Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should those with children be paid more?
Yes 6 4.76%
No 120 95.24%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 09:42 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times

Advertisements

A better case could be made that they should be paid LESS, as those with young kids are usually out of the office more, working less OT, while upper mgmt dumps on everyone else..afraid to tackle the issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 11:45 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikorock28 View Post
No, they already pay substantially less taxes than those who do not have children and use way more services.
If you think about it, most employers are private and public companies not owned or run by the government. They actually have nothing to do with taxes. Just because someone pays less taxes doesn't really correlate to what they should get paid. What angle are you trying for here?

Old 05-06-2011, 12:06 AM

331 posts, read 956,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
If you think about it, most employers are private and public companies not owned or run by the government. They actually have nothing to do with taxes. Just because someone pays less taxes doesn't really correlate to what they should get paid. What angle are you trying for here?
I agree, my remark was tangential to the topic of income. I am just saying people with children are already given the ridiculous break of paying significantly less taxes. They don't need another ridiculous break.

Old 05-06-2011, 06:51 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,730,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
A new fella with the title 'Supervisor' started here on Monday. He spoke at how his last site (same company, just different spot to work) screwed him over and gave the management position to this guy he described as "nuttin but a privileged white boy" .. .. (of course, that's acceptable behavior and I'm sure I'm a racist for pointing that out)

Anyway, he then told me that since he was a privileged white boy, he didn't need the promotion/money, and that HE needs the money since he got kids.

So, I ask, should people be paid more/likely be given a promotion simply because they have a family?

You already get more money when you deduct them from your taxes.. In the old days employers would not hire women if a man needed the job because it was ASSUMED he had a FAMILY to feed. We don't want to return to those days.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:00 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Breeding is a choice.
Parents frequently get out of working overtime, get special time off for little Johnny's play or soccer game or whatever while childless/childfree people pick up the slack.

Can't take care of kids without subsidies, consider not having them.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:09 AM

1,338 posts, read 2,566,094 times
We are expats and I think we should get an extra payment because we don't have kids.

If we had them the company would be paying for their schooling and we would get a larger housing allowance to enable us to get a bigger place.... I even joked to hubby's boss when we lived in Asia that I might adopt some so they get a good education...

Old 05-06-2011, 08:20 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,453,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
A better case could be made that they should be paid LESS, as those with young kids are usually out of the office more, working less OT, while upper mgmt dumps on everyone else..afraid to tackle the issue.
Actually many companies do pay parents less but many parents often attibute the pay gap to gender.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:38 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,852,168 times
There are so many things I want to respond to. I hope I remember them all. I also know that someone is going to read what I write in a way that it isn't meant to sound, so... Let me start by saying that I don't think that parents should get paid more just because they have kids. That is ridiculous.

I also saw a few statements that I would like to respond to.

1. Most parents get more time off than singles: For the parents I know this is the opposite. I work many more hours than the single people I work with. When I look around after 5:00, you will see almost all of the parents, but very few singles. When I talk to these people, most of them say 1 of 2 things. Either they feel so much pressure because they have kids that they HAVE to have a job (much harder to be homeless with kids) or they feel like the bosses are watching them very closely to make sure they don't take extra time for kid related things, so they stay late to make sure that it can't be construed that way.
  2. Women making less than men because "men have families to support": Ugh. I hate this. I am fairly young and have experienced this first-hand. I think employers sometimes forget that times have changed. I am not working for "pin money". I am the breadwinner in my family. I need every penny I can make. That is beside the point though. Even if I was working for "pin money" how does that make my work any less valuable than the man sitting next to me?
  3. Some people making comments about having kids may be misunderstood: In some of the cases, when some people say "I have 3 kids!" They aren't necessarily saying they should be paid more. A lot of the time they are joining in the gripe session/conversation by saying "I know how you feel about the low pay. I also have to support 3 kids." They are usually just commiserating with you. Of course this isn't always true and some are actually saying they should be paid more because of the kids, but those are the minority.

Old 05-06-2011, 01:10 PM

2,652 posts, read 4,798,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tban View Post
If this was the case, everyone in the hood would be rich!
And, trailer park.

Old 05-06-2011, 01:19 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
There are so many things I want to respond to. I hope I remember them all. I also know that someone is going to read what I write in a way that it isn't meant to sound, so... Let me start by saying that I don't think that parents should get paid more just because they have kids. That is ridiculous.

I also saw a few statements that I would like to respond to.

1. Most parents get more time off than singles: For the parents I know this is the opposite. I work many more hours than the single people I work with. When I look around after 5:00, you will see almost all of the parents, but very few singles. When I talk to these people, most of them say 1 of 2 things. Either they feel so much pressure because they have kids that they HAVE to have a job (much harder to be homeless with kids) or they feel like the bosses are watching them very closely to make sure they don't take extra time for kid related things, so they stay late to make sure that it can't be construed that way.
My personal experience does not correlate with this statement. I cannot think of one place that I have worked where parents do not get some kind of preferential treatment. There was one job where a co-worker got off at 3 pm every Wednesday because she had to take her child something like 50 miles away to some lesson or something (she talked about it constantly and incessantly, but I never listened). LOL

I am not ashamed to say that even *I* (blissfully childfree person that I am), have actually played the mommy card ONCE myself. (no really) It is so-very-easy to get that quasi-semi-victim look on your face and plead "I cannot attend that unscheduled meeting because I have to pick-up little Bratzilla at day care, and they carge $5 per minute for every minute you are late (after 5:00) pm". blah blah blah blah blah (all the while laughing inwardly that I am "getting out" of a stupid boring meeting and nobody knows the difference...LOL) (BTW I knew I wasn't going to be working at that job much longer so my little white lie would not catch up with me and frankly, I wouldn't care if it did).

Unfortunately, I am getting to the age where I am going to have to play the GRANDMOMMY card if I want to use that excuse again. ho ho

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment