Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 09:35 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,481,746 times

Advertisements

I think these words of wisdom from Stephen Fry can be applied to this thread and the past Silenthelp thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgGxk8xFgAE&feature

Old 03-23-2011, 04:33 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,162,988 times
Countdown to thread shutdown in 10...9...8...

Old 03-23-2011, 11:22 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silenthelp View Post
Anyone here have info on Americorps? I'm 20. Most of you know I have a G.E.D. Know anybody who got involved in it? Thinking about signing up. Maybe I'll have better options for a path to getting a job. Not necessarily, but still volunteering/experience for building a resume. Or if there are any other similar programs. Thank You.

BTW, if you're just going to insult me and cuss me out, please stay out of this thread.
A friend of mine did it, but she was older than you are at the time (early 30's). She went to Kentucky for two years. First she taught illiterate adults to read, but she became discouraged after a year because all but one were only there as a condition of their welfare check and had no real interest in learning anything. One man did graduate, though. So, she switched over to a program where they fixed up houses in the area, repairing roofs and things like that. She went back to school after that.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:08 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
A friend of mine did it, but she was older than you are at the time (early 30's). She went to Kentucky for two years. First she taught illiterate adults to read, but she became discouraged after a year because all but one were only there as a condition of their welfare check and had no real interest in learning anything. One man did graduate, though. So, she switched over to a program where they fixed up houses in the area, repairing roofs and things like that. She went back to school after that.
The OP has demonstrated via this and his other thread that whatever advice given to him where employment is concerned simply does not apply to him. Whatever words of encouragement are directed to him by well-meaning posters fall on completely deaf ears and out of the realm of even sign language. He remains convinced that he is not a problem where employment is concerned but that there is a conspiracy afoot by even employers offering entry level positions who allegedly require a college degree from a janitorial candidate. You can talk reason to him until the cows come home but I fear the cause is useless.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:56 PM

60 posts, read 112,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Quit the entitlement line...no one owes anyone a job. Plenty of people your age ARE meaningfully and gainfully employed. A masters degree is just a piece of paper. Mabe *mericorps would benefit you, because employment is 90 percent knowing how to get along with others in a professional environment. If you can't do that, it does not matter what your degree is in...so sick of the cry babies around here...there are jobs out there, just not ones you want, or feel like doing...or maybe there ARE some reasons why YOU are not employed...t
Where are all the available menial jobs then? That's what I'm looking for. If there are jobs out there, how come they haven't contacted me back? I've been filling out applications for months, where 97% of places you have to apply online and no other way. "Just not the ones you want". Yeah there ya go with that same old assumption that some of us refuse to do fast food work when I actually applied to mcdonalds and burger king 2 months ago and never got even a simple ackowledgement from them. There is something going on, and it's not me. I do what I'm supposed to do, which is do applications, online, as instructed, for the most menial jobs, and I haven't even gotten even an interview, or one of those robotic "you don't fit our qualifications" things.

Old 03-23-2011, 03:01 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
I am still waiting for your 10 job contact log for today...

Old 03-23-2011, 03:14 PM

60 posts, read 112,131 times
It's like everybody's forgotten what "entry level" means. Like on monster, if you filter down to high school, experience:none it still says applicants need 2-5 years experience, and all that jazz. Alot of you I suspect are living in the past, where a person only needed to walk to some mom and pop store, and say you want to work there, and get an A-ok from the owner. No experience, nothing needed. And it's like you're just using how things were in the past to tell me I'm doing it wrong. Yeah right. I tried to apply for a dishwashing job at friendys, and on the online application it said I needed 3 references, and 3 previous employers, and I couldn't complete it so I exited it out. Another thing I noticed is alot of places aren't looking for crew members, only managers. Which are off-limits to me. And even if I fill out online applications, they don't get back to me. I was told lots of different reasons. Like they don't even look at them, or they just aren't hiring, or I get filtered out by the quizzes because they are afraid of people with certain personalities, or medical reasons suing them for discrimination so they can get around it. That's ridiculous.

Old 03-23-2011, 03:27 PM

Back to the sandbox, child, and while thumping those pails around, work on absorbing the fact that YOU are the problem, not the world in general.

Old 03-23-2011, 03:53 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,973,942 times
You sound like my brother. He is a victim of his own personality, his own actions, his own decisions, his own world view.

I try to tell him every day what he needs to start doing to increase his chances at getting a job, and initially he will listen, but he gets down on his luck and reverts back to the things that were hurting him in the first place. I really do think it's a maturity thing. Eventually, through your experiences, you will come to the same realization that we are all trying to make clear to you. You need to change yourself. Don't look at it as selling out, but rather buying in.

Old 03-23-2011, 04:34 PM

I'm not sure that anyone was wondering but the information may be extremely helpful to some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment