Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which job location do you think would be best?
fort worth, texas 17 51.52%
cleveland/canton/akron 7 21.21%
san jose, ca 9 27.27%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 07:23 AM

130 posts, read 207,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Monterey has high crime? Since when?? Seriously, it's a really nice town, and not that isolated... you can get to Santa Cruz & San Jose in about an hour, and Salinas (kinda ghetto but a larger town) is a short drive away.
that's good to hear. i was reading about gangs and violent crimes in seaside, salinas...

Quote:
San Jose would be better in that sense, however, especially if you're closer to Sunnyvale & Santa Clara. Those towns have such a strong Asian presence, you'll even find neighborhoods where all the signage is in Chinese, Vietnamese, Korean, etc. Can ask what nationality you are?
i'm korean. korean-american. =)

Quote:
I'm moving to SJ tomorrow, so I'll let you know... LOL. But even though I don't live there yet, I am very familiar with the area, and it's pretty darned nice. I'll miss San Francisco, which is so much more of a "big city" (despite its smaller population), but SJ still has everything you'll want and need. The weather is nearly perfect, shopping is insanely plentiful, public transportation is decent, and there are tons of outdoor & cultural activities nearby. The people are generally nice, I believe, but I guess it depends on your specific neighborhood. Diversity is also pretty good, although you'll find the Hispanic & Asian cultures are most visible. I'm looking forward to my move, and think you would also be pretty happy there!
any neighborhoods you recommend i search for apartments? what do you think would be a reasonable estimate to pay for a single bedroom/studio? what if i had roommates, which i hope i don't have to do, either? trying to estimate my budget..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Good luck. I think California is a mistake. I hope it works out for you.
that's weird. i don't know why someone would just send me a direct personal message like this instead of posting it on the forum. i don't know. maybe it is a mistake. of course, deep down i'm afraid it is, too. i haven't decided what to choose, so hearing ppl out helps me sort out my thoughts. let me know why you think it is a mistake, and which option you think would be best. thanks~

i've always geared myself toward the goal of moving to CA. doing a rotation there, networking. if i don't go now, i may lose the opportunity. i'm lucky that my preceptor gave me a good recommendation, and if i wait a few years down the line, i may not have the chance. do i really, really want to move 36 hours away to a dream that may be illusory? i question that myself.

i am afraid i may not like it or will regret it for whatever reason. i mean, i didn't love SF when i was there, either, but i was not accustomed to the city and its expenses, and i was only there for a month, so maybe i would've adapted eventually.

actually, i don't think i can handle san jose financially for the long term. for the short term, i think i'll be fine. do i want to go somewhere for a temporary stint? does san jose offer my long term goals of just wanting to settle down and have a family? no, not really. it may be a waste. and i feel that i'll be stressed living there perhaps....not sure which place i'll actually be able to find someone, though. who knows where or if that will ever happen. just financially, san jose is not the best place to settle down.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:02 AM

i could maybe stick around for another year and wait for something i'm really willing to move for...
it's not a good time for me to abandon my family anyway... but who knows if i'd even be considered by the places that hired me again? maybe i'll burn bridges by declining. =/ and i feel so ready to move right now that i'm graduating....

Old 03-19-2011, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
If you can't find a job in Canton/Celevland, look in PIttsburgh because the economy is strong there. Canton are Cleveland are only two hours away if you live in the northern suburbs of Pittsburgh. It will be easy to see your friends in Ohio.
i don't think i want to live in pittsburgh. i like the city okay, but i feel this strange loyalty to ohio. i even got a job in michigan that i turned down, and i probably would've liked living in ann arbor vs. cleveland ! i'm weird. also, it's hard to take advice from ppl who's biased towards their own state. ppl in texas are extremely pro-texas (why is this?) and ppl in california seem to be pro-california, but less so than those who are texans are for their state. anyone out there who are transplants with an opinion?

Old 03-19-2011, 08:45 AM

3,573 posts, read 6,474,681 times
Move to CA! Don't hesitate. Think of it as an adventure and isn't life an adventure? I've moved around and even though some places I thought I'd love, turned out not so great. BUT I learned and I won't sit back when I'm older and wish that I had done something differently.

Even if San Jose isn't the place for you, another place in CA could be OR going to TX when the time is right would be the right place.

Your parents and friends can come visit you and maybe your parents might move close to you in your new area when you settle.

Have fun, don't overthink and be flexible. Good luck with your new adventure!

Old 03-19-2011, 08:47 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Liberal ;that sounds like California is down your alley.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:21 AM

207 posts, read 501,167 times
What field are you getting into? Obviously if you are looking to get into tech San Jose is a good bet. Also, a very Asian area, which you said you want. Texas' economy is pretty solid everywhere.

I would personally pick Ft. Worth of those three, but I honestly think that San Jose has a better chance of being better for you. I would stay out of NE Ohio, that's near to my neck of the woods, and it's a horrible economy. A good rule of thumb is don't move into an area where the population is in steady decline.

Now those 3 areas are very far apart. Where are you, and how do you plan on finding a job so far away? I am in a very in demand field, and even I had trouble getting interviews more than a few hundred miles away. Getting a job out of state is certainly far from easy.

Old 03-20-2011, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_Someday View Post
What field are you getting into? Obviously if you are looking to get into tech San Jose is a good bet. Also, a very Asian area, which you said you want. Texas' economy is pretty solid everywhere.
nope, not tech. healthcare-pharmacy. yeah, not sure if Texas has pharmaceutical companies, though.

Quote:
I would personally pick Ft. Worth of those three, but I honestly think that San Jose has a better chance of being better for you.
what makes you pick fort worth?

Quote:
Now those 3 areas are very far apart. Where are you, and how do you plan on finding a job so far away? I am in a very in demand field, and even I had trouble getting interviews more than a few hundred miles away. Getting a job out of state is certainly far from easy.
i'm in cleveland. i'm not planning; i actually do have a job offer in these 3 places...networking, borderline harrassing/showing interest, researching companies and places, applying and not hearing back. it's very discouraging, but you just have to keep trying. good luck! =) i've been searching for ~7 months and still don't feel i found the ideal job, but time is running out til graduation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donie1 View Post
Move to CA! Don't hesitate. Think of it as an adventure and isn't life an adventure? I've moved around and even though some places I thought I'd love, turned out not so great. BUT I learned and I won't sit back when I'm older and wish that I had done something differently.

Even if San Jose isn't the place for you, another place in CA could be OR going to TX when the time is right would be the right place.

Your parents and friends can come visit you and maybe your parents might move close to you in your new area when you settle.

Have fun, don't overthink and be flexible. Good luck with your new adventure!
that's good advice, thank you, donie1. i AM overthinking it. part of it is reasonable, but time will tell, i guess. i plan to stay wherever i go at least a year. but i'm afraid of moving so far away and not having a job if i wanna come back. jobs are hard to find and is only going to get worse in my field. plus, CA isn't something i can do long term.

my biggest hurdle is guilt. i feel very bad leaving my parents right now. the "right" thing to do would be to stay. i know it...=I....sigh...wait a year, and look next year? i've tried so hard to find a job already. who knows if i'll get another chance next year around? i feel like i've already burned bridges by declining offers.
it's so ironic b/c the bank teller today actually went to school in north canton and worked for the company i got a job with. he said it's a nice area, so i decided to check it out once again and see if it really would be an okay place to live...lotsa big box stores and nothing too spectacular. probably affordable, though, and i could take care of my family if i needed to since it's only an 1.5 hrs. away...i can probably adapt to anything and it wouldn't be terrible, but i didn't feel a sense of future for myself there...=(
some places i go to like chicago, i meet cool, interesting hipster Christians, and go to cool boutiques and non-chain restaurants, and i feel hope and excitement. north canton/cleveland, not really..i feel dread..doom..but i should stay for my parents...

i wish the jobs would all come at once like college admittance letters. b/c they come staggered, i've had to let go of ones i should not have...i don't know which to choose. must decide by tomorrow.

Old 03-20-2011, 12:07 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,849,949 times
Don't stay for your parents. You have the opportunity now, you should take it. There are a lot of people out there who have sacrificed their entire lives to care for their parents, and it usually started with them turning down a big opportunity in order to stay home. I know a lot of people who get stuck in this pattern where they can never develop a good career or work record because they have to quit jobs any time their parents need them at home more. It's not a good way to go.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:17 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,258,486 times
I'm shocked you're not looking into Columbus, or at least you haven't mentioned it. Columbus has the best economy in the state of Ohio. It's one of the fastest growing cities in the Midwest, and it's always highly ranked for singles. Columbus is only 3 hours from Cleveland as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment