Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 04:04 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,179,786 times

Advertisements

I work for a very large medical institution and I see people literally lay on the floor so the doctors can use them as a floor mat.

Than I see those same people (support staff), "talk down" to the housekeeping staff, just because. I have to laugh to myself every time I see it. That's terrible that people act that way. I guess that's classism in action for you.

I can go into any organization and tell who is in charge( I'm not talking about low level or middle managers..I mean CEO,President, owner) without ever knowing their job title. Usually that's the person that values other people regardless of their job title.

The folks at the VERY Top understand, to make an organization successful, it is driven by people, not robots nor door mats.

So do you?

I know some of you do......

Last edited by Ron.; 05-15-2011 at 04:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 04:08 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,184,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
I work for a very large medical institution and I see people literally lay on the floor so the doctors can use them as a floor mat.

Than I see those same people (support staff), "talk down" to the housekeeping staff. I have to laugh to myself every time I see it. That's terrible that people act that way. I guess that's classism in action for you.

So do you?

I know some of you do......
I've seen that kind of behavior when I worked at a hospital many moons ago. It was pretty strange and frankly, as a patient, it makes me suspect of medical staff as if they're a bunch of dumb asses. At my current job (R&D @big pharma), I don't see it. Although, I may be oblivious.

Old 05-15-2011, 04:21 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,179,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I've seen that kind of behavior when I worked at a hospital many moons ago. It was pretty strange and frankly, as a patient, it makes me suspect of medical staff as if they're a bunch of dumb asses. At my current job (R&D @big pharma), I don't see it. Although, I may be oblivious.
I'm sorry about your experience......it may not be as visible with your current situation and may not be present at all. Dumb asses, yeah, lots of them, including the doctors. I tell people:"Doctor does not equal Competence".

Usually in places where there are a lot of support staff, like medical facilities, you'll see more of it.

Old 05-15-2011, 04:36 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,154,604 times
Only time I've experienced that was in the Navy Reserves....but I think it's well-understood and expected that there is a clear heirarchy in the military.

My ex is a doctor and many of my friends are in the medical profession so I see the fallacy of assuming doctors are all-knowing (LOL some of them are truly incompetent or weirdos...you have no idea.) I have worked as a volunteer in a large hospital off and on for years...as a volunteer I afford nurses and aides as much, if not more, respect because they know what's going on nitty-gritty-wise. Also as a volunteer there is no benefit to my groveling to doctors or administrators. So I don't.

On the other hand, I own a small client-oriented business and would feel frankly uncomfortable if my employees acted like "doormats" towards me! While I have expectations for what needs to be done to complete a job and for me to pay for the necessary work, I treat and regard employees as "paid partners", not some lower caste.

Old 05-15-2011, 04:38 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,934,465 times
It's called power harassment.

Power harassment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-15-2011, 04:39 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,934,465 times
Like in Pat Tillman's case?

But I am glad you don't want to walk all over your employees like door mats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Only time I've experienced that was in the Navy Reserves....but I think it's well-understood and expected that there is a clear heirarchy in the military.

My ex is a doctor and many of my friends are in the medical profession so I see the fallacy of assuming doctors are all-knowing (LOL some of them are truly incompetent or weirdos...you have no idea.) I have worked as a volunteer in a large hospital off and on for years...as a volunteer I afford nurses and aides as much, if not more, respect because they know what's going on nitty-gritty-wise. Also as a volunteer there is no benefit to my groveling to doctors or administrators. So I don't.

On the other hand, I own a small client-oriented business and would feel frankly uncomfortable if my employees acted like "doormats" towards me! While I have expectations for what needs to be done to complete a job and for me to pay for the necessary work, I treat and regard employees as "paid partners", not some lower caste.

Old 05-15-2011, 05:03 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,154,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Like in Pat Tillman's case?

But I am glad you don't want to walk all over your employees like door mats.
I was talking in general terms, not specifics...I know about the Pat Tillman case but not sure what it has to do with classism or heirarchy in the workplace? The Army lied and mislead news investigators initially, telling them that Tillman was killed by an ambush, not by "friendly" fire. Which was utterly reprehensible but nothing to do with the issue the OP raised.

And, sorry, but mflol at your "power harrassment" wikipedia link. I am guessing you are very young?

Old 05-15-2011, 05:17 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,184,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
I'm sorry about your experience......it may not be as visible with your current situation and may not be present at all.
Actually, the more I ponder it about my current job the argument could be made. But, not in the same way as what you see in hospitals. I was a nutrition assistant/aid. That was one step up from house keeping lol. Oh, the attitudes. At my job now, in no way would anyone ever look or talk down upon housekeeping or environmental services. That kind of lower class behavior is something professionals look to avoid. What I am finding, however, is a bit of doormat treatment from managers to associates. Nothing in your face of course, but along the lines of mgrs taking and not giving credit to associates.
Quote:
Dumb asses, yeah, lots of them, including the doctors. I tell people:"Doctor does not equal Competence".

Usually in places where there are a lot of support staff, like medical facilities, you'll see more of it.
And from the patients as well. They're players in that game.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:04 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,896,678 times
I don't treat lower on the ladder workers bad.
Nor, do I act impressed because some tool has a long "impressive" job title.
None of it concerns me. Work is a paycheck. Let's get back to our lives and stop having work rule our lives with sillyness like "titles"

Old 05-16-2011, 12:38 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,127,429 times
Higher level workers should treat lower level workers as equals (more or less).
Lower level workers should treat higher level workers as higher level with utmost respect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment