Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2012, 07:08 AM

763 posts, read 2,605,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleblanc138 View Post
From a wikipedia of Oakland, CA:

In 2008 the median income for a household in the city was $48,596 and the median income for a family was $55,949. Males had a median income of $46,383 versus $44,690 for females.

I would definitely consider $36k a year to be above poor, since you are able to save some money each month. Not sure if it hits middle class though, since I'm pretty sure the cost of living in Oakland is high compared to most of the country.
True. $37k, $38k would be a nice living salary in many areas of the country, but cost of living really dictates what median salaries are in most cities. When I see Exec Admin jobs in NYC, LA and even ATL in the $70's and $80's, it makes me want to move there, but then I realize the cost of living there is way more than where I live now, so I wouldn't be doing myself any favors!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 08:51 AM

691 posts, read 771,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinamen View Post
I only make $36.000-$37,000 a year. It has health benefits also. I kind of feel sad because I do not make a lot of money. I have a college degree, bachelors but could not find a job with it so I went to trade school for a year in a half to learn a trade.

What do you think? I have a roomate so rent does not cost that much and every month I am saving some money, not a lot but it is some. I watch how I spend my money carefully.

That is dirt poor. The benefits from the government for doing nothing total more than $45K.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:52 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
on the low end i would say, but for 55% of americans who dont work, its all a bunch of numbers.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:24 AM

77 posts, read 187,819 times
that would be very poor for me. I'm 23 and I make about 5-8,000 dollars a month working in sales. I couldn't imagine on living on much less than that (but then again I have a brand new car, am getting a house, enjoy eating food like steaks, enjoy going out, etc...)

I think you need to make about 50-60K to live reasonably well in most areas and 70-80K to live comfortably

Old 01-01-2013, 09:08 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,498,749 times
I still think its all relative. And location matters more than anything. I was watching house hunters last night ( I know, on New Years Eve ), and one couple was looking for a house in Orange County, Ca. Their budget was between 600,000 and 700,000 dollars in a decent neighborhood. Ridiculous what kind of house you get in OC for that kind of money. One of the houses they showed, looked like it had not been remodeled for 30 years. I don't know how people can afford to live over there. Is everybody rich? I know they are not..but considering what you get for 600k...what will 300k get you? Let alone, people who makes 50k a year, how do they even survive in Socal unless they want to live in the ghetto?

As far as the OP goes, 37k in most places is ok. As long as you are not buried in debt.

Last edited by glass_of_merlot; 01-01-2013 at 09:17 AM..

Old 04-16-2013, 06:04 AM

1 posts, read 2,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
You can't afford a car and an apartment with that salary in Philadelphia
LIES! Philly Is Dirt Cheap. West Philly Probably The Most. With A Salary That High Why The Hell Would You Live Where No One Even Has A Salary

Old 04-16-2013, 07:18 AM

538 posts, read 1,013,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelStraker View Post
That is dirt poor. The benefits from the government for doing nothing total more than $45K.
Depends on where you live. I'm 27 and I bring in $38k. I own my house, my truck, 3 acres of land with 2 horses, take me and my father out to eat at least once a week for seafood or steaks and I put money away in savings each week.

I have $400.00 on my CC and that's all the debt I have.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:19 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,072,805 times
It entirely comes down to location. IN NYC or San Francisco you'd be paying your bills but not much else, and most likely in a roommate situation.

In parts of the Southeast and Midwest it would be a comfortable life for a single person.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:32 PM

299 posts, read 557,507 times
Wow... this question has been discussed for over a year now, I see (looked back at the original post). Crazy.... but I'm going to add my comment anyway because it's something I've been thinking a lot about lately myself.

By far, the biggest factor, I think, is whether or not you've got a family with kids. Like pentatonic said above, $38K would be a perfectly good salary in many parts of the country for a younger, single guy who doesn't make the mistake of borrowing too much in loans or on credit cards.

But wow .... Once you've got kids, it's amazing how much more money it takes to keep things together. I'm in my early 40's and have a family of 5 (wife and 3 kids). My wife works full time, usually making in the neighborhood of $45K/year depending on the job, and I'm generally earning slightly more. But honestly, I lived better as a single guy on about $38K than I do today.

It's not even the things everyone warns you about that wind up getting you. (By that, I mean everyone warned me how much it was going to cost for clothes, school supplies, etc. etc.) That all factors in but that's the stuff you always think, "Eh... I'll find a way to afford it." when you first have kids.

But no... at least for us, it's everything else. Say you want to go out for dinner on a Friday or Sat. night? When it was just you and your significant other, you could go to your typical sit-down restaurant of choice and probably spend $15 or so each for an entre, and add a few bucks each for drinks ... So even after the tip and if you got an appetizer to share, you might be around the $50 range. Well, add 3 kids, at least one of whom inevitably refuses to eat anything on the "kid's menu" ... and all of a sudden, you're looking at more like $80 before the tip!

Take them shopping whether you're at the drug store to grab a prescription or at Target for some new pairs of socks? Yeah, you're not getting out of that without spending at least another unplanned $30-60 on *something* they remind you they need or they're out of. Same with the grocery shopping -- on TOP of all the extra money you're already spending to feed the whole group. The kids are going to find 10 more items they want to take for school lunches or whatever.

Actually want a peaceful evening alone? Now you're really out some money for babysitting (whatever the hourly rate is x3 or so for all 3 kids at once), plus whatever you were going to spend on whatever you're going out to actually do.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:40 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,748,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinamen View Post
I only make $36.000-$37,000 a year. It has health benefits also. I kind of feel sad because I do not make a lot of money. I have a college degree, bachelors but could not find a job with it so I went to trade school for a year in a half to learn a trade.

What do you think? I have a roomate so rent does not cost that much and every month I am saving some money, not a lot but it is some. I watch how I spend my money carefully.
In Oakland, CA? No.

In Atlanta, GA? Possibly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment