Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 06:29 PM

983 posts, read 4,441,732 times

Advertisements

This article made me sad for this age group. To work so many years and to end up in Ms Reid's boat.

for-the-unemployed-over-50-fears-of-never-working-again: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/focus-retirement/article/110742/for-the-unemployed-over-50-fears-of-never-working-again?mod=fidelity-changingjobs&cat=fidelity_2010_changing_jobs - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 11:07 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,000,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligurltotx View Post
This article made me sad for this age group. To work so many years and to end up in Ms Reid's boat.

for-the-unemployed-over-50-fears-of-never-working-again: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/focus-retirement/article/110742/for-the-unemployed-over-50-fears-of-never-working-again?mod=fidelity-changingjobs&cat=fidelity_2010_changing_jobs - broken link)
I think she'll make it. If she hangs in there, she'll have to settle for a much lower paying job (a "survival job") for a while.
Like she said, she's creative. She'll think of something.
At least her house is paid for. Imagine having a mortgage - AND a
stink-load of taxes.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:36 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,637,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
I think she'll make it. If she hangs in there, she'll have to settle for a much lower paying job (a "survival job") for a while.
Like she said, she's creative. She'll think of something.
At least her house is paid for. Imagine having a mortgage - AND a
stink-load of taxes.
Or she will refuse any lower wage job.

I have an aunt who is over 50 and who has flat out said she will not take a job that pays less than 50k. Keep in mind 50k would be a very very handsome wage in her area. She said she is "too old to settle for a low wage."

Luckily right now she is living with her ex husband who is pretty wealthy, but I do think she is very very concerned about what it means if ex-husband passes away. He has stated that his estate will only go to his children and grandchildren and nothing to her (long story that one). The thing is is that he is significantly older than her so whereas most people don't think about what will happen to their spouse, he is at an age where it is not uncommon to pass away.

I feel for her because I don't think he has been that supportive of her job search. He likes her being there at home with him. He doesn't like her to be away doing something else so I think he has intentionally shot down some of the interviews she has had because he wants her to be around him all day. I think that is now where she has this mindset that she should only consider jobs that pay such an inflated wage that quite frankly she will not get -- especially in the area she lives.

Old 09-21-2010, 06:59 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,364,009 times
I'll be 60 in 3 short weeks and lost my job/career of 7 years as a real estate title examiner on 5/31/2008.

I've applied to EVERYTHING within a commutable distance that I'm remotely qualified for. I have excellent, up to date computer skills (test at 98-100% on Microsoft products), type 55wpm, have legal and medical backgrounds. I took a phlebotomy course and got certified this April and still no job. In my decades of working I've never worked retail or fast food, I do apply to those jobs but don't get them because the job market is so bad where I'm located they are only hiring those with prior experience. So yes I'm very worried, I'm single and out of unemployment benefits, can't move because I can't sell my small home.

I'm more than willing to take an entry level position and be glad for the opportunity, I've even called HR asking why I didn't get an interview and when I do get interviews I call and ask is there something more I should be doing to get a job and only get told "well you were one of our top candidates".

I also volunteer at the Red Cross Donor Center to put something on my resume. I had hoped to get a phlebotomy job and go to school to get my MLT, but that hope is dashed as I can't seem to even get an entry level job with my phlebotomy certificate and certification.

I face age discrimination as many of the older workers do, I can't turn back the clock but I need to work! It's very very frightening.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:17 AM

2,757 posts, read 4,000,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
I'll be 60 in 3 short weeks and lost my job/career of 7 years as a real estate title examiner on 5/31/2008.

I've applied to EVERYTHING within a commutable distance that I'm remotely qualified for. I have excellent, up to date computer skills (test at 98-100% on Microsoft products), type 55wpm, have legal and medical backgrounds. I took a phlebotomy course and got certified this April and still no job. In my decades of working I've never worked retail or fast food, I do apply to those jobs but don't get them because the job market is so bad where I'm located they are only hiring those with prior experience. So yes I'm very worried, I'm single and out of unemployment benefits, can't move because I can't sell my small home.

I'm more than willing to take an entry level position and be glad for the opportunity, I've even called HR asking why I didn't get an interview and when I do get interviews I call and ask is there something more I should be doing to get a job and only get told "well you were one of our top candidates".

I also volunteer at the Red Cross Donor Center to put something on my resume. I had hoped to get a phlebotomy job and go to school to get my MLT, but that hope is dashed as I can't seem to even get an entry level job with my phlebotomy certificate and certification.

I face age discrimination as many of the older workers do, I can't turn back the clock but I need to work! It's very very frightening.
Any chance you can get a job (at least part-time) at the Red Cross Donor Center? They know how you work, so it would be beneficial to them and you if they hired you (even for part-time).

Have you applied to work-at-home jobs?

Also, try applying for jobs further out. Hopefully you'll get something soon.

You sound like a great, stable worker. It's crazy that companies aren't hiring older candidates.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:23 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,805,531 times
this article is the real deal......It just makes us keep it all in perspective....Yes I have a job and d@mn thankful for it...but I know that it can be gone tomorrow....We sometime get spoiled with our great salaries and think we are invincible.......NOT.....If this article isnt a wake up call I dont know what is...Even while we are gainfully employed, we need to live within our means.....Spend our dollars like its our last dollar and just pray and hope we can ride this recession out....It's a cold, cold world out there and the comments at the end of this article reflect it.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:25 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,364,009 times
Quote:
Any chance you can get a job (at least part-time) at the Red Cross Donor Center? They know how you work, so it would be beneficial to them and you if they hired you (even for part-time).

You sound like a great, stable worker. It's crazy that companies aren't hiring older candidates.
I've applied to the Red Cross and have been interviewed, waiting to hear and there aren't any "part time jobs" at the Red Cross. I have yet to find a non-scam work at home job that would make me any money so let me know if you find one. I'm looking as far away as possible - up to 50 miles away and at minimum wage after that I'd be working for gas money.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:29 AM

8,942 posts, read 20,367,927 times
Read that article yesterday AM about Mrs. Reid and part of it was totally understandable while other parts of her story were a little ridiculous! She has a Masters Degree, of which is a lot more than some of us (like myself) have. She was making $80K a year and where her home is, with a fantastic view, shows that, but her/husband are paying so much in property tax per year. Right after being laid-off, her and her husband took two nice vacations overseas......not such a good idea. She lost $80K for withdrawing her 401K to early.....good or bad, just depends. Don't know what she weighed at the time she was laid-off, but the lady has definitely got some weight on herself now that has taken a toll on her back. Her husband thinks she is isolating herself too much from everyone.
Wife/I have compassion for her and her husband, but some things about her story and job-searching seem odd......don't you think?
We are both in our early 60's and unemployed and sure as "H" hasn't been easy for us to find a job again!

Last edited by BabyBoomers2; 09-21-2010 at 07:39 AM..

Old 09-21-2010, 07:34 AM

8,942 posts, read 20,367,927 times
When making $80K a year, I would definitely think that I'm invincible, I'm not, but sure would think that.
"Living within means" isn't on anyone's mind that makes that kind of money!

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
this article is the real deal......It just makes us keep it all in perspective....Yes I have a job and d@mn thankful for it...but I know that it can be gone tomorrow....We sometime get spoiled with our great salaries and think we are invincible.......NOT.....If this article isnt a wake up call I dont know what is...Even while we are gainfully employed, we need to live within our means.....Spend our dollars like its our last dollar and just pray and hope we can ride this recession out....It's a cold, cold world out there and the comments at the end of this article reflect it.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:35 AM

11,295 posts, read 18,882,521 times
Quote:

I give blood about as often as one can and sometimes because of it being at work, being away and there happens to be a local drive, etc. it's in different states and I've almost never seen a Donor Center worker who looks over about 35-40 or so. Seems they mostly hire relatively young people........sad!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment