Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 02:10 PM

8 posts, read 55,682 times

Advertisements

I'm sort of curious about this topic because it's something people I know have done before and even I've done before in order to look for work. My profession has me working on a per contract basis, which means that there are times when the city I live has peak seasons when hiring. When things are slow I tend to look at other states to get work. Two years ago I sent out resumes with addresses that were not mine, but relatives or friends places in other states ( I asked their permission before doing this). I didn't get any work from these places but I at least got call backs from them, as opposed to other times when I applied to jobs out of state with my local address and received no calls.

For the most part, I just didn't meet their requirements with these companies and what not, but I at least was given the chance to speak to someone instead of being completely ignored because I didn't live in the city where the company was located.

A friend of mine did the same thing too a few years back and it actually landed him a job. Once he found his own place within a few days of arriving he just told the company that his address had changed, since they mailed his checks.

I have a few questions about this. Has anyone else ever done this? Does anyone think it's unethical to do this? Or is it a necessary evil in order to land the job you want because it seems like most employers are hesitant to hire someone out of state.

Also I'm aware there are some risks to this strategy. It could get expensive if they want an in person interview, especially if you need to fly out to a certain place within a matter of days or even a day. Also unexpected things could happen. Your flight could get delayed or outright canceled, etc. But I think the benefits outweigh the risks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 02:43 PM

5,475 posts, read 12,240,734 times
I think it's unethical because you run the risk of being found out by your potential employer. If you're entertaining out of state employment, you address your geographical issue in your cover letter, stating that you look forward to funding a trip to x city to discuss how your experience can best meet the employer's needs, or something to that effect. Plus, if they want to schedule an interview for the next day and you're not within driving distance, you'd have a problem. I just think it's a bad idea.

Old 01-13-2010, 03:39 PM

8 posts, read 55,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
I think it's unethical because you run the risk of being found out by your potential employer. If you're entertaining out of state employment, you address your geographical issue in your cover letter, stating that you look forward to funding a trip to x city to discuss how your experience can best meet the employer's needs, or something to that effect. Plus, if they want to schedule an interview for the next day and you're not within driving distance, you'd have a problem. I just think it's a bad idea.
Oh the risks are definitely there. And I always add the part about funding my own way, but it never has had any success. I remember speaking to my brother who was having a discussion with his boss one time and his boss had told him that hiring people out of state was risky for him for a number of reasons.

Would the person like the city? What if they get homesick and wants to leave after just a couple of months? What if they have a spouse and children, would they like the city? If not, would the person leave in order to make their family life happy again? There are a lot of factors that some employers take into consideration besides whether they are going to pay for relocation.

Old 01-13-2010, 03:42 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
I personally wouldn't apply for a job that wasn't within a days drive. Going too far away and you have much higher expenses for even interviewing. But sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. If it gets you a job you like...

Old 01-13-2010, 04:01 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,899,264 times
I don't think it is 'unethical'. That is a huge stretch of the meaning of that word, in my book. Would it be unethical to say you live in the city when you actually live in the suburbs? Would it be unethical to provide an address that suggests you own a mansion in an upscale neighborhood when really you live in a basement apartment in a rough neighborhood?

Just because a person doesn't live locally doesn't mean they aren't able to start right away or be committed to the job.

I have used non-permanent residence addresses for job applications twice and I am doing so again right now. In all cases I have used the address of someone I know. I have also genuinely been willing and able to move at a moment's notice and start work right away. For example at the moment I am using a friend's apartment address in another city to see if I can get work there. It is a city in which I lived previously so I have legitimate connections to the community. I have the names and contact info for short-term housing and a kennel for my pet if I were to need it. And I gave up my apartment and put my belongings in storage a few months ago, so I can literally start tomorrow. I took a similar approach in my last job/relocation search. If someone needed me to be at an interview tomorrow I wouldn't be able to attend, not because I am a few hundred miles away, but because I have appointments and commitments tomorrow, that I cannot reschedule.

I face no more obstacles, in fact fewer, than any local applicant. I know many employers will think otherwise, more out of a mere gut reaction than from actually using their heads and thinking about it. And that's okay, because I genuinely want to move, am willing to put in the effort to make it happen, and I don't want to work for an employer who can't use their brain to make decisions anyway.

I would add--if you want to convince an employer that you are local, make sure your FB and LinkedIn pages, if you have them, and any other internet sources about you, don't say you live elsewhere.

Old 01-13-2010, 04:18 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
I'd do it in a heartbeat. Wouldn't even hesitate. As long as I show up when and where I'm supposed to, it's none of their business.

I would only look for jobs in places I'm willing to live though!

Old 01-13-2010, 05:20 PM

5,475 posts, read 12,240,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I'd do it in a heartbeat. Wouldn't even hesitate. As long as I show up when and where I'm supposed to, it's none of their business.

I would only look for jobs in places I'm willing to live though!
It works unless you're already employed in another state, use a local address of your desired state, and then have to answer uncomfortable questions such as "Why do you state a local address but your current employer is in such and such state?" I just think it's too risky and it's better to be upfront with employers.

As far as "unethical" goes, there is a BIG difference between saying you live in a suburb of a city, a logical commute, and saying you live in TX when you're really in WA. Sorry. I just think it's a bad idea.

Old 01-13-2010, 05:29 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,899,264 times
Bad idea maybe. But 'unethical' is not the same as a bad idea.

Old 01-13-2010, 05:31 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,535,438 times
I must have missed something - why would an employer care where you live? A qualified person is a qualified person.

Normally, it's a matter of "how soon can you start" and "I'm not paying for you to fly out for an interview and/or relocate."

Old 01-13-2010, 05:33 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,407,878 times
Lying is always unethical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment