Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 04:53 PM

67 posts, read 151,568 times

Advertisements

My wife went in for an initial interview today and the Manager stated that the owner does the second interviews but he normally requires that people be able to work at both locations he owns. One is about 10 miles away, the other location is an extra 30 miles away.

What I ask is if this is a reasonable distance to expect your employees to travel? My wife's vehicle will get around 20 miles to the gallon and this will cost us about 9 dollars a day just in gas and I'm not sure if she would even be able to make enough to come out ahead after taxes and all the other crud they pull out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as always.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 04:59 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,067,847 times
Thirty miles is not that far. I'd ask how often he thinks she'd have to go to the further location, it's possible it would only be once a week or so.

Taxes should run her 25% or so, so unless she's only making minimum wage and working p/t, she's going to come out ahead--and that's if she needs to go to the remote location five days a week.

PS--I'd look into a more economical car when you can, all indications are that gas prices will continue to rise for the foreseeable future.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:14 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,733,310 times
You got it easy. We commute about 50 miles a day for work. This is not the old days where everyone can walk to work.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:03 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,648,684 times
The problem is if your wife isn't willing to do the commute someone else will be. Employers do not care where you live, they want you to be able to get to work.

She could ask how often she would have to go the 30 mile location. But keep in mind what she is told and what might end up happening can be two different things.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:18 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,941,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcnwzrd View Post
My wife went in for an initial interview today and the Manager stated that the owner does the second interviews but he normally requires that people be able to work at both locations he owns. One is about 10 miles away, the other location is an extra 30 miles away.

What I ask is if this is a reasonable distance to expect your employees to travel? My wife's vehicle will get around 20 miles to the gallon and this will cost us about 9 dollars a day just in gas and I'm not sure if she would even be able to make enough to come out ahead after taxes and all the other crud they pull out.

Arizona.

I assume this is a 40 hour week, married with one deduction. Instead of gasoline figure the cost of operating the vehicle which wouldn't be less than $0.30 per mile. 20 miles = $6.00 and 60 miles =$18.00.

From the following net pay subtract the cost of travel. At 20 miles it will be $30.00/week and at 60 miles it would be $90.00/week.

$90 off of $10/hr makes the job not worth it the travel cost alone takes 25% of her take home pay and then you get to figure the hour spent on the road that is work she doesn't get paid for. Even at $20/hr it's 13% of her take home pay.

Hourly-----Net Pay
$10.00/hr=$359.71
$12.00/hr=$427.20
$14.00/hr=$494.18
$16.00/hr=$557.66
$18.00/hr=$621.14
$20.00/hr=$684.62

Old 01-05-2011, 08:43 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,639,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcnwzrd View Post

It is not unreasonable-- although if one location is her primary-- she may (and this is something to consult with your tax adviser) be able to itemize mileage to the secondary office minus what would be her normal mileage. It has been so long since I have really worked with income tax preparation-- but there is potentially that.

Or-- the company may even let her expense the extra mileage.

My company allows us to expense to a secondary office location, but I rarely do-- just more of a hassle than anything else.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:49 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,195,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
It is not unreasonable-- although if one location is her primary-- she may (and this is something to consult with your tax adviser) be able to itemize mileage to the secondary office minus what would be her normal mileage. It has been so long since I have really worked with income tax preparation-- but there is potentially that.

Or-- the company may even let her expense the extra mileage.

My company allows us to expense to a secondary office location, but I rarely do-- just more of a hassle than anything else.
You cannot deduct mileage to and from your home to your job. However, you can deduct mileage between the HOME location and secondary location. If her primary location is the closer one and on some particular day she has to go to the second one, she can deduct the mileage between the two and back again. She may have to stop there to make it legit. She needs to keep a daily record of it - a booklet in her glove box is best. I used to go to meetings that were 40 miles past my office to another of our locations. I started documenting mileage the minute I passed the exit to my main office.

My company expensed a portion of my mileage and I itemized the difference.

But keep in mind deducting mileage is only applicable if you itemize on your taxes. Mileage alone is not enough.

This is an article and not the IRS site. http://hubpages.com/hub/Travel-Mileage-Deduction-Amount

Old 01-06-2011, 06:53 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,639,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
You cannot deduct mileage to and from your home to your job. However, you can deduct mileage between the HOME location and secondary location. If her primary location is the closer one and on some particular day she has to go to the second one, she can deduct the mileage between the two and back again. She may have to stop there to make it legit. She needs to keep a daily record of it - a booklet in her glove box is best. I used to go to meetings that were 40 miles past my office to another of our locations. I started documenting mileage the minute I passed the exit to my main office.

My company expensed a portion of my mileage and I itemized the difference.

But keep in mind deducting mileage is only applicable if you itemize on your taxes. Mileage alone is not enough.

This is an article and not the IRS site. Allowed Job, Work, Gas, & Travel Mileage Deduction Amount 2010, 2011
Thanks for the info---

Personally, I just never worried about it. The distance for me-- is not that huge. Although now that I work remotely-- if I were to have to go into the office (various reason, video conferencing, pick up mail, etc) it may make more sense for me to keep track of it-- but then again it is not really material to me. Heck, I have a hard time submitting all of my internet, telephone bills each month (I do it within 60 days as a batch).

Old 01-06-2011, 07:54 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,195,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
Thanks for the info---

Personally, I just never worried about it. The distance for me-- is not that huge. Although now that I work remotely-- if I were to have to go into the office (various reason, video conferencing, pick up mail, etc) it may make more sense for me to keep track of it-- but then again it is not really material to me. Heck, I have a hard time submitting all of my internet, telephone bills each month (I do it within 60 days as a batch).
I worked a huge territory so for me keeping track of my monthly mileage was my car payment.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:36 AM

536 posts, read 1,430,215 times
I didn't do the math, but some posters are (wrongly) comparing the mileage you would be doing to NO MILEAGE at all. This is flawed. You need to compare it to the average commute you can expect in your area. After all, the other options involve using your car anyway, correct?

Also, the cost of the operation of a vehicle is not 30 cents/mile. Companies that reimburse employees for the use of a personal vehicle to travel somewhere out of town on the job, use a rate of 30c/mi, which by no means indicates that the cost is that. It is an advantageous rate to discourage the use of a rental for short haul trips which costs the company more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment