Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 06:38 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,794,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Uh, no, I did say I'd look for a job in my field for a few months, and that would mean collecting UI. But I could not feel good about myself staying on UI for 6mos, 12mos, etc.
I'd take whatever job I could get, and just not spend so much. I am careful to have no credit card debt, my mortgage payment is manageable, I drive an econo car that is paid for, and I'd have to be smarter about grocery shopping and probably have to cut out my wine hobby. I don't live beyond my means, and I sock money away for a rainy day.
So I'd probably be working at both McDonalds AND the toilet job, while I keep looking for something in my field. I can guarantee it would not last long; like I said, I'd either move up rapidly in my new field or I'd finally find something in my current field. But I would never regret the time I'd spent doing the menial work. If anything, it would always remind me of how fortunate I am.
Quote:
I think that humility is a characteristic of a good human being, and I fear that humility is dying or dead.

No one should feel that any job is "below" them. Hard work, any work, is character-building and something to be proud of. As long as you do your best.

Even if the work is tedious, menial, manual, icky, dirty, or involves having to have contact with "low class people."
It makes me want to should "WHO THE HECK DO YOU THINK YOU ARE???" and "WHAT MAKES YOU SO SPECIAL????"

I have a Master's and a comfortable job that I love (I'm one of those people who is passionate about my work). I have a comfy office, flexible time, a good salary, good benefits. But if I were laid off, and could not find a job in my field within a couple of months of diligent searching, I would take whatever job I could get. I'm not above any kind of honest work.

And you know what? I'd do it really well and with pride.

And I could guarantee you that if I started working the register at Walmart, within a few months I'd be a department manager. If I were working the fries at McDonald's, I'd be shift manager in about 3 weeks, and store manager in 3 months. If I were scrubbing toilets, I'd be the Assistant Director toilet scrubber in 2 weeks and Toilet Scrubbing Director in a month!

Because I'd work my ***** off, and I'd show dedication, energy, reliability, honesty, detail-orientedness, pride and ownership of my work, problem-solving ability, integrity, and resourcefulness. I'd go to bed every night exhausted but feeling good about a job well done, and grateful for it.

If you have the attitude that you're doing a job that's "beneath you," you'll have a crappy attitude and not do a good job. If that's how most of the people in those positions are, then I'm confident that I'd rise to the top pretty quickly, on my merit and hard work, not on my self-image of being "superior."

So tell the guy to take great pride in the assemby line work, go to work with a smile, be polite to everyone, whistle while he works, and offer to pitch in and do extra work. Show up early and volunteer to stay late. Before long he'll be head of the assembly line, and even move to higher positions above that.
Quote:
Nope, born in '69. Just raised right!
I was also born in '69 and was raised right as well. You ARE out of touch and need to remove your rose-coloreds'. While all that TALKING you're doing is great in theory, it rarely, rarely works out in the way you describe. You speak as though you believe that all is FAIR in the world.

That's cute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 07:11 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,686,882 times
So what if everything isn't fair? Do you stoop to the level of everyone else, or rise above it?

It's called honor.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:57 AM

7 posts, read 16,962 times
I worked as a school custodian for 6+ months. I kept going at it because I knew just how crappy the economy was around me. I was grateful to be making a dollar over the minimum wage($8.29).

Granted, I was 18 with nothing but a HS diploma under me but I didn't bother looking for anything better because I knew people who were sitting on their butt with nothing to do. Yet, they didn't want to do something like me just because of the the line of work.

It was easy work, so why not? Its better than nothing, unless you get a underemployment check.

Old 04-08-2016, 04:42 PM

62 posts, read 75,771 times
TracySam nicely put. I'm not sure that your scenario to move up would always work but I'm sure if a position became available and you were the bright star that stood out that you would be the one to move up. Menial jobs can be tough sometimes just because they are mind numbing and you start to fall asleep. I have found that humming helps a lot. Creating your own tunes in your head or humming your fav. At least it occupies your mind and keeps you more alert.

Old 07-01-2018, 08:31 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,403,183 times
there a big different from having a job and a career. I have a job, it pays the bills that it, I could quit tomorrow and the company would never bat an eye.

Old 07-01-2018, 08:55 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,929,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
there a big different from having a job and a career. I have a job, it pays the bills that it, I could quit tomorrow and the company would never bat an eye.
I can say that I'm the same. I punch a clock at a certain time to come in and to leave. The work gets dropped and forgotten about as soon as I hit the clock. It's the same job everyday until you quit or get fired.

Old 07-01-2018, 10:35 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,234,302 times
I never look down on people who have to take these jobs that are low-paying. Those jobs have to be done and someone has to do them.

Yes, they are hard and low paying. But anyone can get them. That's the good thing about them.

What I do look down on is the attitude that the people who are in these jobs are not doing something right and are failures. Some people don't have a choice. People, if given the chance, want to move up and get paid better for their work.

As you can tell I have a Theory Y or Z management style.

Old 07-01-2018, 10:57 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,797,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Outcast View Post
After you have tasted the forbidden fruit of a great job, with a nice paycheck, your own office, airconditioning, beautiful workplace and interesting work sourounded by professionals you enjoyed, it is really tough to do anything else. But my brother is facing that very issue right now. He lost his GREAT job in the bad economy and after a year on unemployment he just could not get back into the game.

A friend of his got him into a factory job where he works on an assembly line for about $9.00 an hour. Many of his coworkers are working two full time jobs to make it and basically live a life of toil, noise, boredom and mind numbing tedium. How can they look forward to waking up in the morning facing this type of life every day? My brother is really depressed having to do this type of work but he is at least hopeful of getting a better job soon and does not have to work 80 hours a week like some of his coworkers.

Have you worked in a dirty lousy job after you have tasted the forbidden fruit of a great professional position?
Yep I was "Almost" middle level manager and with the crap I had to put up with from above, I didn't have my own office, but my own desk and phone and parking spot (Hey that's a perk at some places!)

I GLADLY am the happy worker bee and not doing anything but making sure I do my job right.

BTW I was in the job for 6 years. Topped $32K one year (over 300 hours OT) and taking lithium and prozac to stop thoughts of suicide....Yep, happy worker bee am I.

I am at $30K a year without OT. But the job is so easy and stress free...Well, couldn't be happier!

But if you're brother is looking to get the same, then he can stand it. After all, he's so smart and with that degree, he's obviously going to make it right?

Old 07-01-2018, 11:18 AM

1,063 posts, read 697,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Yep I was "Almost" middle level manager and with the crap I had to put up with from above, I didn't have my own office, but my own desk and phone and parking spot (Hey that's a perk at some places!)

I GLADLY am the happy worker bee and not doing anything but making sure I do my job right.

BTW I was in the job for 6 years. Topped $32K one year (over 300 hours OT) and taking lithium and prozac to stop thoughts of suicide....Yep, happy worker bee am I.

I am at $30K a year without OT. But the job is so easy and stress free...Well, couldn't be happier!

But if you're brother is looking to get the same, then he can stand it. After all, he's so smart and with that degree, he's obviously going to make it right?
Whenever I see people stuck in low salary positions through no fault of their own I just think to myself how selfish their Mother was for having them without the proper resources setup in place to give them the proper advantages in life.

Having no economic advantages in this society is perilous, leads to mental insanity and either jail or 6 feet under.

Old 07-01-2018, 11:41 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,797,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaMan View Post

Having no economic advantages in this society is perilous, leads to mental insanity and either jail or 6 feet under.
Ummm...ALL of us will be 6 feet under one day...That doesn't speak well of any of us then :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment