Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 12:36 AM
JS1 JS1 started this thread

1,896 posts, read 6,768,937 times

Advertisements

... is that job applications don't have health questions like they used to in the 1980's or 70's.

I never filled out an application with all those personal questions, but I used to have a job reading old HR files, and it was kinda funny reading some of the questions, like:

Are you married?
Do you plan to have children?
Height
Weight
describe current health condition:
please enclose copy of company doctor's report
etc.

That crap doesn't exist any more for the few jobs that are available today!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 06:53 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Now (maybe then), they want your race, specifically if you are or are not Latino, and they want your gender.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:07 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
The race and gender are collected seperately for government reporting to make sure they aren't discriminating.

I recently came across an old resume of my dad's, circa 1972 or so. It included his photo, height and weight, marital status and number of kids, religion, and the statement "in good health."

How times have changed!

Old 02-16-2011, 11:51 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
I can remember being asked if I was pregnant or planning on becoming pregnant.

BUT, things really haven't changed. Now they don't ask you these questions to your face. They just do a back round investigation and get all this info anyway. Only you don't get to respond and add your own spin on things. Just the information they can get on the net is more invasive for most of us that the face to face questions ever were.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I can remember being asked if I was pregnant or planning on becoming pregnant.

BUT, things really haven't changed. Now they don't ask you these questions to your face. They just do a back round investigation and get all this info anyway. Only you don't get to respond and add your own spin on things. Just the information they can get on the net is more invasive for most of us that the face to face questions ever were.
I disagree. It is almost impossible, not to mention illegal (violation of HIPPA), for a potential employer to get your blood pressure.

Very few employers are going to spend a lot of time or money trying to get answers to personal questions. How could they possibly know if you were planning to become pregnant without asking you directly or you simply stating it on your job application? Facebook? lol

Old 02-16-2011, 01:10 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
I disagree. It is almost impossible, not to mention illegal (violation of HIPPA), for a potential employer to get your blood pressure.

Very few employers are going to spend a lot of time or money trying to get answers to personal questions. How could they possibly know if you were planning to become pregnant without asking you directly or you simply stating it on your job application? Facebook? lol
I didn't say they could get your blood pressure. At least I don't think I did.

It's amazing what they can get easily. Lots of health info is on your credit report. If you or someone in your family has experienced a major illness, chances are all the bills weren't paid on time. And there they are for all the world to see, on your credit report. If you or a dependent has a serious illness, you won't get the job because of insurance issues. That credit report actually gives a prospective employer a lot of insight into your private life. Medical chargeoffs or lates are a huge clue. If one of those lates is from a fertility clinic, I guess they would assume I am trying to get PG and their insurance would be paying for the child.

Next, they can check google maps and get a picture of your house. Is it well maintained and kept up to neighborhood standards. Is your yard work done? Zillow will tell them how much you paid for the house and when you bought it. If you live with your mom and think it's none of their business, think again. Then you can check tax records too. Oh, and your mortgage info is probably on that credit check. And it's no problem at all to get all the info on your neighbors. It's not hard to check on police activity in your area. Made any calls to 911 or complained about a neighbor with a loud party? It's all there on a database.

Many years ago, in the dark ages before the internet, I worked as a skip tracer. My job was to find people who ducked out on bills and I was good at it. They used to call me 'Bird Dog'. I have also been a police officer and worked in an investigative capacity. I dug up a lot of dirt before the internet and it's only gotten easier. What I know is just the tip of the iceberg. I don't do this type of work anymore so my skills are old. I can only imagine what all is available now would be a bonanza gold.

None of this takes a lot of time or money to find out. You have to remember what they do with this data is all subjective. All they are looking for is a reason not to hire you. And you will never know why you didn't get the job. All of us have things we would prefer a prospective employer not know.

What if I was paying for my sister to have that fertility treatment? What if it was her child that was sick and ran up bills? What if I live with my elderly mom to take care of her? I think I liked it better when they had to just ask. Today, the computer gives them all the answers and they get to make up the questions.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:33 PM

That's paranoia. No one does all that stuff except for something like the FBI or CIA. I'm talking about job applications for factory worker, floor supervisor, sales, etc.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:54 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
I do google the names & email address of people I'm seriously interested in hiring, and I also look to see if they've got a Facebook or Myspace site. I've had a couple of times where I found photos of the applicant smoking weed or bent over a toilet after a bender, I immediately decided that I wasn't going to hire them. They obviously lack good judgement for putting photos like that online, and I don't want to hire someone with no common sense.

I don't care if someone has photos of them with a beer in their hand, that's totally different than being passed out drunk with your "friends" writing all over your face with a Sharpie.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:37 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,524,257 times
So if a white person is standing next to a black friend on a Facebook pic and the hiring person hates blacks, they can refuse to hire the white applicant because of something on Facebook. Nice..
Welcome to the New World Order. I don't have a "Facebook" or "Myspace". My privacy is my business and so are my photos, etc.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:43 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,107,107 times
On many applications for trucking jobs, they have questions about height and weight in regards to sleep-apnea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment