Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 08:01 AM

1,381 posts, read 1,775,266 times

Advertisements

I recently interviewed for a position in an industry I'd like to break into, and they've already told me I'm the top candidate. Though I was excited about the opportunity just a few days ago, I am now having second thoughts about accepting an offer (should it be extended):

1. The company is web-based and has people working from home in 5 different states. Currently there is no office set up in my state (not sure about the other 4), which is why meetings at Starbuck's and other venues are the norm.

2. Despite being 15 years old, the company only has 15 or so employees.

3. I was only given a general job description, but everything about it screams "customer service." (Note: My background is in writing/editing.) They said they'd provide all the toys needed to do the job (iPad, iPhone, etc.) The interviewer was upfront about the fact that they were looking for someone committed to staying connected nearly all the time. Put simply, "if you're looking to turn off the laptop at 6 on the dot, this is not for you." I'd be expected to answer "urgent e-mails" even on weekends.

4.I am trying to avoid jobs that impose travel, and this one might require me to fly out to other states on short notice.

5. When I mentioned benefits, all he said was that they offer insurance. If I want to inquire into 401K and other perks, I'd have to "take it up with the CEO."

So, I'm getting the sense that this is nothing more than an at-home customer service position with an attractive title meant to throw you off. Sure, I'll enjoy a much more handsome salary (he gave me the salary range), but probably at the expense of causing me to veer in another direction career-wise. Granted, the interviewer noted the potential to transition into other areas based on one's skills, but I took his words with a grain of salt.

What do you guys think I should do? Should I pass on this one? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 08:12 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
I recently interviewed for a position in an industry I'd like to break into, and they've already told me I'm the top candidate. Though I was excited about the opportunity just a few days ago, I am now having second thoughts about accepting an offer (should it be extended):

1. The company is web-based and has people working from home in 5 different states. Currently there is no office set up in my state (not sure about the other 4), which is why meetings at Starbuck's and other venues are the norm.

2. Despite being 15 years old, the company only has 15 or so employees.

3. I was only given a general job description, but everything about it screams "customer service." (Note: My background is in writing/editing.) They said they'd provide all the toys needed to do the job (iPad, iPhone, etc.) The interviewer was upfront about the fact that they were looking for someone committed to staying connected nearly all the time. Put simply, "if you're looking to turn off the laptop at 6 on the dot, this is not for you." I'd be expected to answer "urgent e-mails" even on weekends.

4.I am trying to avoid jobs that impose travel, and this one might require me to fly out to other states on short notice.

5. When I mentioned benefits, all he said was that they offer insurance. If I want to inquire into 401K and other perks, I'd have to "take it up with the CEO."

So, I'm getting the sense that this is nothing more than an at-home customer service position with an attractive title meant to throw you off. Sure, I'll enjoy a much more handsome salary (he gave me the salary range), but probably at the expense of causing me to veer in another direction career-wise. Granted, the interviewer noted the potential to transition into other areas based on one's skills, but I took his words with a grain of salt.

What do you guys think I should do? Should I pass on this one? Thanks in advance.
What are the three most likely things that will happen to you employment wise in the next six months if you pass on it?
What is the probability you will get a job that is makes you at least 80% happy within the next six months?

If you took the job, would hit hurt you in finding your next job? Meaning, why not take it for the money and keep looking? Who knows, your impression might be wrong and you'll end up digging this job.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:17 AM

1,381 posts, read 1,775,266 times
I forgot to mention that I currently have a job and am looking for other career-building opportunities. Obviously, having a job affords you the freedom to be a bit pickier.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:23 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Take it up with the CEO? I would run away and not look back.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:18 AM

2,718 posts, read 5,359,544 times
Sounds like a scam. They are going to send you an iPad and other "toys" to do the job? Sounds bogus.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:25 AM

649 posts, read 1,132,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
Sounds like a scam. They are going to send you an iPad and other "toys" to do the job? Sounds bogus.
ya, what kind of job is going to give you an iPad and iPhone without even interviewing you, LOL.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:31 AM

361 posts, read 737,645 times
What is their line of business?
What does the general job description say? Do you have an idea what you'd be doing day to day?
Have you checked out the company? What is their reputation, if any, within their industry etc.?
Wow, be careful!...

Old 04-25-2011, 01:39 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Pass on it. It would be different if you were unemployed but you have a job.

When he make comments about not turning off the laptop at 6pm , that means they want you when they want you. You're supposed to be available 24/7.

And "take it up with the CEO" regarding a 401K means there are no retirement benefits.

I would pass.

Old 04-25-2011, 05:16 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,449,350 times
Think of it this way: will you regret NOT taking the job? If you'll regret it, then take it. If not, pass.

As far as the retirement benefits go, a lot of places don't match 401k contributions anyway right now so you could always invest in a Roth account or other retirement type benefit on your own and not be missing out on much if anything.

Personally, it doesn't sound structured/stable enough for me.

Old 04-25-2011, 05:25 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,387,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
They probably say that to everyone. The whole thing sounds fishy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment