Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 02:01 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,928,336 times

Advertisements

Well, where I live, I think the people who do this might be flying under the radar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 03:51 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,189,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Well, where I live, I think the people who do this might be flying under the radar.
More than likely and the only way around it is if you had menus from certain bakeries and a deli or two to, negotiate prices and order up some then go and basket them up and deliver them with your profit cost included. This way you aren't baking and cooking in your own kitchen and it doesn't violate any laws or regulations. Although Martha Stewart got her start selling pies she baked in her own kitchen on the sidewalk.

Old 01-08-2011, 03:58 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,189,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
Tell me about it.

Don't get me wrong: I do know six-figure earners. It's just brutally difficult to do full-time unless you have a nice nest egg, and even that's no guarantee. I've been doing this a year, and my time breaks down to 70% marketing, 20% actually writing, and 10% wondering what I was thinking when I ditched my day job.

Changeyourthoughts, one piece of advice: Make A Living Writing.

Seriously. Best real-world mentoring for writers you can get.

Grant writing turned out to be the most lucrative freelance writing for me because I have business, public relations and government experience and degrees. At times I had to turn people down because I have so many. Then you go through dry spells, so it's a good idea to be able to do more than one kind of writing such as annual reports, brochures, company profiles and bios. Being very dilligent about managing your money is crucial with any freelance jobs and then there are your personal insurance expenses.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:13 AM

304 posts, read 745,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
If he has Autism, he is eligible for extended school year, you need to bring it up in the IEP, that way he can continue school in the summer. (ESY), you need to tell them he needs it, and have them try to deny you...they will want to...tell them to re convene the IEP meeting for another day, when you can come with your attorney. At least that will solve the summer problem for you...
Jasper:

Thank you, I know about ESY and he is eligible for it. ESY here is only 3 days a week for 2-3 hours a day for 4 weeks out of the summer! I MAY be able to,through lots of fighting and several IEP meetings, change that to a timeframe that would suit him better, i.e., he will fall behind if he doesnt have summer school and here is the proof type of thing. It may be worth a shot but I do not have an attorney for one thing, I do have an advocate, maybe this could happen, i dont know, most things I fight like a dog for in these IEPs I dont get and I leave battered and worn.

Thank you for the suggestion, its worth a shot!

Old 01-08-2011, 08:15 AM

304 posts, read 745,325 times
Thank you everyone who has replied. That sandwich thing was a great idea! Too bad it is more complicated.

Thanks for the info on freelance writing, I will definitely check it out. I have never written grants but maybe that is something I could break into.

I am writing down all your ideas people! Thanks for the help!

Old 01-08-2011, 09:31 AM

1,266 posts, read 3,223,823 times
I have a friend who turned this idea into a living wage for her and her two kids over a year's time. She started with a small ad in her local paper, like somebody posted, and then started getting word-of-mouth referrals. Her customer base is mostly retired and home-bound people, although she says she could make more money with targeting professional couples if she lived in a bigger city.

How to Become an Errand Runner (http://ezinearticles.com/?How-to-Become-an-Errand-Runner&id=2923713 - broken link)

Old 01-08-2011, 12:13 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,468,083 times
Can you get a job working for the school district or a preschool?

Old 01-08-2011, 08:04 PM

3,573 posts, read 6,475,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Where do you live?

Old 01-08-2011, 08:46 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,027,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Can you get a job working for the school district or a preschool?
Second this. Also look into driving a school bus. Not very entrepreneurial but the hours will work (he can come on the but with you) and the pay is pretty decent. Plus you would get the same holidays. I know several well educated moms with similar dilemmas who are doing just this. One also drives for a summer camp and gets her kids in there for free.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:57 AM

460 posts, read 1,140,234 times
Visit work from home or work at home mom type forums. There you can find a variety of jobs that parents and others who prefer to work from their homes do. Things like, transcription, writing, customer service (phone jobs), grading essays for testing companies, teaching ESL over the internet, etc. Also, check out Rat Race Rebellion it has several work at home job leads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment