Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 08:35 AM

2,682 posts, read 4,480,222 times

Advertisements

I have a bachelors with a double major in Economics and Finance. I will be completing my MBA this December (2011). Starting January 2012 I would like to start taking courses that I am missing (mostly accounting) to qualify to sit for the CPA exam. My main question is whether I need a Bachelor's in Accounting to qualify to sit for the exam. I know each state is different, but I looked at CA, CT, and FLA and everywhere it says just bachelor's degree. Are some states different? My co-workers says that I do need a BA/BS in Accounting. So confused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 10:39 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,934,552 times
Every state is different--some require a Bachelor's in accounting and others don't. Some have very specific courses and experience requirements and others don't. Some states have residency requirements, others don't. Becker's site has a state drop-down to see each state's requirements.
Becker CPA Exam Review

While you don't necessarily need a degree in accounting to qualify to sit for the exam, you need an accounting background/coursework to pass it.

Old 04-30-2011, 12:25 AM

243 posts, read 1,629,908 times
most states require the accounting hours, not the actual degree

Old 05-02-2011, 12:32 PM

Thanks. I can't find a university close to me or online that accepts students for second bachelor's degrees.

Thanks for the link also.

Old 05-02-2011, 04:01 PM

1,639 posts, read 4,707,155 times
If you don't want to pursue another degree, just get the required accounting courses from a local school or online so you meet the requirements. UCLA and LSU Exention (both online) offer dirt cheap credits to help meet the 150hrs and/or accounting courses.

E-mail your state board before you register for any classes just to be sure.

Old 05-02-2011, 04:37 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,849,445 times
That would be a good way to do it, especially for someone that probably already has the business hours.

In my case I pursued a graduate degree, but I had absolutely no business/accounting background at all.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:17 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,119,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
If you don't want to pursue another degree, just get the required accounting courses from a local school or online so you meet the requirements. UCLA and LSU Exention (both online) offer dirt cheap credits to help meet the 150hrs and/or accounting courses.

E-mail your state board before you register for any classes just to be sure.
^^ This right here!
I'm doing my classes online with Southern Oregon at $760/class. It's called a Post Bachelor's Certificate in Accounting. Check with your state board to verify. My bachelor's degree is in business.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:13 AM

Thanks everyone. I am considering UCLA extention to get the courses that I need. My CPA co-workers keeps insisting that I need a BA or BS in Accounting to be able to sit for the exam. I don't think this is true...

Old 05-03-2011, 08:53 AM

1,359 posts, read 4,849,445 times
They're wrong at least in most states. There are a ton of people who have a bachelor's in something else and decided to go into accounting. It would be a huge burden to force these people to get a second bachelor's degree, which many schools don't allow or at the very least don't provide financial aid for.

When people are starting out with no accounting or business courses, the amount of credit hours they need are equivalent to a degree, which is why a lot of them [like me] end up going to graduate school.

My bachelor's was in English. There was another guy in my program who had a degree in Biblical Studies. Both of us ended up working for the Big Four, with varying degrees of success. But we did both sit for and pass the CPA exam, and at least one of us got a CPA license.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:24 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,182,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtaylo24 View Post
most states require the accounting hours, not the actual degree
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment