Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 05:41 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,490,405 times

Advertisements

If there are people close by who share similar interests as me I have no problem kicking it after work occasionally. In Cleveland people live so spread out though that you cannot hang out on a regular basis due to travel time, children restraints, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 07:11 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
Socialize a bit, don't completely cut yourself off, as that could impact things at work. Maybe just go out one night a week, one or two lunches, play on the softball team.

I have two friends at work, but that is it. We might go out to happy hour once in awhile, but I am fairly high up where I work, and can't really socialize with everyone...it is not worth it to me. There are too many things that can affect my position if I start going to happy hour with everyone...but that is me.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:00 AM

73 posts, read 288,895 times
My office wasn't just a few buddies go out for drinks, it was like at 5:30 the whole office would migrate over to some bar and get wasted there until 11 or so. A bunch of people would go home and a small group would go out and get wasted all night...lol.

Because of this it was more an entire office activity not just 2 or 3 guys going to grab drinks. There was also Cubs games, Kayaking trips, group lunches several times per week, trips to Florida for a few days just to get hammered.

I know it may sound cool to some but like a few others have mentioned. I have a life outside of work, I have my own friends and my own family and I already spend 50 hours a week with work people. Plus since I dont live in the city when everyone else goes home after the bar I have a cab ride back to union station and an 1.5 hour commute on the milk train stopping at every stop on the way back to the burbs.

I also agree with a few other posters that I like being social at work , maybe playing on a softball team or getting lunch occasionaly but I kind of like to keep a work/personal life seperation. Dont like to get too cool with work people or I find boundaries kind of start to blur

Old 10-11-2010, 09:52 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,703,067 times
I absolutely love a social workplace. I'm very extroverted and miss having consistent friends. As a mom, I have to get up and leave and "do my other job" and there are not breaks. GOING to work is my break. My weekends are more work then at my desk during the week!

But I also really really liked High School too (Class of 1990), and the thing I loved most about high school was that everyone was "trapped" in the school and forced to socialize (one way or another) with each other. I LOVED THAT. They were my "co-worker" whether they liked it or not, and I got to see them everyday. (Most were friends of course)

So maybe the people who enjoyed the socialization in High School also thrive in a very social environment at their workplace?

Old 10-11-2010, 11:43 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,384,844 times
Work is for work, and to me people who confuse social activities at work probably are insecure and need the attention.

People at work are just that, nothing more.

Old 10-11-2010, 01:45 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,699,747 times
I like it very much

Old 10-11-2010, 02:44 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
I have what I would consider a few good friends at work and quite a few people I would consider a notch below that.

Old 10-11-2010, 06:54 PM

884 posts, read 2,642,702 times
No way!.

That is what "real" friends are for.

In Govt, (this agency anyhow) I don't have to be friends with anyone on my level to advance.

Old 10-11-2010, 06:57 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,485,551 times
I enjoy a workplace where everyone's at least somewhat sociable but usually don't insist on doing things together outside of work (but still maybe leave that option open.) I sparingly mix work and life...

Old 10-11-2010, 08:55 PM

225 posts, read 1,115,040 times
My dad told me once "you have to work with them but not socialize with them" and I took his advice. I don't socialize nor share any personal info about home life etc, nor go out with co-workers after work. It works for me. Of course, I am known as an anti-social grouch and worse. I work 12+ hours a day with them and the last thing I want to do is spend more time with these people. I guess it's a matter of personal preference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment