Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 12:57 PM

23 posts, read 60,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
I would tell them I can't give you that info and why are you asking for it now after I already did my taxes?? It's 2009, NO, I won't give it to you or something to that affect.

How is unemployment or the feds gonna know it was you, unless they decide to audit your bank statements or something?
Is that really true?

Last edited by FloridaEagle; 02-09-2011 at 01:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 01:05 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,337,447 times
If your desperate for money why not get 4 or 5 more jobs that pay $8,000. Wouldn't that cover you?

Old 02-09-2011, 01:17 PM

mathematically yes. Believe me, if i could I would.

Old 02-09-2011, 01:19 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,079,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke
Believe me you will be charged with
violating the law, not with telling a lie.
I didn't say he would be charged with telling a lie.
You said:
Quote:
... is not being dishonest ...
Just because he won't be punished for being dishonest, does not mean that he was not dishonest. Those are two different things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220
How is unemployment or the feds gonna know it was you,
unless they decide to audit your bank statements or something?
If the IRS gets a 1099 and cannot match it to a tax return filed using that SSN, they will automatically send you a bill for an amount that they will "assume" you owe. It will then be your problem to prove you don't owe it.

No person has to do anything. It will be found by a computer, the computer will generate a letter and it will be mailed - all without human intervention.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaEagle
How would they know it was me if i dont give up the SSN?
If you supply a fake SSN or the SSN of someone else, it could possibly just get lost in the shuffle as far as you're concerned.

If you were to, say, use my SSN then it would be my problem to prove that I didn't get that $6k from that client.

The thing is; the 1099 will also have your name on it.

If you have decided that you will not attempt to make restitution, then I would fake the SSN and "kick the can down the road." You might get off. I don't know your whole situation. Maybe it's worth the risk.

If you get caught, then it will cost you more at that time. Interest and penalties from the IRS can be really punative. It's possible to turn $6,000 into a $20,000 obligation - TO THE IRS.

Old 02-09-2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
You did what many do, you're not unique in doing so, but you're one of those who might get caught.
why?

Old 02-09-2011, 01:54 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,025,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
$6k is "about" 20 weeks of payments in most circumstances.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
If your desperate for money why not get 4 or 5 more jobs that pay $8,000. Wouldn't that cover you?
We're not really talking about 8k here. He will either have to pay back 6 weeks of unemployment (if he's lucky) or all of the unemployment he received since the first 1099 check. If he's making 500 per week, he will either pay 3k ($500 x the 6 weeks he received income) or 26k for an entire year of unemployment (approximate depending on how many weeks he collected from the day he received the first 1099 check).

Old 02-09-2011, 02:24 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,686,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaEagle View Post
why?
My apologies for shouting but BECAUSE YOU'VE BEEN ASKED TO PROVE YOUR STATUS AS AN INDEPENDENT CONTRACTOR/PROVIDER TO A COMPANY TO WHO YOU PROVIDED SERVICES AND WHICH COMPANY PREFERS TO DO THINGS LEGALLY. Again sorry for shouting but if you haven't "got it" yet you probably won't, so let the chips fall where they may.

Old 02-09-2011, 02:49 PM

2,382 posts, read 4,590,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
I would tell them I can't give you that info and why are you asking for it now after I already did my taxes?? It's 2009, NO, I won't give it to you or something to that affect.
(a) They will issue the 1099, regardless of whether or not they have his SSN
(b) Tax returns can be amended for 3 years; if he files his tax return and receives something after that, he is obligated to amend it. "I didn't have it, you're too late - so there!" isn't going to fly.

Being uncooperative seems a foolish way to be, all things considered.

Old 02-09-2011, 02:53 PM

Im just considering all possibilities.

Old 02-09-2011, 02:56 PM

2,382 posts, read 4,590,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaEagle View Post
Im just considering all possibilities.
You really should talk to a professional about your possibilities. All of us here can provide you with bits and pieces of info, as well as our opinions of what (we think) you should do...but a professional is ultimately the one who can advise you the best. Make an appointment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment