Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2011, 04:51 PM

433 posts, read 1,370,647 times

Advertisements

I got called for a job offer a few weeks ago for a dishwasher position. I wasn't called in for an interview, the manager just asked me on the phone what my previous dishwasher experience was. I told him and he explained to me that they were looking for a dishwasher for 2-3 nights a week. He asked me to come in for my first shift the next day, and I did.

Then he said he'll give me one night a week at first and give me more shifts later on. I accepted. Yesterday as I was leaving the house to go to work for my third shift (which was also the third week), he calls me on the phone and says there's a shortage of work so they had to cut off a few employees for the night.
Of course I was really pissed, didn't show it on the phone though.

So now I'm thinking I should find a new job to replace this one since it looks like I'll barely be working there. Imean, the boss never even asked me why I left my last job. Does this sound like even a permanent position? And what's with changing his mind to giving me one night a week only?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 05:35 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,382,420 times
I worked in restaurants for many years - and I saw dishwashers get hired right off the street, without even filling out an application. It's not uncommon.

As for whether it's a permanent position or not, I think the attitude is that no one wants to wash dishes forever, so sometimes they treat dishwashers different than the rest of the staff...

If you have other options, then yeah you should take them! But if you're around next week, and have nothing to do, and feel like washing dishes, then why not show up? Even if they don't think of you as permanent, there's no reason you can't do a great job, and change their minds!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment