount about my job. Now, if my supervisor who's been in the biz for almost 50 years gives me some tips and pointers about how to do my job better, you better believe he has my undivided attention. I got mad respect for that dude.

Old 09-20-2010, 03:09 PM

11,299 posts, read 18,892,517 times
Ah, the good ole days, when you were called Weekend Traveler......

Old 09-20-2010, 03:41 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,524,257 times
Criticism and verbal abuse are two different things. When you have a supervisor who is also Director of Operations yelling, cursing like a truckdriver, insulting you, increasing your workload out of spite (when the work can be easily given to someone else) a few times a week - that's abuse. You have no HR or other people who you can speak to about this abusive "creature" as it's a small company - you are doomed. You either get yourself fired and collect, or quit. The problem is that this "creature" is so nasty she has fought unemployment claims in the past, by lying and fabricating evidence - AND WINNING, that the only recourse is to quit on the spot. She made a pregnant woman quit as she was so evil to her. Some of you have it good and don't even realize it. I will take "criticism" any day over the torment I suffered for 8 months under this monster above.

Old 09-20-2010, 04:08 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
Thank you. I will take that under advisement.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:05 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,154,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
Criticism and verbal abuse are two different things. When you have a supervisor who is also Director of Operations yelling, cursing like a truckdriver, insulting you, increasing your workload out of spite (when the work can be easily given to someone else) a few times a week - that's abuse. You have no HR or other people who you can speak to about this abusive "creature" as it's a small company - you are doomed. You either get yourself fired and collect, or quit. The problem is that this "creature" is so nasty she has fought unemployment claims in the past, by lying and fabricating evidence - AND WINNING, that the only recourse is to quit on the spot. She made a pregnant woman quit as she was so evil to her. Some of you have it good and don't even realize it. I will take "criticism" any day over the torment I suffered for 8 months under this monster above.

Um.................... hello my twin

I could swear you are talking about the same person here I have to deal with everyday.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:24 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,524,257 times
CT, I began developing chronic back pain. I never had this experience in my life, and am way too young for that. I would get up every morning, and I was in pain. It was a few times a week, usually the next day after that monster blew a fuse. Or, if we had a "whipping" meeting scheduled for that day, I would get up in the morning, and be in physical pain. Then it increased to almost 6, 7 days a week, I would get up with pain and it would go on and off during the day. It only stopped when I was asleep. My co-workers were telling me to go see a chiropractor. I refused as I didn't want to become dependent and have the chiro make money from me! As soon as I resigned, the pain was permanently gone after a week of not working there. This was clearly psychosomatic. Some people start drinking or smoking when working for monsters.Others do drugs. Still others suffer from back pain. It's not worth it. Keep your health, your life, and get rid of the nasty boss.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:14 AM

331 posts, read 990,177 times
I'm on the low end of the corporate ladder, and my company criticizes a lot as well. Of course, I don't have the option of being told how to do my job, as I do software development. I'm told the problem, and have a small amount of leeway when it comes to how I decide to solve the problem. So no matter how the problem gets solved, there will always be one of my 6 bosses that will say "you could have done it this way instead," "your status update email is great, but the font color should be ___ so that it looks more uniform," "I understand ___ said this was a priority, but the xyz project should take precedence," and many others that can get a little frustrating from time to time. I've found comfort in just taking it in stride. I know that corporate jobs are not for me, and this one has made me more jaded than ever before about them, but I know I won't be here forever, which gives me a bit of light at the end of the tunnel.

From your post, it seems like in any corporate job, this is how it's going to be. Perhaps it's best if we just shoot ourselves now and get it over with?

I'd have to say, so far, corporate America has made me REALLY regret going to college in the first place.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:22 PM

543 posts, read 3,078,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcb1025 View Post
Ah, the good ole days. When, if you worked hard, you would be rewarded. Now we're all stuck in a constant state of uncertainty. We work longer hours for less pay and are expected to like it, because you never know when you'll get the proverbial axe.

I have a lot of freedom in my job, for the most part. I don't get criticized too much, because I do a fantastic job! On the rare occassion that I do receive negative or dubious feedback, I usually just shrug it off. Most of the time, those criticizing know the least amount about my job. Now, if my supervisor who's been in the biz for almost 50 years gives me some tips and pointers about how to do my job better, you better believe he has my undivided attention. I got mad respect for that dude.
What does that job involve?

Old 09-23-2010, 02:41 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,312,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansoku View Post
What does that job involve?
Being awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment