Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 02:22 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,134,052 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am new here but I have been following this particular forum for a while since it is probably the largest forum about jobs. To give a little background about myself, I have been unemployed since September 2009 and I still have not found a job. I used to work for a large energy company in the finance division right after college in July 2007 and then I was laid off since the company had losses due to the recession.

I have interviewed for over 26 different positions since I was laid off and it is becoming extremely frustrating and humiliating since I have not landed a position yet. All of the jobs I interviewed for were financial analyst positions so it isn't as though I am targeting something out of range for me. For example, I haven't applied to any cashier positions since I know they wouldn't hire me at all or at least that's what I have been told.

My question is is this normal or I am the reason for this failure? I have had practice interviews with professionals so it isn't as though I am a horrendous interviewer or anything, at least the professionals say it isn't.

Also, has anyone else gone through what I am going through, basically a lot of interviews with no offers? I live in California if anyone is wondering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 04:23 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
I don't think anyone can really answer your question. You're getting interviews, 26 is seems like a lot, that's one every two weeks since you've been laid off.

I can't write much more than what you already know. Keep applying. If you are only applying in CA, then maybe apply out of state.

Do you get any feedback from the interviews? Are they saying "If you'd only had skill XYZ."?

Old 11-22-2010, 04:29 PM

I do get that kind of feedback often such as "we went with this candidate who had skills in this" and etc. That is usually the most common feedback. Some do not give feedback however and that is probably in accordance with HR policy. I actually did have some interviews with out of state companies although obviously I did not make it through.

Old 11-22-2010, 04:59 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,768,409 times
It's the economy. I used to be able to get a job with just one or two interviews. Now I'm getting nothing even though I get an interview once or twice a month. Employers can be super picky and it's like playing the lottery (i.e., you'll win eventually, it just takes a lot of attempts)

Old 11-22-2010, 05:38 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,365,699 times
It's the economy...26 interviews wow, it sounds like you'll be back to work long before many of us will. Most of us are lucky if we get 1-2 a month.

Old 11-22-2010, 05:44 PM

1,828 posts, read 4,656,171 times
Its the economy, You are one of millions as there just is not enough jobs for all those out of work. I was out of work from Dec. 2008 to Nov. 2010. Just short of 2 years. I have a contract job that was over hired for and dont feel all that secure either in this current job. After 90 to 120 days they have stated they will get rid of some of the contractors, So its not leaving a good taste in my mouth at this point. But I guess I have a job for at least 3 months.

Old 11-22-2010, 05:46 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,365,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHGreat View Post
Its the economy, You are one of millions as there just is not enough jobs for all those out of work. I was out of work from Dec. 2008 to Nov. 2010. Just short of 2 years. I have a contract job that was over hired for and dont feel all that secure either in this current job. After 90 to 120 days they have stated they will get rid of some of the contractors, So its not leaving a good taste in my mouth at this point. But I guess I have a job for at least 3 months.
Congrats on your job

Old 11-22-2010, 05:46 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,269,059 times
Finance is a miserable field to be in right now. I'd go with economy, not you.

Old 11-22-2010, 05:49 PM

1,828 posts, read 4,656,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
Congrats on your job
Thanks, I guess nothing is secure at the moment anyways. Its something for now I guess is the way I should look at it.

Old 11-22-2010, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
It's the economy...26 interviews wow, it sounds like you'll be back to work long before many of us will. Most of us are lucky if we get 1-2 a month.
I applied to less than 200 jobs online since my layoff. However, 13 of the 26 interviews I had were from online submissions. I got the rest through networking and so far I have networked with around 100 different people since I was laid off. I should say even those interview I got through online submission, I got them through networking and then contacting the HR recruiter. I cold e-mailed and cold called quite a few people to get these interviews.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment