Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 03:10 PM

70 posts, read 295,627 times

Advertisements

Alright,

I'm trying to make sense of everything. I looked into payscale.com and salary.com, but they aren't seeming to help much.

I have offers from $55,000-$60,000 in the Los Angeles Area.
I have offers from $48,000-$53,000 in the Hartford, Connecticut area.
And I have an offer for $55,000 in the Boston area.

My question is are these ranges enough to survive in the areas I've mentioned? I mean, considering car payments, rent for a good one bedroom or studio, etc..

I have $100,000 in student loan debt that I'll need to repay, so that should give some more perspective on my situation. I'm tempted to just take the offer for $60,000 starting, but I realize that cost of living can make a lesser salary more "lucrative" for me.

Also, I'm a Computer Engineering major, and will be doing anything from web development to actual software engineering. I'll have a bachelors degree from a fairly good school (not ivy). Are these offer ranges reasonable, or am I being stiffed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2007, 04:40 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,401,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatfire View Post
Alright,

I'm trying to make sense of everything. I looked into payscale.com and salary.com, but they aren't seeming to help much.

My question is are these ranges enough to survive in the areas I've mentioned? I mean, considering car payments, rent for a good one bedroom or studio, etc..

I have $100,000 in student loan debt that I'll need to repay, so that should give some more perspective on my situation. I'm tempted to just take the offer for $60,000 starting, but I realize that cost of living can make a lesser salary more "lucrative" for me.

Also, I'm a Computer Engineering major, and will be doing anything from web development to actual software engineering. I'll have a bachelors degree from a fairly good school (not ivy). Are these offer ranges reasonable, or am I being stiffed?
Ditch the car and take the job in Boston. You'll save plenty by not having to pay car insurance and payments. Rents are less expensive in Boston than Los Angeles. Get a roommate and pay off the student loan as soon as possible.

Also look into consolidating your loans to lock in other the lower interest rates available now.

Remember, you can write off the interest on your student loans... !

Greenie

Old 09-29-2007, 05:16 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,459,190 times
Good advice by Greenie and count your blessings you are being offered that much with NO work experience and just an undergraduate degree. I'd look up "Room-mates wanted ads" and share a place with one or two people. Rents are outrageous, in and around Boston. Then you can ramp up your payments on the loans. I'd also try to resist overspending on recreation. I also might look into the Hartford area for its lower cost of living (and lower rents) if you want to pay off your loans earlier.

Old 09-29-2007, 05:52 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,393,698 times
You will have a very spartan (i.e., poor) lifestyle in L.A. on that salary. You can do it, but you will be strapped. You'll probably have to have multiple roommates and live in a less desirable part of town, however. The beach is great, but L.A. rents and taxes are very high. Good luck!

Old 09-29-2007, 05:53 PM

Well, I have two internships (Fortune 10, and a small company), as well as many contract jobs that I did during college that are all related to my Software Engineering career.

Old 09-29-2007, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyehollywood View Post
You will have a very spartan (i.e., poor) lifestyle in L.A. on that salary. You can do it, but you will be strapped. You'll probably have to have multiple roommates and live in a less desirable part of town, however. The beach is great, but L.A. rents and taxes are very high. Good luck!
And, just out of curiosity, how much does one have to make to live "average", "comfortably", and "very well" in LA?

I am definitely open to advice in general. I've asking around about this situation, and what I've learned is that I haven't the slightest clue what I'm getting myself into.

Old 09-29-2007, 06:11 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,401,511 times
Quote:
And, just out of curiosity, how much does one have to make to live "average", "comfortably", and "very well" in LA?

I am definitely open to advice in general. I've asking around about this situation, and what I've learned is that I haven't the slightest clue what I'm getting myself into.
Trust me on this, Los Angeles is not a place for those who want to save money. It is a culture of conspicuous wealth. Move here, and before you know it, you'll be convinced that you absolutely must lease a brand new BMW to drive yourself to work in. (And you will have to drive to work.) And then you'll be convinced that you need those $150 pair of jeans, and so on. The other problem is, there are few high-tech companies here.

Move to Boston and you'll be surrounded by more conservative folks and engineers who are happy to drive a Subaru and save for their first home. They will value your education there. You'll also be bumping up against lots of other people in the high tech industry, which sets you up just perfectly for your next higher-paying job! When you have a $100,000 student loan to deal with, these are important considerations.

Greenie

Old 09-29-2007, 06:11 PM

897 posts, read 2,457,983 times
Quote:
Alright,

These are average they do not include work experience.
LA
Computer Software Engineers, Systems Software (http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes151032.htm - broken link)
Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana, CA - May 2006 OES Metropolitan Area Occupational Employment and Wage Estimates
boston
Boston-Cambridge-Quincy, MA-NH - May 2006 OES Metropolitan Area Occupational Employment and Wage Estimates
Computer Software Engineers, Systems Software (http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes151032.htm - broken link)
Hartford
Hartford-West Hartford-East Hartford, CT - May 2006 OES Metropolitan Area Occupational Employment and Wage Estimates

Old 09-29-2007, 08:34 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,095,135 times
I would forget the offer in L.A. The cost of living is much higher in L.A. than in Boston or Hartford, so even though the L.A. offer seems to be the highest, it's really the lowest IMO.
All other things being equal, I'd take the Boston job. It's a great city. But also consider how much medical insurance will cost at each company (can vary wildly), if either company gives bonuses, and if either company matches retirement account contributions. Also consider which job you think you will be happiest at, which you can stay the longest at.
Best of luck!

Old 09-29-2007, 10:00 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,957,822 times
Quote:
Are these offer ranges reasonable, or am I being stiffed?
It does not make any difference, these are the offers you have and as a recent BA grad you probably have little to bargain with.

I think you can make any of those offers and places work but it will take a responsible budget and execution. Look at the total situation in each case.

You will be paid market price in most cases and unless you find a way to offer more to your employer it will continue to be market compensation, regardless of your expenses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search