Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2011, 05:51 PM

161 posts, read 390,022 times

Advertisements

I have a few job scenarios I'm in the middle of, but these are my biggest two.

Last week [Thursday] I sent my resume and cover letter via email for a receptionist position with our local professional baseball team. They requested no phone calls, so I followed up via email & last Friday at 430pm she said they would review my resume and qualifications and call if they wanted to interview. So, I assumed that meant the position wasn't filled, even though the time frame was January 2011. Yesterday [Tuesday Feb 1st] the ad was taken down. Is it possible they already hired someone or is it safe to say they are now reviewing resumes? And, would I be too annoying & pushy if I followed up by email Friday morning?

My second job I applied to via a 3rd party website was for our local NBA team. This was just posted this past Monday. I sent my stuff in. Today, I called the employment line and since I didn't know what to do, left a message since the recording said an HR rep would call me back. Then, I found the director of HR and left her a message on her personal machine. I just want to see if they even got my resume/information. Is it really bad to call them again at the end of the week?

People obviously get jobs with big organizations somehow, but this is my first real experience with major companies & I just want to try and do everything right. If I don't get the job in the end, then I don't, but I at least want to have tried everything. Even getting an interview would be a huge step for me, but I obviously don't want to come off as annoying.

I'm still applying to other jobs in hope to keep all my options open. But when these two would be huge for me, I'd like to try everything before I give up. Any advice from someone who's been there would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 08:22 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,186,791 times
In the first scenerio she specifically said "WE will call YOU if we want to schedule an interview." That's blatantly "Don't call us - we'll call you."

In the second scenerio you left messages in two places so, at this point yes, it would probably be too much to call and just keep leaving messages each time. If you actually were able to talk to someone that may be different, but to keep leaving messages is futile at this point.

Many times you will get a letter of thanks but no thanks but just as many places will send nothing. There's no obligation on their part to let you know.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:35 PM

161 posts, read 390,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
In the first scenerio she specifically said "WE will call YOU if we want to schedule an interview." That's blatantly "Don't call us - we'll call you."

In the second scenerio you left messages in two places so, at this point yes, it would probably be too much to call and just keep leaving messages each time. If you actually were able to talk to someone that may be different, but to keep leaving messages is futile at this point.

So, would you say I shouldn't email Friday & just give up hope if I don't get a phone call by the end of the week? That's what I was leaning towards.

As for the second, calling the employment hotline will never get me to a person. But if I were to try the director of HR on Friday again & she answered that'd be fine? I would definitely not leave a bunch of messages. My goal is certainly to talk to someone!

Old 02-02-2011, 08:44 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,186,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindlyunspoken23 View Post
So, would you say I shouldn't email Friday & just give up hope if I don't get a phone call by the end of the week? That's what I was leaning towards.
I'm simply basing my answers on what you have described and from what you posted they told you - no I wouldn't do anything. They basically told you not to. Don't contact us - WE will contact you.

Quote:
As for the second, calling the employment hotline will never get me to a person. But if I were to try the director of HR on Friday again & she answered that'd be fine? I would definitely not leave a bunch of messages. My goal is certainly to talk to someone!
So, don't call the hotline since you know that's a dead end and if you continue to call the HR director your telephone number will come up on a caller ID every time you do so, just use good judgement with this.

Typically HR will set up the notices for the opening and collect the resumes, but then they go to someone else - the person you would actually work for to be reviewed by them so the larger the organization the more time it may take.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:26 PM

2,382 posts, read 4,591,739 times
Quote:
Last week [Thursday] I sent my resume and cover letter via email for a receptionist position with our local professional baseball team. They requested no phone calls, so I followed up via email & last Friday at 430pm she said they would review my resume and qualifications and call if they wanted to interview. So, I assumed that meant the position wasn't filled, even though the time frame was January 2011. Yesterday [Tuesday Feb 1st] the ad was taken down. Is it possible they already hired someone or is it safe to say they are now reviewing resumes? And, would I be too annoying & pushy if I followed up by email Friday morning?
More than likely they are in the process of reviewing resumes; this can take awhile if they received a lot of them. As Thursday suggested, probably best not to contact again as they've already said they'd get in touch if interested.
Quote:
My second job I applied to via a 3rd party website was for our local NBA team. This was just posted this past Monday. I sent my stuff in. Today, I called the employment line and since I didn't know what to do, left a message since the recording said an HR rep would call me back. Then, I found the director of HR and left her a message on her personal machine. I just want to see if they even got my resume/information. Is it really bad to call them again at the end of the week?
When you applied via a third party website, do you know if it was an HR-related service? The reason I ask is because if they are using a service to collect the applications and/or hire, then you will want to tread lightly when thinking about contacting the organization directly. There's a reason they're using the service.

Good luck in your job search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment