Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2011, 09:46 PM

1 posts, read 3,419 times

Advertisements

I went on a job interview on March 23 and the interview went pretty good. She said that she was interested in hiring me on a part time base, but she couldn't make any guarantees. The interviewer said that she would be finish interviewing that friday and would call me regardless. She didn't call, so I called this monday and she informed me that she had to reschedule a new appointment on tuesday and that she would make sure as soon as possible. I debating whether I should call again tomorrow or not.

I normally would wait around another week to call, but the fact that she was really interested in me make me hesitant about waiting too long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 11:34 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,482,260 times
I don't mean this in a snotty way, but if you really thought she was that interested, wouldn't you think she would call you? I've read about this a lot on this forum and it's even happened to me. Job applicants get overly eager about the job they interviewed for and somehow think that they need to call to remind the person doing the hiring. Bad idea. If they want you, they will call you. You already called once and she said she needed more time, calling again will probably only frustrate her. Also, when you wrote this thread it was Thursday night, that's really not that far way from her appointment on Tuesday. In short, don't call, wait while still scoping out other job opportunities.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:32 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
Hiring managers will find such calls annoying. Things take time and
often there will be a delay for one reason or another. Yes, it would be nice if they would keep you posted, but with hundreds of applicants for every opening these days it's just not practical. You should always keep looking, take every interview you can get, but never take anything said at or after the interview as a sign you will be hired. Until you have a salary offer it could still go to someone else. It's fairly common for a candidate to be the front-runner after an interview but then be blown out of the water by someone else interviewed later that day.

My most recent opening resulted in over 100 applicants, we interviewed 10. The person selected applied the day before it closed and was the last interviewed.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:59 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,733,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolSocks View Post
I don't mean this in a snotty way, but if you really thought she was that interested, wouldn't you think she would call you? I've read about this a lot on this forum and it's even happened to me. Job applicants get overly eager about the job they interviewed for and somehow think that they need to call to remind the person doing the hiring. Bad idea. If they want you, they will call you. You already called once and she said she needed more time, calling again will probably only frustrate her. Also, when you wrote this thread it was Thursday night, that's really not that far way from her appointment on Tuesday. In short, don't call, wait while still scoping out other job opportunities.

My first job after graduating college in 1986 was for a computer seller in Richmond, VA. I saw the add for an "indoor salesperson" meaning a person that deals with walk-in traffic and not an outside salesperson who goes to the client. I called and interviewed over the phone and thought it went well. I was called and told that the job was no longer available. The next weekend I saw the SAME POSITION being advertised in the paper. I called them back and mentioned this. I was too naive to understand that they were not interested in me. The hiring manager was IMPRESSED that I was so persistent and followed up on the postion. I was hired that day because a succesfull salesman does not take "no" for an answer. My previous sales experience was selling "Kirby" vaccuum cleaners during the summer.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:57 AM

1,128 posts, read 3,482,260 times
^

I think you were in a different situation than the OP is currently in. A lot of times hiring managers aren't impressed by that show of persistence, they are annoyed. I think there is a time and place for persistence and when you're on the hiring chopping block, that's not always the best time.

Old 04-01-2011, 11:42 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,648,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolSocks View Post
^

I think you were in a different situation than the OP is currently in. A lot of times hiring managers aren't impressed by that show of persistence, they are annoyed. I think there is a time and place for persistence and when you're on the hiring chopping block, that's not always the best time.
I agree. And this is also not 1986 anymore(sadly).

The OP needs to let them make the call and keep looking in the meantime.

Old 04-01-2011, 12:42 PM

3,573 posts, read 6,476,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I agree. And this is also not 1986 anymore(sadly).

The OP needs to let them make the call and keep looking in the meantime.
I agree. What we did in 1986 is a whole different ballgame now when it comes to employment. I can remember when I did this or that to get a job but I couldn't do that anymore. The job market is so much tougher then it used to be.

Old 04-02-2011, 10:34 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,067,847 times
If you don't hear back by late afternoon Monday, send an email expressing that you are still interested in the position and asking if there's any further information she might need, but don't call.

Old 04-02-2011, 10:38 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,911,216 times
Look if she wants to hire you, she's not going to forget to call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment