Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 12:52 PM

96 posts, read 312,183 times

Advertisements

Obviously, in this kind of economy, a lot of people will have to make tough decisions about less-than-desirable situations. I was wondering if anyone had to decide between relocating to a city that you absolutely hated because you finally got a job offer and continuing to hunt for a position in a city you loved, but was more competitive job-wise. If you did relocate, were you ever able to make it back to your original city? And if you decided to roll the dice and stay where you are, did you regret your decision or did it work out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 01:31 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavalake View Post
Obviously, in this kind of economy, a lot of people will have to make tough decisions about less-than-desirable situations.
yes they will.

Quote:
I was wondering if anyone had to decide between relocating to a city that you absolutely hated because you finally got a job offer...
You shouldn't uproot your entire life by moving away to some other city and especially one that you "hate" for something this insubstantial...
unless there is some other issue going on.

Quote:
If you did relocate...
it should be to get some specific work experience (a training program perhaps?) or to join some great company that will have real opportunity to use your education, talents, interests, experience, personality, etc..

If that sort of opportunity exists... all the rest should follow in due course.
If it doesn't... stick close to your support network.

Old 05-18-2011, 01:39 PM

7,975 posts, read 7,351,944 times
When I was unemployed last year, I was advised to seek a job in the nearest city (well over an hour's commute away). I hate that city, I pretty much hate all cities. I found a lower paying job in my small rural town and opted to take that instead. With gas prices the way they are, I'm glad I did! Less money, but I'm not spending any of it at the gas station.

Old 05-18-2011, 02:38 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
I accepted a great job in Minnesota and lived there for almost 15 years. It was a much better, higher paying job that what I would have ever gotten in beautiful Salt Lake City, where I lived before MN.

I hated the weather in MN. Winter was 1/2 the year and I mean REAL winter. As soon as winter was over, it was time for billions of biting bugs, tornados, severe thunder storms, humidity, and straight-line winds. Tons of never ending yard work, raking and shoveling. Plus there isn't a lot to do unless you love hunting and fishing. I was miserable but I stayed for the money and the better retirement. And just to be fair, the people were great and I miss them.

It worked out in the end and I finally got to see that place in my rear-view mirror. But it was 15 years of Hell to get there. I did what I had to do to make it in the long run.

Old 05-18-2011, 04:54 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
I took a job in the Ghetto of the United States, because the pay was good, and the job was fantastic. Now, I just keep waiting to get out. I think that I am stuck here for life. I don't even know why people move here, or live here...if I had a choice, I would leave in a heartbeat. I can't stand large cities, it is hot here, no mountains, or snow...the bugs are the size of pets...

But...it was a career move to come here, and I am at the top of the food chain now. Now, if only I can live where I want, and be at the top. Hopefully, it will happen, I still have 25 years to go of working.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:14 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavalake View Post
Obviously, in this kind of economy, a lot of people will have to make tough decisions about less-than-desirable situations. I was wondering if anyone had to decide between relocating to a city that you absolutely hated because you finally got a job offer and continuing to hunt for a position in a city you loved, but was more competitive job-wise. If you did relocate, were you ever able to make it back to your original city? And if you decided to roll the dice and stay where you are, did you regret your decision or did it work out?
I would certainly relocate to a city I hate for a good job. The way I see it, a good job can turn a city I hate into a city I love. A minimum wage job can turn a city I love into a city I hate because the financial pressure would be too much. At least with a good job, you can go out and enjoy things. You can't enjoy anything while working minimum wage.

One thing I learned while living on unemployment is that the whole "money doesn't buy happiness" is crap. Okay, so you don't need to be rich to be happy, but you need to have enough so that you are not forced to be on welfare, food stamps, or Medicaid to survive.

A good job is priceless and relocating to a city I hate is a price I am willing to pay for a good job.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:36 PM

604 posts, read 856,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I took a job in the Ghetto of the United States, because the pay was good, and the job was fantastic. Now, I just keep waiting to get out. I think that I am stuck here for life. I don't even know why people move here, or live here...if I had a choice, I would leave in a heartbeat. I can't stand large cities, it is hot here, no mountains, or snow...the bugs are the size of pets...

But...it was a career move to come here, and I am at the top of the food chain now. Now, if only I can live where I want, and be at the top. Hopefully, it will happen, I still have 25 years to go of working.
I could say almost the exact same thing. Jasper12 and I are in the same part of the world, and I came here for the same reasons: a good job with good pay. But as good as the work experience has been, I'm ready to leverage it and move on to something else because if I stay I'll continue to stagnate. I've reached the top of my food chain too, and I want a new challenge. I went back to school, am finishing my doctorate, and then I'm out of here.

Even though there are some nice things here, it's not enough to keep me. The heat knocks me flat in the summer, there are too many people here, and I would rather spend my energy doing what I'm good at than putting my mental armor on every morning before fighting the other 2.5 million people in this county to get done what I need to do every day.

Was it worth it? My answer is a qualified yes: I have some unique, high-value skills that I could only have gotten in a few places. But I should have listened to that little voice that said come on, time to go, and been out of here before the economy crashed. Would I do it again? Yes, but only by the slimmest of margins. Florida will be an easy place to leave.

Old 05-19-2011, 01:20 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,351,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post

Ditto. I had some erstwhile recommendations that, if I could not find a suitable job in this area, even with commuting, we should sell our home and RELOCATE. Easier said than done. Though we have a nice rural home on some acreage, home sales here are worse than stagnate. Some homes/farmettes are abandoned with mile high grass. If we did sell, we would not get nearly what we invested in our place through our hard work over the 15+ years and, worse, there is no way we could live in a townhouse/suburban/urban setting with neighbors/noise/traffic and not go insane. Plus, we'd have mortgage or rent payments (we don't here, because our mortgage is paid off). Just not worth it, to us at least. Besides DH (who is a bit older than me), isn't job seeking, and he would refuse to move. He has a little "retirement" business that is starting to do reasonably well here.

Old 05-19-2011, 06:46 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,004,316 times
I really had not planned on moving back to Alaska after college. But after spending two years looking for work elsewhere I ended up back in Alaska. While I do not "hate" where I live, I do not like the winters. Every year I would say "Once it starts snowing I am outta here" Have been saying that for 28 years.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:53 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,365,699 times
If I could sell my property I'd move in a heartbeat for a job, even if it meant moving to an undesirable area. In fact, if I can ever sell, I do plan on moving for a few years to an area I really don't want to got to for a job, I let my nursing license lapse in this state and can't get it reinstated without big bucks I don't have to take a refresher course, however, I've maintained it through online CE's in another state so I could go to work right away, do I want to live in that state, nope, but they've got jobs for LPN's and I'm sure I could get one. Once I get a few years under my belt, I'll be able to move again, preferably back home to the PNW if there is a market, if not I'll still move back out west somewhere, depending on the jobs available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment