Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 07:21 AM

2,059 posts, read 5,749,627 times

Advertisements

You've asked and they said no - what do you want anyone else to do for you? You can't do anything else but ask. If you think someone else is getting a better deal than you maybe the company is more interested in them than they are in you. I'd be wary of moving my family across country in this type of situation. Have you considered looking for a new job?

Also did you check whether that's $7K in reimbursed expenses or $7k that you will have to pay tax on (which means more like $4k)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 09:18 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,917,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojlo View Post
You've asked and they said no - what do you want anyone else to do for you? You can't do anything else but ask. If you think someone else is getting a better deal than you maybe the company is more interested in them than they are in you. I'd be wary of moving my family across country in this type of situation. Have you considered looking for a new job?

Also did you check whether that's $7K in reimbursed expenses or $7k that you will have to pay tax on (which means more like $4k)?
no they are gonna bump up the 7 k to cover the taxes.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:14 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,238,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daboywonder2002 View Post
no they are gonna bump up the 7 k to cover the taxes.
It should go through A/P instead of Payroll. Then taxes are not an issue.

Old 11-08-2010, 02:58 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daboywonder2002 View Post
here's the deal. job is transitioning over to minnesota from pa. so my last day is dec 3rd. they gave us the option to relocate to minnesota. so ive been out here for the past 2 weeks helping to train on our software. so this friday they finally offered me the job. however, a few problems. 1) the human resources lady says its a lateral move. now right now i get a 9% shift differential. and when i start the new job, i would be working 2nd shift with a shift diff. she says they may not even keep the 2nd and 3rd shift and if they do get rid of it, i would lose that extra money. My issue is, ive been making that differential for the past 4 years. If i relocate, i want EVERYTHING to be lateral. not just my base salary. Then i found out my other co worker who relocated, got a pay raise. He said its supposed to be a lateral move with a pay increase. 2) they want me to start nov 20th. but are trying to stretch it to dec 7th. now im going back to pa today. i havent had a chance to look for a place at all. Now if they wanna fly me back out here and let me stay in a hotel and get me a rental car. ill gladly come back out here to work. 3) they are giving me some money to relocate $7k. i asked her if i had to use that money to fly back out here. she says, OH YOU AREN'T DRIVING?? im like no way. i was gonna ship my car and other stuff. then fly back out. i feel that the job should offer to fly me back out here. so to sum it up here's what i want. tell me if im asking for 2 much??

1) to keep same salary including shift differential. even if that shift goes away. i really want a small pay raise like my co worker. but i dont wanna price myself out of a job

2) for them to fly me back out here with a rental car so i can look around for houses. and i shouldnt have to use my relocation money to do this.

3)when im finally settled. i have to go home to get my stuff. i want them to fly me back out to minnesota. not me use that relocation money. im using that money to pack, ship my car, clothes, furniture, etc. and im using that for a downpayment on a townhouse.
Using part of the relo money for a downpayment on a townhouse? Somehow I don't think that's what they had in mind as relocation money.

Are they just handing you $7,000 and you can do whatever you want with it OR are they going to make you give them receipts on everything you spend that is an acceptable relocation expense and then reimburse you (or for large expenses, pay up front to your moving company, etc.) that with a maximum figure of $7,000?

As for shift differentials, that is exactly what they are ... a higher wage for you working an off-hour shift. If you are not working the off-hour shift, you don't get it. If you want to be guaranteed the same wage no matter what shift you end up with, then my advice is to ask for a raise for 1st shift equivalent to whatever you are getting now in your off-hours shift. Then you will make a little more at any off-hours shift you work and won't "lose" any pay if you end up with the first shift after all.

Old 11-08-2010, 03:23 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
I was transferred from SLC to MN back in 1995 and my relo was 10K. And I did get more money as well, but remember, times were much better back then. Today, I wouldn't turn down a job unless I was darn sure I could get something else.

Here's what I really wanted to say. I hope you consider renting in MN. It's not an easy place to live. I could deal with the cold but when winter is half the year, it's just too much. It just lasts too long. And even before the snow melts completely, the air is full of biting insects. It's not an easy place to live unless you are an avid hunter/fisherman. And you love ice fishing.

Old 11-08-2010, 05:22 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,749,627 times
I'm assuming that by downpayment he meant deposit. I doubt I'd be trying to buy anything with this job.

We were not required to submit receipts for the cash portion of our relocation, but because we spent more than the amount that we were given we were able to deduct the extra amounts on our tax return for that year. Of course that did require receipts.

If I was you I'd drive out there initially with your car, and the stuff you will need in the beginning. Then I'd ask them to pay for the flights for you and your family to come out together later on (with you paying yourself to fly back home to go get them). It's a much better way to use your money since you don't have much of it.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:27 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
When I got relo they just gave me the cash. I didn't have to give receipts. They just said this covers anything else we didn't specifically cover. But that was definitely when times were much better than they are now.

Old 11-09-2010, 02:57 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,411,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I was transferred from SLC to MN back in 1995 and my relo was 10K. And I did get more money as well, but remember, times were much better back then. Today, I wouldn't turn down a job unless I was darn sure I could get something else.
I agree with this. OP, maybe you should sign a lease on a nice apartment/duplex. Maybe something that includes heat, if possible, with winter coming? Maybe low-ball your living expectations for a while. Settle for that apartment for a while.... just for a year to see if you even like Minnesota. Maybe in in six months or so you'll decide "this state's not for me"... and then you can begin sending out your resumes again back home in PA.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:49 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,917,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Using part of the relo money for a downpayment on a townhouse? Somehow I don't think that's what they had in mind as relocation money.

Are they just handing you $7,000 and you can do whatever you want with it OR are they going to make you give them receipts on everything you spend that is an acceptable relocation expense and then reimburse you (or for large expenses, pay up front to your moving company, etc.) that with a maximum figure of $7,000?

As for shift differentials, that is exactly what they are ... a higher wage for you working an off-hour shift. If you are not working the off-hour shift, you don't get it. If you want to be guaranteed the same wage no matter what shift you end up with, then my advice is to ask for a raise for 1st shift equivalent to whatever you are getting now in your off-hours shift. Then you will make a little more at any off-hours shift you work and won't "lose" any pay if you end up with the first shift after all.
im not buying the townhouse. im renting it. and why cant i use the money for the 1st month rent and security?? i can do whatever i want with the money. but its for me to use to move. it will get deposited into my account

Old 11-09-2010, 08:16 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
If they are just giving you the cash you can use it to buy booze and hookers if you want. It's completely up to the individual. So saying something like "I don't think that is what it was intended for" is just silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment