Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2011, 07:14 AM

5 posts, read 11,176 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

About a month and half ago I was hired for what I considered to be a great entry level job in the human resources field. The interview proccess to obtain this position required interviews with three different people each of whom promised that as long as I was flexible with work start and finish times I would always have 40 hours a week. I was also told that if work was slow in one department I could be cross trained in another.

Fast forward: last week I was told to go home at noon---we didn't have enough work. I informed my team lead immediately of what I had been promised and was told 'sorry you are signed on as a LTE.' I had no choice but to go home and started applying for new work immediately...something was fishy!

I called the next day and spoke with one of the managers who hired me. Without need to be so as I was soft spoken and professional she was snarky and defensive. Insisting that I was LTE and therefore had no right to think I would always have fulltime work, she said that I had made some mistakes (How dare the new hire make minor mistakes after two days of poor training!) and no I couldn't be cross trained. It's well known through various inside emails that the company is seeking new talent in different departments...so why not just transfer me somewhere else?

Well management won't budge, won't admit that they made false promises and worst of all when I called and tried to get what was happened to me figured out I was told 'Well it sounds like you don't really want the job..." WHAT? Why would I call and try to get this all sorted if I didn't?

I should have known by how jaded and hung over the person who trained me was. I really enjoyed this job (and this showed) and was really, really upset for a good week but trudged ahead and put a lot of new applications out there and am in the final stages of interviewing for a new (higher paying) job.

I just don't get what my company is trying to pull here. If I am not good enough, why not just terminate me? If I need more training why not just take the time out and train me? I am technically still employed but on call. Needless to say I am not holding my breath.

I have a suspcion that it was the company's intention all along to use me (and maybe others) as long as they workload was unbearably high and discard us when it wasn't---if they had just stated their real needs at the start I probably wouldn't have taken the job.

Anyway, I am trying really hard to stay positive and give others the benefit of the doubt but there are some terrible trends I am seeing in the corporate environment:

.Trainers that don't really want to train, bosses that expect immediate perfection.
.Bosses with seemingly zero personality...including empathy or a desire to keep their word.
.Worst of all: management that cannot keep worked realted problems just that. Is it me or are managers becoming more inclined towards personal attacks?

Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 08:17 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
What is an LTE? Were you brought in as a temp through an agency?

It sounds like just what you said, they had a high work load and brought you in to catch up.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:45 PM

5 posts, read 11,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
What is an LTE? Were you brought in as a temp through an agency?

It sounds like just what you said, they had a high work load and brought you in to catch up.
LTE = limited term employement.

I was hired directly and was told by three different people that I would always have full time hours as long as I was flexible with shift end and start times.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:58 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,448,948 times
So were you supposed to have full time hours during that 'limited time employment'?

It sounds to me like perhaps there was miscommunication. If someone told me I was hired for LTE I would assume it was temporary while the workload required extra help.

I don't personally see problems with management bosses in the few recent jobs I've had and you probably can't generalize either way. I'm sure there are some awful people in management out there but I bet there always have been.

It sounds like you took matters into your own hands and hopefully will be more cautious about what kind of employment you accept (not LTE but FTE). Good luck with the new interviews.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment