Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 09:52 AM

32 posts, read 147,992 times

Advertisements

I am attempting to arrange interviews and hopefully land a job in advance of my move to another city so I can have a job waiting for me AND so I can prove employment to get a mortgage. Do you have any suggestions?

I have tried writing to the major companies in my new city that would interest me, watching the classifieds in the local paper of course, and writing to a few employment agencies explaining what I'd like to do. I'd like to arrange a few interviews, then will plan a trip and talk to people.

Can you suggest websites that are good to post a resume on? Is this a good, safe route to go?

Thanks for any help. This is a great forum -- I'm a newbie here and so glad I found you .

LillieB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2008, 10:01 AM

3,758 posts, read 8,440,043 times
Welcome to the forums!

To be honest with you, I have not had much luck with trying to search for jobs long-distance. I am from Florida and moved to Washington (worst mistake of my life) and have been going on craigslist in Florida and sending resumes to jobs in Florida. I have not had any luck. So I am trying to secure employment here, there, even Arizona, with no luck.

I know people say put an address in Florida, but if they call me for an interview I don't have the money to fly down there and back for interviews. I don't know what to say other than good luck! Oh, and you could try posting on craigslist.

Last edited by PG77; 07-19-2008 at 10:14 AM.. Reason: additional comment

Old 07-19-2008, 10:26 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,201,680 times
Again Lillie, I would contact some recruiters that specialize in your industry in the area you are interested in. Use a po box if you have to as an address. You can get one with a credit card over the phone. Check out www.indeed.com as it covers all the jobs for monster and hotjobs all in one. Good luck.

Old 07-19-2008, 12:06 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,368,972 times
I used the major sites to look (Monster, Hotjobs, Careerbuilder) and posted my resume onto them. It seems that indeed.com and simplyhired.com will search through these sites (and others) at the same time. So they may be easier to use for searching.

Ultimately it will depend on the kind of position you are looking for and your experience as to whether you will get responses to posted resumes, so you're likely to get more responses if you respond directly to job ads online.

Old 07-20-2008, 11:44 AM

8,942 posts, read 20,367,927 times
Darn near impossible to do, UNLESS you are applying for a CEO, President, CFO or other jobs like these where a company will advertise out-of-State for the position. But, weither it's one of these jobs or ?, you will still need the money to fly (plus hotel/rental car) for the interview.
Wife looked for a job in Colorado while living in So Calif, but no one called! We moved to CO without jobs or a place to live and done fine.

Old 07-20-2008, 02:14 PM

630 posts, read 2,226,583 times
I didn't apply for a CEO, President, CFO, CIO or any other high ended type position and I've gotten two jobs out of state in 12 months. I was in CA, applied for and accepted a job in MA (worked for them for 9 months). I recently applied for and accepted a job in NY (have worked for them 2 weeks now). The second position I negotiated to stay in MA till the end of my apartment lease, September. So I would say it's possible to do but takes a lot of effort and your skill set must be something that is in demand and is of limited supply.

Best of Luck to you on your endeavors.

Old 07-20-2008, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicTouch View Post
I didn't apply for a CEO, President, CFO, CIO or any other high ended type position and I've gotten two jobs out of state in 12 months. I was in CA, applied for and accepted a job in MA (worked for them for 9 months). I recently applied for and accepted a job in NY (have worked for them 2 weeks now). The second position I negotiated to stay in MA till the end of my apartment lease, September. So I would say it's possible to do but takes a lot of effort and your skill set must be something that is in demand and is of limited supply.

Best of Luck to you on your endeavors.
Did you fly out for interviews?

Old 07-21-2008, 06:41 AM

157 posts, read 790,701 times
Here is another post that has great information:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...ml#post4377304

Old 07-21-2008, 09:44 AM

I just got a call about a job in Phoenix. I am in WA. Now I could have possibly gotten this job but because I cannot afford to just up and fly to an interview I had to pass it by. I cannot just pick up and leave and go down there and hope I would get the job because if I didn't then what would I do? So trying to get a job in another state is very difficult unless you have plenty of money to fly back and forth.

Old 07-21-2008, 12:04 PM

157 posts, read 790,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post
I just got a call about a job in Phoenix. I am in WA. Now I could have possibly gotten this job but because I cannot afford to just up and fly to an interview I had to pass it by. I cannot just pick up and leave and go down there and hope I would get the job because if I didn't then what would I do? So trying to get a job in another state is very difficult unless you have plenty of money to fly back and forth.
Well many companies who are interested in your background, would consider paying your travel expenses (particularly large companies). Perhaps you can let them know that it might be difficult to make arrangements to fly out in a timely fashion, and as such, an initial telephone conversation might be helpful. This will give you an opportunity to evaluate them (and the position), and give them an opportunity to evaluate you. If this initial conversation goes well (on both sides), you may be willing to pay for your travel expenses to go out there....OR they may be more willing to pay for you to get there also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment