Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 08:13 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,319,403 times

Advertisements

We have always had joint accounts. Dh used to do the bills but he is so anal that he would spend an hour looking for a penny in the accounts that I took over. Now most of our bills are ACH'd out of our accounts so neither of us really 'pay' the bill. It is so handy. I know a lot of friends that have separate accounts and are always talking about having to pay their spouse back for a dinner they had out or whatever--I just don't understand the his money/my money thing I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2007, 06:23 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,254,417 times
When we got married, we got a joint account. I still kept my own but I closed it out like 2 years later. Eventually, hubby and I will add separate accounts just so we can have our own "personal" moola like for birthdays, holidays and stuff. I, the wife, keep track of finances, bills etc. I think it's easier when just one person take care of the money. He brings home the bacon and I cook it! heehee

Old 07-08-2007, 07:15 PM

434 posts, read 1,737,269 times
We have joint accounts all the way. I pay the bills because when we got married I had perfect credit and his was lets say "flawed." Also he would rather be punched in the puss than even discuss finances but we do have quarterly discussions about savings goals etc. He is just so pleased not to have to play "debit card roulet" anymore! Although he did say it takes the fun out of going to the ATM if you always get money. We make big money decisions together and it is all "our money." Team all the way.

Old 07-09-2007, 08:53 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,375,504 times
We were both established professionally by the time we met and married. We kept our separate accounts and then added my name to his. We decided early on that I would do the bill paying and handle all investments. This works well for us. We discuss all finances and any changes, etc.

Until now - he paid the mortgage, insurance, and taxes. I paid utiltiies and all the rest. It comes to approx. 50/50. When we have large purchases, we always discuss this and determine how this will be paid. If we can not afford it, we save for it. If it is an emergency, then we discuss.

Now that we have paid off our mortgage, we will take that amount (including taxes and insurances) each month and put that into a money market fund that will be used to pay insurance/taxes. After one year, the balance will be invested. We will continue to do this for the next ten years.

I never use his money or his checks or his ATM for myself (even though he would like me too). And, conversly, he does not use my money. We communicate about our expenses and never disagree. We live well and save like crazy. :-)

Old 07-09-2007, 11:49 AM

4,606 posts, read 7,690,658 times
Our finances are in joint accounts for us. And anything else we have. And it is me who takes care of the bills etc.. He used to do it, but he works longer than I do now, so it came over to me.

When we were married we just added on names to the better of the accounts we wanted to keep and also opened new joint ones.

I am not understanding the his/her stuff either. That would just not work for us. Simply because we would keep giving eachother all our money to make sure the other had plenty,

Old 07-09-2007, 11:52 AM

4,606 posts, read 7,690,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emjbulls View Post
Since I don't work, it wouldn't make sense for us to have separate accounts so we have everything joint.

I'm the one that does the bills. Hubby doesn't even know what his salary is or what our mortgage is.

But hey, it works that's all that matters,

Old 07-09-2007, 02:23 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
I guess you can count me as one of those "anal" folks. As withjhlcomp, my lady and I were professional established by the time we moved in together. I'm not comfortable with the idea of our paychecks and transactions co-mingling in the same account. That would just drive me nuts!

However, we did initially talk establishing a joint checking account to pay our bills from. But since she is the leaseholder and the bills are pretty much in her name, it seems to work better for us that she pays them and I reimburse her. Regarding grocery shopping, she did have to work to convince me that we should abide by that same reimbursement policy and combine our separate purchases into one. I conceded that issue although her occasional bouts of stocking up wreak minor havoc on my "just-in-time" budget system. LOL

Old 07-09-2007, 08:44 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,096,787 times
For us, we have a joint account and we each have our own accounts. Our separate accounts have been opened since well before we knew each other; neither of us use the separate accounts but we're too lazy to close them. I think my husband has about $20 in his, and I have about $125 in mine. I do all of our financial things. When we first combined $$, we tried to do them together but it was a source of stress and arguing. My husband hates dealing with finances. So after several months we decided I would just take care of things and give him general updates every couple of weeks. We've been doing it that way for over 2 years and it's working; he's not stressed out and I make sure the bills get paid on time.

Old 07-10-2007, 11:47 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,270,334 times
When I was married we had a joint account and I took care of all business to make sure things got done right.

When I was working I also put some money into a seperate account for myself as I firmly believe that every woman should have access to her own money as a personal emergency fund. You never know what's going to happen in life.

Old 07-10-2007, 06:58 PM

484 posts, read 1,944,787 times
I know a lot of friends that have separate accounts and are always talking about having to pay their spouse back for a dinner they had out or whatever--I just don't understand the his money/my money thing I guess.

When Hubby and I got out, we usually pay for it out of the joint account. Sometmes I'll treat with my money, sometimes he'll treat with his.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment