Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 09:06 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,378,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'm not sure if print shops still exist outside of the kinkos realm. But studying graphic design won't be a total waste if he can get an apprentiship with a tatoo artist.
Print shops definitely still exist. You can't get high-quality business cards at a Kinko's - you have to go to a real printer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 07:28 AM

10 posts, read 24,275 times
If he is an artist, you can join him for a course in Fine Arts. It has nothing to do with computers and quite fun to improve his artistic abilities. As he doesn't belong to your family, may be you can take him to a psychologist and then a career counselor, who can make your job easy.

Mark Chase
Job Search X - Find Your Next Career Change

Old 04-18-2011, 08:11 AM

3,562 posts, read 4,394,513 times
There's a highly overlooked career path for young men to consider. It's called the Military Sealift Command. It's a little mentioned non-combat branch of the U.S. Navy, ran by both military and civilian personnel. It requires a little schooling. With a little determination, a kid like he can be on his way to a solid good paying career with travel benefits.

Civilian Maritime Jobs | MSC | Military Sealift Command

Old 04-18-2011, 03:29 PM

9,850 posts, read 13,693,812 times
I know this a an oldish thread and I actually have no idea how I overlooked it.

Has the guidance counselor contacted a Casey Family Service organization? That routinely work with children that have aged out of the system, which it sounds like the child living in your home has (actually I'm assuming this since he's 18 and you make it sound like there isn't a caseworker involved at all to discuss independent living skills). Casey works nationally to guide children through these types of situations, careers, housing, family, benefits, etc. See if there is one in your area and if you can get him in there. They are a great organization.

As far as a career it really sounds like everyone here has just decided that the child is predestined for a technical career. Even if the foster parent (and I'm calling HOPES that because she is acting like that) is a staunch realist it can be really damaging to anyone's psyche to just say "Well, I don't see you being an artist because you don't have the drive to do it." You don't know that. There is research out there that shows children that have been through abuse/neglect are even more resilient that children who are raised in normal households. With his background in the system he won't even have to pay for school anyway...so let him go off and do what he wants for a bit..maybe even a community college and a few art classes. Maybe some graphic arts classes with some good professors will encourage him to take the more corporate road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment