Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 07:00 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,319,991 times

Advertisements

Ok so I have been networking with a lot of high up peeps via Linkedin in specific architecture firms of specific divisions. Not so much to ask for a job, but to let them know I am interested in the near future and so that they get to know me. Anyway, thus far the conversations have mostly all been through email and it's been fantastic. A lot of feedback and a lot of people praising my background.

One of the directors for a firm, I reached out to last week to see if I could just chat with him in regards to his division and the type of work he does, etc. I figured it would be casual, maybe over the phone or at a coffee shop or something.

Well he contacted me back and he made an appointment with me and told me to come to his office to discuss. I was a little surprised I wasn't expecting that.

He never said this was an interview or anything like that. But should I be treating it like one?

Meaning should I show up in a suit, and have a resume with me just in case. I was really expecting it to be something casual over the phone or at coffee shop. But him wanting me to come to the office, is totally unexpected. Also this simple fact that he wants me to go there, is that a good sign? He is really high up there at a very high level position and I feel good that he is willing to take the time to see me, but that he wants to meet 1 on 1 makes me feel good!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 08:41 PM

anyone?

Old 08-19-2013, 08:51 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Yes, treat it like an interview and bring your best self.

If he's going to the trouble of bringing you there, show him that he hasn't wasted his time.

Good luck!

Old 08-20-2013, 07:03 AM

Thanks that is how I was thinking of treating it. Has anyone ever had similar experiences?

Old 08-20-2013, 07:16 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
I got the job I have now through linkedin. I had two lunches, a phone interview and three on-site interviews. I dressed business casual for the lunches, mainly because I work in a city and have a hard time hiding a suit jacket (and don't drive to work, so leaving it in a car is impractical). I wore a full suit for the on-site interviews. I am working the new job now. It worked out better for me than any other interview process. We got to know each other well enough before the 'formal' interview that we had a pretty good idea if we would actually enjoy working together.

That being said, my lunches were absolutely interviews, so treat them as such.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I got the job I have now through linkedin. I had two lunches, a phone interview and three on-site interviews. I dressed business casual for the lunches, mainly because I work in a city and have a hard time hiding a suit jacket (and don't drive to work, so leaving it in a car is impractical). I wore a full suit for the on-site interviews. I am working the new job now. It worked out better for me than any other interview process. We got to know each other well enough before the 'formal' interview that we had a pretty good idea if we would actually enjoy working together.

That being said, my lunches were absolutely interviews, so treat them as such.
Thanks, so since I am in the office I should go dressed in a suit.

My question as well, usually when people invite you to the offices for this types of meetings does this mean they are usually interested in you?

Old 08-20-2013, 09:49 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Thanks, so since I am in the office I should go dressed in a suit.

My question as well, usually when people invite you to the offices for this types of meetings does this mean they are usually interested in you?
They are definitely interested. They probably aren't ready to hire you on the spot or anything like that, but they see something that makes you worth an hour of their time. They wouldn't waste their time bringing you in if they didn't see some sort of potential. I would consider it on par with any first round interview.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:42 AM

Thanks so much, I am pretty excited about this!

Old 08-20-2013, 01:10 PM

Also I know two people at the firm, so hopefully this will help even further!

Old 08-20-2013, 05:09 PM

Anyone else?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment