Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 06:32 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,644,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neekah18 View Post
CampingMom I think you did the right thing by going to an agency. Some are the quickest way to get a job and hey it's a weekly paycheck. My advice would be to definitely not discount the work for your husband's business and your volunteer work. Make sure you list every responsibility that you handle. If that agency wasn't to your liking go to another you have to register with way more than one to get anything and you have to keep looking on your own. I'm registered with so many agencies and I can tell you that sometimes I go weeks without them giving me a decent lead luckily I do my own consultant work otherwise I'd be dead in the water. Judging by the safety video I definitely know what agency you are talking about and I think you got a bad "counselor" not all are like that. She should be happy that you are willing to work for $10 ph because honestly I feel like they expect you to have a Masters and 10 years of experience just to offer you $12ph

Good Luck
I wasn't the one discounting it-the counselor was. She was like-oh well it's a family business and the skills are really relevant for office work-duh-that's what I am doing. I don't think I'll go back to any agencies after that taste of things. Personally I wasn't impressed-and a lot of it had to do with the person that represented them turned me right off. She talked down to me like I was lower than whale dung. I'll just stick to my job searching-I do it better than these agencies it appears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 07:21 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,522,239 times
In my opinion, which is based on years and years of experience, I feel that all temp agencies, recruiters, headhunters, and all "labor middlemen" are bottom feeders. These are the people who can't get "real jobs" for whatever reason. All one has to do is read the ad carefully and the language tells you whether it's a real employer or this "middleman". Words like "top tier Ivy League," "energetic," “rising stars,” “upward mobility,” “recent college grads,” or someone on the “fast track.” Anybody from a "top tier Ivy League" either has the networks established in school already, or via Daddy's or Mommy's networks and doesn't need these labor selling leeches!! Ivy League graduates can pave their own way. Not only do these "agents" have stupid ads everywhere for jobs that often do not exist, once you come in they do a bait and switch. They talk down to you like you are sc*m. They endlessly waste your time with loads of software tests, long applications and many useless forms for jobs they have no intention of sending you to. It costs to take the train to and back for one of these "imaginary" interviews, as any interview with anyone other than the actual employer is not a real interview. They're getting paid by the company client to collect resumes, look busy, and account for time spent "looking" for that "perfect" candidate. By the way, the "perfect" candidate doesn't need them. He/she already has a job. In this economy, an agency is the last place that will help you find a job. They are the biggest cherry-pickers.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:27 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,522,239 times
The only thing these bottom feeders do is aggravate you. They also cost money and time, neither which you can get back. Their arrogance and attitude is yet another problem. You have to sign up with at least what, 15 or 20 agencies to get some lousy $12 temp assignment that can end at anytime for any reason? Then they "blacklist" you if their client is an *ss? It costs a lot of money to visit 20 temp agencies and a lot of time. I bet they are having a field day, now that everyone and everyone's mother is breaking down their doors for jobs, thinking they can help. Unless YOU PAY THEM to find you work, they are useless. If you want to do temp work, you can locate employers on your own and offer your work on a temp basis.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:41 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingMom View Post
When I was in the one yesterday-there were 5 guys who all had green cards and they were getting work. No problems at all for them-one of them had to do translation for the others to understand. Yet I am given grief about what I did for work all these years and the part time jobs I did also? To tell me I've got less skills than those guys is bologna. To tell me my skills aren't relevant to a new job in a office is bull too. I bet most people don't really realize what it takes to drive a school bus-they all think it's a cake walk. I have to be a quick thinker, quick to problem solve, flexible, multi-task, and tons more when out on the road. It's why most people I think don't do it. Yet, they discount what skills are related to other areas. So I know exactly what you mean.
Do you get those comments you made on here about being a bus driver and what it entails across to the interviewer?

If you're being interviewed by some 25yr old dolt for example at a temp agency you really need to illustrate to them how being a bus driver involved multi-tasking, problem solving, etc.

Show them those skills are transferable and can be used in an office environment.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
I hear yah, I've registered with 3 temp agencies, I have skills and YEARS of experience as admin/tech writer/graphics/web design. Still type 55wpm and tested 98-100% on all Microsoft Office products (used to design and teach in house courses)...They have YET to even send me to an interview, I call them every month asking if there is something for me...ah nooo. Then, one of them who I spent hours interviewing and testing with said my tests were too old and I'd have to come in and do it again. Around here in NE GA any admin/secretary/clerk jobs are now requiring a batchelors. I have a college education at a CC.

Years ago, the agencies I worked with were great, now we are just fodder for their resume pile and most don't even remember who we are.

You need to call the temp agencies more than once a month if you want assignments, you need to call at least once a week. Especially towards the end of the week.

I am not crazy about temp agencies, but I called in a couple of times a week and I got assignments. I even got a 9 month assignment that paid quite well, but I kept my name out there.

Calling in once a month isn't going to get you anything. The old saying "the squeaky wheel gets the grease" couldn't be more true when dealing with a temp agency.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:27 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,644,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
You need to call the temp agencies more than once a month if you want assignments, you need to call at least once a week. Especially towards the end of the week.

I am not crazy about temp agencies, but I called in a couple of times a week and I got assignments. I even got a 9 month assignment that paid quite well, but I kept my name out there.

Calling in once a month isn't going to get you anything. The old saying "the squeaky wheel gets the grease" couldn't be more true when dealing with a temp agency.
Well I found out today this IS NOT the agency I want to work with. They sent me a link to do the typing, Microsoft office assessment tests. When I clicked on it-told me that the passcode they sent me was invalid. So I call them up. She went nuts on me. Telling me I'd tried it too many times. Told her no-first time I tried logging in I got that. She told me well, I'll just have to wait til she gets time in her day to sent out another password and I'd better not mess that up. Wow. I think I'll just go about getting a job myself and leave those fools behind. And they think I've got no skills-at least I know how to conduct MYSELF when dealing with Joe Q Public.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Well I found out today this IS NOT the agency I want to work with. They sent me a link to do the typing, Microsoft office assessment tests. When I clicked on it-told me that the passcode they sent me was invalid. So I call them up. She went nuts on me. Telling me I'd tried it too many times. Told her no-first time I tried logging in I got that. She told me well, I'll just have to wait til she gets time in her day to sent out another password and I'd better not mess that up. Wow. I think I'll just go about getting a job myself and leave those fools behind. And they think I've got no skills-at least I know how to conduct MYSELF when dealing with Joe Q Public.

That is awful. I would check out other agencies. Like I said I'm not crazy about them but I ended up getting steady work. And the pay increased as I got good reviews from the companies I was sent to. So the agency got comfortable sending me out on assignments that paid better and were closer to my skill set.

The assignments lasted anywhere from one week to nine months. Do you have an Office Team in your area. I used them in Southern CA and worked on a regular basis. But I called in as soon as an assignment was ending and said what is next?

I didn't wait for them to contact me, I also asked the place I was working at the beginning of each week will this assignment be extended the agency needs to know( no they didn't) but it gave me a heads up.

The assignment that lasted 9 months went on for so long because I got transferred to another dept, another temp never asked about extensions or other depts. and was let go. He didn't see it coming. I said to him didn't you ask who you were reporting to about how much longer they needed you, or if they were done with you was there another dept you could go to?

I said you have to sell yourself and be proactive.

The poster on hear who said they call in once a month, they're not going to remember who you are if you do that.

Old 09-28-2010, 12:52 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,746,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
In my opinion, which is based on years and years of experience, I feel that all temp agencies, recruiters, headhunters, and all "labor middlemen" are bottom feeders. These are the people who can't get "real jobs" for whatever reason. All one has to do is read the ad carefully and the language tells you whether it's a real employer or this "middleman". Words like "top tier Ivy League," "energetic," “rising stars,” “upward mobility,” “recent college grads,” or someone on the “fast track.” Anybody from a "top tier Ivy League" either has the networks established in school already, or via Daddy's or Mommy's networks and doesn't need these labor selling leeches!! Ivy League graduates can pave their own way. Not only do these "agents" have stupid ads everywhere for jobs that often do not exist, once you come in they do a bait and switch. They talk down to you like you are sc*m. They endlessly waste your time with loads of software tests, long applications and many useless forms for jobs they have no intention of sending you to. It costs to take the train to and back for one of these "imaginary" interviews, as any interview with anyone other than the actual employer is not a real interview. They're getting paid by the company client to collect resumes, look busy, and account for time spent "looking" for that "perfect" candidate. By the way, the "perfect" candidate doesn't need them. He/she already has a job. In this economy, an agency is the last place that will help you find a job. They are the biggest cherry-pickers.
Beautifully Spoken ! And your post # 13 !

Old 09-28-2010, 12:54 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,746,538 times
Quote:
This is horrible. She seems like lower than pond scum and takes it out on the suffering jobless !

Shame on her for treating you that way . !

Old 09-28-2010, 01:39 PM
NSX

877 posts, read 2,167,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
Best description of headhunters/recruiters etc on City-Data that I've read thus far on CityData.

When I was younger and recently done with grad school, I wasn't as wise as I am now. I wasted countless hours working with recruiters, interviewing, sending resumes, etc. Then it would all end the same way...One day I'd stop getting called back, get ignored and the cycle would start over again with another one of these snakes. Often times, they are collecting peoples information to sell it to a marketing company at work. Also, storing resumes in case a job "might be available in the pipeline" two decades later, or just trying to make themselves look busy at their own job. The point is, none of these is in any interest of the job-seeker.

Eventually I realized something wasn't right and stopped using these snakes. I called and got back in touch with one of my old coworkers from a college internship. I got a interview and a job and things have been going well ever since. Every once in awhile, these recruiters I used to work will call since they still have my number. Mostly I just hang up. One of them said they had a lead on a job, and after I told him that I had already found a job a year ago he said "Oh, ok, that's great - you need to make sure you always remember those who helped you along the way" Me, laughing: "You didn't help anyone with anything, now lose my number".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment