Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 07:55 PM

437 posts, read 811,481 times

Advertisements

I recently graduated from Florida Atlantic University with Marketing and Management degree and could not find jobs related to my field here . Is it wise for me to come up to West Coast or stick to East Coast NYC or Florida to search for jobs . How is the job market for marketing jobs there in West Coast compared to East Coast and is it wise to move now or shall i move to NYC ? Is LA more in criss than in NYC where is wiser for me to move as a recent college graduate ? NYC Or LA . Please give me some advice thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 08:00 PM

23 posts, read 24,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inter441 View Post
I recently graduated from Florida Atlantic University with Marketing and Management degree and could not find jobs related to my field here . Is it wise for me to come up to West Coast or stick to East Coast NYC or Florida to search for jobs . How is the job market for marketing jobs there in West Coast compared to East Coast and is it wise to move now or shall i move to NYC ? Is LA more in criss than in NYC where is wiser for me to move as a recent college graduate ? NYC Or LA . Please give me some advice thanks

Only you can answer that question. As long as I've been living, I've come to the conclusion that MOST of the advice people will give you is useless. Sure you'll get a few people that offer decent info but for the most part, you'll end up back at square 1-------

Old 10-13-2010, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im Stuck View Post
Only you can answer that question. As long as I've been living, I've come to the conclusion that MOST of the advice people will give you is useless. Sure you'll get a few people that offer decent info but for the most part, you'll end up back at square 1-------
What will you do if you were in my shoes ?

Old 10-13-2010, 08:09 PM

23 posts, read 24,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inter441 View Post
what will you do if you were in my shoes ?

think for myself!

Old 10-14-2010, 09:01 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
I were in your shoes I'd probably look to other areas with lower rents and lower unemployment rates. There are a lot of companies headquartered in Connecticut, Atlanta, Chicago, Philadelphia, St. Louis, Dallas, Kansas City, and Denver. And don't look just to large companies. Join as many marketing groups as you can (AMA is particularly helpful and their job board currently has 4000 listings!) and network. Too bad you hadn't posted this a couple of months ago when I was looking to hire an entry level marketing and business development person. Good luck!

Old 10-14-2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I were in your shoes I'd probably look to other areas with lower rents and lower unemployment rates. There are a lot of companies headquartered in Connecticut, Atlanta, Chicago, Philadelphia, St. Louis, Dallas, Kansas City, and Denver. And don't look just to large companies. Join as many marketing groups as you can (AMA is particularly helpful and their job board currently has 4000 listings!) and network. Too bad you hadn't posted this a couple of months ago when I was looking to hire an entry level marketing and business development person. Good luck!
please let me know when you have any openings email me at knaing786@gmail.com thanks

Old 10-14-2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inter441 View Post
please let me know when you have any openings email me at knaing786@gmail.com thanks
I don't expect to be hiring for a marketing position again for at least three years at this point.

Old 10-14-2010, 05:12 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,001,241 times
I vote for South Dakota. Very low unemployment rate and parts of it are pretty.

In this economy, I would focus on the places with the lowest unemployment rates. Once you get experience, you can set your sights on more exciting places.

Old 10-14-2010, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
I vote for South Dakota. Very low unemployment rate and parts of it are pretty.

In this economy, I would focus on the places with the lowest unemployment rates. Once you get experience, you can set your sights on more exciting places.
I'd look at the potential job market for MARKETING jobs in South Dakota before moving there. My guess is that there aren't going to be a ton of entry level marketing jobs in South Dakota.

Old 10-14-2010, 05:34 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,001,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I'd look at the potential job market for MARKETING jobs in South Dakota before moving there. My guess is that there aren't going to be a ton of entry level marketing jobs in South Dakota.
True, ideally a place with many headquarters would be the best place to be. There is always Minneapolis nearby. Brutal winters but still fairly low unemployment rate and lots of headquarters.

I would not want to be in FL or CA right now. Unemployment rates are simply too high. I lived in CA for many years and even I wouldn't go back there now. My resume has been ruined and I could not compete.

One thing to think about and it's the competition. Competition for jobs is fierce in some cities. A person has to consider the labor pool and levels of education. Some cities are filled with people who have advanced degrees (which may or may not help in this day and age). This would include LA and NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment