Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 08:29 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,638,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Are clients the big boys or mostly smaller companies?
I don't recruit anymore.. but when I did I had clients that ranged from small start ups to medium sized companies (Virginia Power, Dominion Telecom) to big boys (think like ATT, Qwest, Adelphia).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Reverse question: What are recommended ways to identify and use a headhunter? If you were looking for a job, how would you pick a headhunter out of the thousands out there?

Is a head hunter the same thing as a recruiter?

I see lots of recruiters on Linked In.

Also, how can a headhunter help someone get a job with a big company if the applicant has already applied on that company's website? Do headhunters have "in"s with people in big companies? Do big companies work with headhunters? Or, it seems like, the big companies have their own process to identify candidates who apply for interviews (key words, etc).
How it used to work-- if you had already applied for the company on your own-- my contract with the company went nowhere. I.e. I couldn't place you there-- you had already applied. In some cases if I thought the person was really pretty incredible I would bring it up to them (but generally those were in cases where I knew that the hiring manager or HR would give me a new job to work as a thank you for bringing up a missed diamond in their resume pool. When I did that it was because I had a strong, solid relationship with my client and a give here was not going to hurt my bottom line and was good for karma.

NOW-- if the candidate applied to the company behind my back after I told them who the company was (as I stated in another post it was not in my best interests to not be completely honest) then that would be okay-- because I could prove when I made contact, discussed the position, etc. Generally speaking though- if you were that type of person who thought they could just do it on their own and then use my info and try to apply yourself, I would not really pursue working with you-- and quite frankly most of my clients that I worked for frequently-- would not either because it just had a seedy feel to it.

I enjoyed recruiting when I did (before 9/11). I loved the hiring managers I worked with over and over (usually Sr level management who had the responsibility of hiring across multiple states). When another job I went to and the company folded, I used that network to get a job at one of my former clients.

For your other question-- my big clients that used my services used me primarily for very hard to fill positions (senior level leadership, critical replacement in a dysfunctional department i.e. issues with the current team, leadership, need for help in reviving a dying area, etc).

Those hard to fill positions could be grueling-- but generally speaking they didn't use me for 90% of their other types of positions since the large companies generally have somewhat competent technology and resources to recruit on their own.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:00 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,908,339 times
why does it have to be either/or? Do both.

The headhunter is only going to be able to negotiate certain positions for you. They won't represent you in every job opening. So let them go after some jobs on your behalf, and you can go after others on your own. Headhunters generally only handle pretty high level managerial positions. They aren't filling your average rank-and-file positions. And typically they are positions that require a pretty unique set of skills.

The headhunter's commission will come out of your salary, so it IS costing you. It's just not a separate direct cost. That is, if the company can pay up to 100k, and you are hired through a headhunter that charges 10%, then the headhunter won't be able to negotiate a salary of more than 90k. If you approached them on your own you could've taken the full 100k home yourself (assuming you could get as far as negotiation on your own, which is the 'if' the headhunter is assuming you can't do).

Old 01-30-2011, 12:42 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post

The headhunter's commission will come out of your salary, so it IS costing you. It's just not a separate direct cost. That is, if the company can pay up to 100k, and you are hired through a headhunter that charges 10%, then the headhunter won't be able to negotiate a salary of more than 90k. If you approached them on your own you could've taken the full 100k home yourself (assuming you could get as far as negotiation on your own, which is the 'if' the headhunter is assuming you can't do).
I don't agree with this. I can tell you that when we hire we don't put any consideration in to the salary offered on if a fee is being paid to a recruiter/headhunter. It is a one time cost that is already accounted for.

Old 01-30-2011, 05:42 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,524,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
why does it have to be either/or? Do both.

That is exactly what I stated in another related thread. My friend found out about this and retracted his acceptance of the job offer. He went to work for the competition of that particular firm.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I don't agree with this. I can tell you that when we hire we don't put any consideration in to the salary offered on if a fee is being paid to a recruiter/headhunter. It is a one time cost that is already accounted for.
That would be my experience as well.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:55 PM

1,446 posts, read 3,551,900 times
What kind of job candidates do headhunters work with?

Old 01-30-2011, 07:01 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,027,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3littlepigs View Post
Has anyone here worked with and been successful in finding a good job with a headhunter? I got the number of one from a friend today. She said he got her in for an interview, negotiated a higher salary and the company paid him a percentage of her yearly salary for finding her (so no cost to her), so the bigger her salary the more he made. Do you think employers would find being "represented" as a plus or minus? I need opinions before I make the call. My friend is swearing he'll do as good of a job for me as he has for her.
A headhunter found my first job in the US and when I wanted to switch to another industry she was able to get me interviews with companies I hadn't even known were considering hiring (I backed out when I had to move suddenly for personal reasons). She was very well connected in her field.

It all depends on the headhunter and the industry. Certainly can't hurt and if your friend was helped then it seems this one can deliver. Definitely give him a call. They can also prep you for interviews so that you know what the "acceptable" answers are - sometimes it can be very surprising how canned the expected responses actually are.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:52 PM

935 posts, read 2,411,762 times
I have a friend who used a headhunter and found a higher paying job in her career field. They're not the same as recruiters. If you can get in touch with one then I say it's worth a shot, especially if you meet the higher qualifications.

Old 02-01-2011, 02:03 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
My H used headhunters with great success. Several times. They did all the work and he got the job. Worked out great for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment