Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 01:04 AM

115 posts, read 567,819 times

Advertisements

I only make $36.000-$37,000 a year. It has health benefits also. I kind of feel sad because I do not make a lot of money. I have a college degree, bachelors but could not find a job with it so I went to trade school for a year in a half to learn a trade.

What do you think? I have a roomate so rent does not cost that much and every month I am saving some money, not a lot but it is some. I watch how I spend my money carefully.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 01:12 AM

97 posts, read 320,660 times
From a wikipedia of Oakland, CA:

In 2008 the median income for a household in the city was $48,596 and the median income for a family was $55,949. Males had a median income of $46,383 versus $44,690 for females.

I would definitely consider $36k a year to be above poor, since you are able to save some money each month. Not sure if it hits middle class though, since I'm pretty sure the cost of living in Oakland is high compared to most of the country.

Old 03-06-2011, 01:33 AM

10,833 posts, read 14,927,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinamen View Post
I only make $36.000-$37,000 a year. It has health benefits also. I kind of feel sad because I do not make a lot of money. I have a college degree, bachelors but could not find a job with it so I went to trade school for a year in a half to learn a trade.

What do you think? I have a roomate so rent does not cost that much and every month I am saving some money, not a lot but it is some. I watch how I spend my money carefully.
Whenever someone says "trade school" I immediately think of building trades.

If it is building trades you're most likely an apprentice and with a year and a half you are most likely receiving about 60% of journeyman's wages which indicates journeymen in your trade earn slightly more than $30/hr or $60k.

You just got to stick it out is all.

Good health benefits can easily be worth $800/month and seeing as how they are tax free this job is equal to earning $45k and paying your own.

Now to the really important stuff. The only thing that really matters. Do you like the work?

I am the luckiest man on City Data. I love my job and love what I do. I actually look forward to Monday mornings and hump day doesn't mean anything to me. If you feel this way about your job then you have the best job in the world.

Old 03-06-2011, 05:00 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
I think that is working class poor. You can make it on that wage, but not support a family on that. I don't see how you can afford a home on that salary.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:05 AM

3,337 posts, read 7,117,533 times
In Jacksonville and most major metros in the South, that's considered middle-class but anywhere else, forget it. A home on that salary will net you in the ghetto mostly everywhere else.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:35 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,899,264 times
I agree with what is said above. It's fine if you're young and just starting your career--living with roommates and watching your pennies, you'll be able to get by. But I don't think you'd be able to feed a family, nor buy a home.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:43 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
It entirely depends on the cost of living in the area you live in. It's a decent wage in many areas, poverty level in some, and a nice living in still others. Your area is expensive, but if you are living in East Bay you can live pretty comfortably as a single on that and still save enough to eventually buy a modest home.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:21 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinamen View Post

And what would you do if you made a lot more money? Spend it on a new car or stylish clothes? Would you go out to expensive restaurants? Do you think that making more money will get you girlfriends?

In this economy, be very happy that you have a job that pays that well. Be sensible with your money and work hard at your job. Keep an open mind and look out for other career opportunities. But don't be sad and stop thinking about what you don't have.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:47 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times
It is a modest salary but perfectly acceptable for a single person. You just have to be careful and conservative about spending. I would say it is in the lowish side of middle class for a single person in my area.....certainly not poor. For Oakland or anywhere in the Bay area, the big challenge is housing cost. You have overcome much of that issue by sharing those expenses with a roommate. In many parts of the country you could live the same life w/o a roommate on that income.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:48 AM

1,568 posts, read 3,226,019 times
If you are not married, no kids, and not drowning in debt--I would call it working class poor. If you add in the all other aforementioned items...you are poor--end of story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment