Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2010, 12:19 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
That's an idea but for someone without a driver's license and who is unable to obtain one, not realistic in my situation. There is no night owl bus service in my area plus it isn't safe for a female to be traveling via bus that late anyhow.
I guess I'll never understand living my life in fear of crime. I work overnights, so when I get out early, it's pretty early. I'm not afraid of being accosted during my 2-3 mile walk (somewhere in there).

Old 10-14-2010, 12:25 PM

219 posts, read 562,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I guess I'll never understand living my life in fear of crime. I work overnights, so when I get out early, it's pretty early. I'm not afraid of being accosted during my 2-3 mile walk (somewhere in there).
But your profile picture obviously identifies you as man. So surely you could never understand a woman's perspective on crime. Women are at a much higher risk of being violated than a man, or so the crime statistics claim anyhow.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:29 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times
Quote:
I don't live my life in fear of crime and used to take multiple buses at night in rough areas to get my masters degree. Having said that, I believe firmly in being smart as a female about not placing myself in unnecessary risky situations and will not walk several miles in the middle of the night to work a low-wage job, especially when I have other alternatives. I am no match against a male predator so I am not going to make myself an easy victim.

TKramer, you seem to lack empathy for other folks. The solutions that have worked for you do not automatically work for everyone.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:30 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svatos View Post
But your profile picture obviously identifies you as man. So surely you could never understand a woman's perspective on crime. Women are at a much higher risk of being violated than a man, or so the crime statistics claim anyhow.
No doubt! Men seriously have NO clue what it's like to be a woman walking alone at night, particularly if you're younger and/or in a bad neighborhood. I'm a pretty tough city girl, and even I know where and when to avoid walking alone - men don't generally have to worry about such a thing.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:32 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
No doubt! Men seriously have NO clue what it's like to be a woman walking alone at night, particularly if you're younger and/or in a bad neighborhood. I'm a pretty tough city girl, and even I know where and when to avoid walking alone - men don't generally have to worry about such a thing.
Agreed. Women are far more at risk of being the victim of a crime then men are. When I was younger I considered myself a "retty tough city girl" but as I've aged I defintiely feel more vulnerable.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post

TKramer, you seem to lack empathy for other folks. The solutions that have worked for you do not automatically work for everyone.
I freely admit this. I do lack empathy, also sympathy, or any of a wide range of "feelings". I'm completely on the logical/mental side of things.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:38 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Agreed. Women are far more at risk of being the victim of a crime then men are. When I was younger I considered myself a "retty tough city girl" but as I've aged I defintiely feel more vulnerable.
Yep, it's a sad but true fact! I recently had to run into a store and ask them to lock the door, just because a creepy man was following & harassing me for blocks. How many guys here have experienced that?

Old 10-14-2010, 12:38 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times
Quote:
I freely admit this. I do lack empathy, also sympathy, or any of a wide range of "feelings". I'm completely on the logical/mental side of things.
Well ... None of the "solutions" you suggested are logical for most people ...

Old 10-14-2010, 12:43 PM

works for me...and I'm no one special. I'm a typical person, so it should work for others.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:44 PM

219 posts, read 562,554 times
Quote:
Sir, please do not mistake your ignorance and myopia with lack of compassion and having a logical mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment