Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 09:44 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,186,581 times

Advertisements

LOL....what a fallacy.

YES, America has exported jobs to China......mind you they are lower paying jobs BUT what you never hear people say is America imports 2/3 as many jobs as it exports. Let's see here, how about Toyota and Honda( Japan) just to name 2 companies that the U.S. has IMPORTED.

We export low paying positions and IMPORT higher paying positions.

"We" are not in ruin, YOU are.

IF you don't like your financial situation. Make it top priority to change it. It will not change hanging out on CD crying about what you don't have and what others do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
Thought I would continue the discussion on the degradation of the american lifestyle and how it effects us all. Thought I would also repost how close we are to ruin:

Here is some food for thought imf-bombshell-age-america-end-marketwatch: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance

"What we have done is traded jobs for profit. The jobs have moved to China. The capability erodes in the U.S. and grows in China. That's very destructive. That is a big reason why the U.S. is becoming more and more polarized between a small, very rich class and an eroding middle class. The people who get the profits are very different from the people who lost the wages."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 09:55 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,324,646 times
First we have a President that vilifies 'millionaires and billionaires' (as if they've got something to be ashamed of for doing well for themselves in a free market economy, or as if they owe you and me a damned thing, which they don't) but then proposes increasing taxes on anyone making $250,000 a year (your doctor, for example) and that includes small businesses ('S' Corporations, for example) that employ the majority of people in this country. So somehow someone making $250,000 is a villain 'millionaire or billionaire'.

Now we have a full blown class war and we've somehow managed to redefine as 'rich' someone making a very modest $70k a year. This is a divide and conquer strategy.

It's real simple: If you're not making as much as you like, work harder or smarter or longer hours or change careers. Go to school if necessary. Then, once you've improved your lot in life, watch and see how you feel when people vilify you as being 'rich', which you won't be but is no crime even if you are.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:28 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,452,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
America imports 2/3 as many jobs as it exports.
Link to source of this statistic, please?

Of course some jobs from foreign companies do stay in the USA, but I have not seen the evidence to suggest that the global exchange of jobs has been so relatively "even" for the USA. Perhaps I'm wrong, but it has appeared to me that a lot more has left than has come to us.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:33 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,200,443 times
I suspect that would be impossible to quantify. Even accurately describing a job as being imported isn't so black and white in this era of multinational corporation.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:35 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,473,258 times
The gap between the rich and the poor is growing. The middle class is shrinking. Something needs to be done before the middle class is eliminated. I'm not advocating communism. I don't think everyone should make equal pay. Of course a brain surgeon should make more money than a cashier.

But I think we should try to shrink the gap between the rich and the poor. Redistribution of wealth is not a bad thing.

The middle class should go back to its former glory

On the other thread, I think the OP of this thread said we will eventually reach a point where the workers will revolt because they've had enough. Something should be done before it comes to that. Maybe we should think about why workers might want to revolt in the future and we should take the steps necessary to make sure they won't want to revolt.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:54 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,473,258 times
The thing is there's no guidelines that say how much you need to pay employees (other than minimum wage laws).

On the other thread, someone said something about employers making a 300% profit off of their employees. But why should it be that way? Does it really take 300% to make up for the costs? Does the employer really need a 300% profit?

If the employers still made a decent profit, but not 300%, what would be so bad about that? Employers get rich at the expense of their employees.

In history, there are a lot of examples of what happens when a few people have the wealth and the average person is a peasant. There have been peasant revolts in history.

If the majority of people get reduced to peasants, workers are only willing to tolerate so much.

As for redistribution of wealth...the way it is, the rich pay more taxes and the people making minimum wage barely get taxed. That's an example of redistribution of wealth. I don't understand why the opponents of wealth redistribution act like it doesn't already exist.

Old 04-28-2011, 11:29 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,704,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
Redistribution of wealth is not a bad thing.
That opinion largely depends on which side of the fence your currently reside.

Old 04-28-2011, 11:49 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Employers take risks. They expect high returns. If you shrink the gap too much then who is going to take the risk? Everyone would just sit around watiing for someone else to start a business.

Old 04-28-2011, 11:55 AM

364 posts, read 1,080,681 times
The fact of the matter as well, is employers don't pay well from what I've seen. And if you do make 70+ you're better be willing to sell your soul to that job.

Old 04-28-2011, 11:59 AM

4,463 posts, read 6,229,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
First we have a President that vilifies 'millionaires and billionaires' (as if they've got something to be ashamed of for doing well for themselves in a free market economy, or as if they owe you and me a damned thing, which they don't) but then proposes increasing taxes on anyone making $250,000 a year (your doctor, for example) and that includes small businesses ('S' Corporations, for example) that employ the majority of people in this country. So somehow someone making $250,000 is a villain 'millionaire or billionaire'.

Now we have a full blown class war and we've somehow managed to redefine as 'rich' someone making a very modest $70k a year. This is a divide and conquer strategy.

It's real simple: If you're not making as much as you like, work harder or smarter or longer hours or change careers. Go to school if necessary. Then, once you've improved your lot in life, watch and see how you feel when people vilify you as being 'rich', which you won't be but is no crime even if you are.
Some millionares are in fact evil, just look at the hedge fund managers who orcistrated the entire housing market crash or your gold man sachs, etc. These people are not innocent and they DO owe the US people.

Yes there are millionares who got where they are lagtimitly but they are generally old timers becuase if your 30 something and have millions or billions there is a very likely possiblity you did something unethical to get there and they should be make to pay the piper. Just look at face book creator who stole code from harvard or bill gates ripping off the sorce code for dos. God knows all the shady back door stuff that goes on where these people got their start.

Thats just the real poop, I guess you have your fluke rock stars or sports stars who fluked out big time and make tons by their late 20's early 30's but thats a VAST minority.

The class war exists because most people that have tons of money stole it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment