Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2011, 08:42 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,773,520 times

Advertisements

No personal interest, just curious. I read an article about an explosion in law school attendance, saying it more then doubled in the last decade, and now with the economy bust and less attendees, many schools are troubled.

Googled and didnt find much info. Just curious because I know a few people in law school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 11:28 PM

18,735 posts, read 33,410,912 times
Law school is often the Plan B for those who major in liberal arts, don't want math/tech, and have no idea what to do after college. (See Under: Massive Debt)

Old 04-20-2011, 11:31 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
Hmmmm...

I think that (like many things) it depends on who you are, what you're studying, WHERE you're studying, the connections you have, where you choose to work, the field you choose, etc, etc, etc.

My BIL's gf just interviewed in several different places in both Houston and Dallas and then took her pick of offers. She's only been practicing for a couple of years, so it's not like she's some legal hot shot.
My brother and some of his friends are patent attorneys with advanced technical backgrounds and they are still sought after.

So some people are sitting fat...others (like my brother's friend who wants to do environmental law) are kind of floundering.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:52 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,974,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Law school is often the Plan B for those who major in liberal arts, don't want math/tech, and have no idea what to do after college. (See Under: Massive Debt)
Wrong. Often, it has been the plan all along.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:21 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times
OP, it's no secret that most lawyers won't make a living as lawyers, and a majority of those who do just scrape by.

I have friends who are lawyers. Some are extremely successful and wealthy, most manage an upper middle class lifestyle, and others are barely making ends meet at a middle class lifestyle. I also know people who have law degrees but don't support themselves in a legal profession but transferred their education to corporate industries but not the legal departments. Then there are also your activists and politicians with law degrees.

Going into law is a gamble. As someone said, there are many variables to becoming a successful lawyer.

Just as there are starving artists, there are starving lawyers. I really don't think this is anything new.

Regardless, here's an article that's relevant to your question: Law school admissions drop 11.6% across U.S. - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Old 04-21-2011, 12:50 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,357,106 times
Law school graduates are the ones taking the paralegal jobs right now. As far as success in law, I think it depends on the field - disability law seems to be the hot thing now. One practice opened in a neighboring town last year, and I applied (I'm a displaced legal assistant). We talked in depth about the field opening up, and how getting on SSI/disability is the brass ring right now. I had a lot of experience on that end - I had done psychological transcription and transcribed evaluations for folks just as this.

(Needless to say, I didn't get the job - it went to a twenty-something, but I was told they were "impressed with me" and they'd keep my resume on file and consider me if the practice expanded...oh, well).

Old 04-21-2011, 01:14 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,197,348 times
There is this thread about the subject in Education

WSJ: "Law School Loses Its Allure as Jobs at Firms Are Scarce"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment